Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
This lens has always puzzled me, the 35 f/2 is pretty damn close in focal length and a fairly small lens. It is also considerably faster .... so why the 40?
It's a personal call, but I like the 40mm focal length better. I also like that is has quick shift, and is probably the fastest focusing lens Pentax makes.

12-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I don't have the 40, but I do have the 43 and I find it to be a more practical length for everyday shooting than the DA35 that I have. The next lens on my to-buy list is the Sigma 105 macro and I'll be curious as to which one I'll like shooting with better. If the Sigma 105 wins, then I might consider trading my DA35 for a DA21, so my prime kit FLs will be 21, 43, and 105.

Heather
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I would get the Tamron ahead of the sigma. The Sigma is a ssharp as the D-FA macro but it's too warm.
12-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I think a good compromise in FL would be the Sigma 70 - bigger FOV than 100mm, but still gets you out of the bug's "personal space".

Plus, it's blisteringly sharp, and has really good color - more like Pentax color than Sigma.

12-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
This lens has always puzzled me, the 35 f/2 is pretty damn close in focal length and a fairly small lens. It is also considerably faster .... so why the 40?
I have both of the these lenses. Normally, I use the 40 (along with my DA 21 and 70) when I travel or when I'll be hauling a camera bag around all day and want to keep the load light. The 40 is only one stop slower than a 35, and, as someone else pointed out, it focuses very quickly.

Typically, I carry the 35 (in combination with a couple of zooms) for a high-speed option; this rig usually follows me to the boat or other places where the bag will be off of my shoulder most of the time.

Irrationally, I also want an FA 43 limited and will probably get it when the left side of my brain outwits the right side.

Jer
12-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In praise of the 43mm...

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I don't have the 40, but I do have the 43 and I find it to be a more practical length for everyday shooting than the DA35 that I have. The next lens on my to-buy list is the Sigma 105 macro and I'll be curious as to which one I'll like shooting with better. If the Sigma 105 wins, then I might consider trading my DA35 for a DA21, so my prime kit FLs will be 21, 43, and 105.
I have to agree with you, Heather.

I've had (and sold) the 50 f/1.4 to get my current 43. I know nothing of field of view, or what the "normal" lens is; if I want more stuff in the image I back up, it I want less, I get closer, and either way, this lens delivers. It has great resolution to be sure, but more than that, it captures an ineffable quality of light that seems right to me. Eventually I'd like to have two more primes, one around 24 or so and another around 85 or so... but only if it have the same "rightness" to my eye, whatever the hell that means,
Brian (FHPhotographer)
12-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Sigma 70 or 77Ltd?

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I think a good compromise in FL would be the Sigma 70 - bigger FOV than 100mm, but still gets you out of the bug's "personal space".

Plus, it's blisteringly sharp, and has really good color - more like Pentax color than Sigma. .
I see you have both the Sigma 70 and the FA 77 Ltd.

Macro aside (and the bulk and weight) when contrasting the Sigma with the 77, do you get something with the 77Ltd that you don't get with the Sigma in non-macro use?
Brian

12-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Irrationally, I also want an FA 43 limited and will probably get it when the left side of my brain outwits the right side.

Jer

Oh, the left and right side of my brain is in a constant state of war over the wanting and buying of more glass... but with me, it seems less a battle of wits, and more a question of which side has the most brain cells left on any given day...

Today the right side seems to be about 5 cells ahead... but a trip to the forum market place, or the dreaded ebay, will wipe out a bunch of the right side and then the buying begins again....
12-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote

Oh, the left and right side of my brain is in a constant state of war over the wanting and buying of more glass... but with me, it seems less a battle of wits, and more a question of which side has the most brain cells left on any given day...

Today the right side seems to be about 5 cells ahead... but a trip to the forum market place, or the dreaded ebay, will wipe out a bunch of the right side and then the buying begins again....
I hear ya' about the brain cells Gus, and I'd love to discuss it, but I gotta run to the fridge for another cold one . . . . . .

Jer
12-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I see you have both the Sigma 70 and the FA 77 Ltd.

Macro aside (and the bulk and weight) when contrasting the Sigma with the 77, do you get something with the 77Ltd that you don't get with the Sigma in non-macro use?
Brian
Yes - f/1.8 vs. f/2.8. Makes a world of difference in what environments each can best be used, gives much different DOF, etc.

I had the 77 before I got the Sigma 70, but wanted a mid-FL macro that could double as a regular short telephoto/portrait lens. Plus, having sold the FA 50 2.8 macro earlier, I was hankerin' for something just eye-bleedingly sharp to have in the arsenal. The Sigma 70 fit the bill for everything.

It's really superb.

EDIT: Also, I'm confused - I think I intended that original "Sigma 70 suggestion" post Brian quoted to go into a different thread, one about the DA 35ltd vs. 100 macro... Must have been posting in wrong thread...? If so, sorry Gus...

Last edited by jsherman999; 12-06-2008 at 06:51 PM.
12-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Some shots taken with the DA40:

12-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Merry Christmas from my DA 40mm
Attached Images

12-25-2008, 07:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

soccerjoe5 -- I wanted to take a bite out of your pics. Man, their good.
12-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

cardinal43 > thank you, tom someday you should try the polvoron (the first 2 photos), they're flavored milk candy that's packed into these little shapes. It's a delicacy here, cheap and yummy. Someday when you visit the Philippines! Merry Christmas!
12-26-2008, 01:47 AM   #30
axl
Veteran Member

good question to ask Gus. Me, like few other posters above, simply can't take that lens off my camera. It's getting stuck there... nearly like on of the ricoh mount lenses .
The most common reasons for me to take it off are:
- I want to go wider (Sigma 10-20 comes to play, I sill don't have anything decent to fill the gap between these two)
- very low light indoors (F50/1.7 comes to play, I still don't have anything wider than 50 with f2 or faster)
for the rest of my images I'm 99% happy to take them with DA40ltd. It's an excellent performer, brutaly sharp from edge to edge, and great colours rendition. I really think you should use it more often. You won't regret it!
BR