Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Igilligan

DA 40 - why don't I use this more?

It has got to be the easiest to use, work horse of a lens. And yet it stays in the bag way too much... Left unused in favor of whatever the favorite 'lens of the week' is. I used it for only a few shots at thanksgiving... but when I got home and look at the monitor I asked myself... why dont I use this more???

Just look at the detail in this snapshot.

and a couple of older shots

12-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Funny, I was thinking about starting a thread titled "HELP, DA40mm Ltd is stuck on my camera!" because I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to use another lens.

Those are all great photos.
12-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a gorgeous lens isn't it? Nice work with it.

edit: I will pimp my 40 DA shot with stacked closeup filters: http://storpotaten.blogspot.com/2008/10/pentax-4028-da-does-macro.html

Last edited by pingflood; 12-04-2008 at 07:45 PM.
12-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice!

12-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Lovin' the bokeh. I just got another copy of this lens. This time it's a keeper.
12-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gus, it's simple... I had to go confirm that you already have quite a few lenses... egad.

Sounds like you need to use it or lose it.

Cheers,
Marc
12-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gus,

Beautiful Pictures. Lovely Bokeh! Prettiest angel worth every photo opportunity in outings and a Dad to be proud of.

The right thing to do is to trim your LBA glories in the 28, 35, 40, 50, 55 into single lens in each focal length. It is a lot of work to trim and manage LBA. You look at me! It takes 7 coffee (read 7 days) average to line up with a buyer.

At the end, it is worth the headache. The harder to sell, the better lesson to learn next time you buy. Think again honestly with the rational part of your mind and go home talk to your similar lens for approval! But we are just human as your signature go -- buy what make you happy, anything else make us less happy -- our emotional mind.

And in the LBA epidemic, any lens make one's happy for a moment or two, may be longer with limited and DA*. Each is different and unique, and hence the fun! Buying lens is the best cure for boredom -- Hin's patent in LBA management.

You can't change your wife, your work, your life easily, but you can change your lens everyday

I have the expensive and illogical capitalistic mind. I suggest to have a plan, I have my plan on focal length, what I am after, what I have in the past and how I enjoyed and hated as a consumer

Last edited by hinman; 12-04-2008 at 11:54 PM.
12-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Funny, I was thinking about starting a thread titled "HELP, DA40mm Ltd is stuck on my camera!" because I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to use another lens.

I know that could be an easy problem to have. If I was just faster with my foot zoomin'

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
It's a gorgeous lens isn't it? Nice work with it.

edit: I will pimp my 40 DA shot with stacked closeup filters: storpotaten: The Pentax 40/2.8 DA does "macro"
I pimp mine out too... I think the last shot I posted is with the DA40 + sony 3358.
I think it really does well with macro filters on it.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Very nice!
After those tantalizing shots you posted in the Devil thread... I am taking your comments here as a real compliment... Mr El Diablo

Honestly jsherman666, that is the perfect kit for a new owner... I have every one of those lenses and I bet my copies are not even as nice
as the ones you are almost giving away... oh to be a newbie again.

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Lovin' the bokeh. I just got another copy of this lens. This time it's a keeper.
I can't imagine you could let it get away a second time. I mean it takes up no room in the bag... but that may be part of the problem for me...
I always have a big lens sitting on the camera when I pack it in there, so when I pull the camera out to start shootin' the darn Tammy 28-75
is already on it... so I forget to throw the da on the cam...

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Gus, it's simple... I had to go confirm that you already have quite a few lenses... egad.

Sounds like you need to use it or lose it.
Cheers,
Marc
Hi Marc,
I did not even remember what list you were refering too... and sadly when I just looked at it, it is woefully/sadly under-represented.
I had the ebay bug early and often. Can you tell?

Lately I have been more selective... jupiter 9 + helios 44m are my faves of the month...
And I have even resisted 2 others that I "need"
12-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This lens has always puzzled me, the 35 f/2 is pretty damn close in focal length and a fairly small lens. It is also considerably faster .... so why the 40?
12-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
Igilligan

Hin you are wise beyond you lenses...

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Gus,

Beautiful Pictures. Lovely Bokeh! Prettiest angel worth every photo opportunity in outings and a Dad to be proud of.

thank you Hin

The right thing to do is to trim your LBA glories in the 28, 35, 40, 50, 55 into single lens in each focal length. It is a lot of work to trim and manage LBA. You look at me! It takes 7 coffee (read 7 days) average to line up with a buyer.

I cant do it Hin... I have tried... I cant do it

At the end, it is worth the headache. The harder to sell, the better lesson to learn next time you buy. Think again honestly with the rational part of your mind and go home talk to your similar lens for approval! But we are just human as your signature go -- buy what make you happy, anything else make us less happy -- our emotional mind.

And in the LBA epidemic, any lens make one's happy for a moment or two, may be longer with limited and DA*. Each is different and unique, and hence the fun! Buying lens is the best cure for boredom -- Hin's patent in LBA management.

You speak the truth

You can't change your wife, your work, your life easily, but you can change your lens everyday

I have the expensive and illogical capitalistic mind. I suggest to have a plan, I have my plan on focal length, what I am after, what I have in the past and how I enjoyed and hated as a consumer

I do need to settle on a plan... And when you and I go to lunch,
and I shoot your K20d with that 50-135 on it
... I will know if my plan makes any sense
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
Igilligan

Size and the 'ltd' mistique

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
This lens has always puzzled me, the 35 f/2 is pretty damn close in focal length and a fairly small lens. It is also considerably faster .... so why the 40?
For me it was inexpensive, (used) and the poor mans entry into the "World of Limited's".
I also seem to be less a fan of my FA 50 1.4 than many folks, and I saw the build of the
FA 35 to be very similar, so when the DA 40 came up I went for it.

I realize now that the FA 35 would have been a better fit for me than the FA 50... and I wish
I had originally spent the extra $100 and got the 35 as my first AF prime.
12-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
...I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to use another lens.

Agree... it's a super lens. I liked it so much that I gave my copy to my son-in-law for g-kiddie picts.

Here's one of my DA 40 Ltd examples from last summer. (My neighbor, Annie.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
12-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I'm sort of with you on this one. For me, just like Igillian, it was cheap, it was a fantastic lens, and it had excellent un-matched (For it's price) build quality. It was my first lens upgrade from the kit lens, actually.

For the ONE wedding where I was the main photographer, all I had for decent lenses was the DA 40 Ltd. Having a flash helped, but the DA40 Ltd was the butt-saver.

But now that I've tried the DA 35 Macro Ltd, I'm beginning to really like the focal length (atleast on a digital). The DA 40 Ltd is a great lens, but I've begun to realize that it's a bit of a weird focal length for me now (although some of my most creative expressive shots have come from it). I'm just feeling now that the DA 35mm might express more of what my style is. I blame LBA.
12-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The only reason I don't use it more often, is the last time I had it on my K20D, I forgot it was on the camera and tried to mount my 50-135 on to the body and thought that my mount was broken...
12-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Igilligan

Ben, that may be the best reason to leave it off of the camera I have heard... I am still grinning...