Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2021, 06:13 AM   #1

Pentax K1 and 24-70mm FA lens - filters

If I fit a UV filter to my 24-70 FA lens to protect the front element (the lens hood falls off in my bag ALL THE TIME) will it affect image quality? I'm especially concerned about sharpness. Any ideas guys?

10-29-2021, 06:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gwoodward Quote
If I fit a UV filter to my 24-70 FA lens to protect the front element (the lens hood falls off in my bag ALL THE TIME) will it affect image quality? I'm especially concerned about sharpness. Any ideas guys?
Unlikely to affect sharpness unless you let it get dirty and you shoot where the sun can induce flare in the image.

Just a thought though, how about using the lens cap when it is in the bag
10-29-2021, 07:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The other thing to consider is that the front of your lens filter (if you use one) might get scratched or dirty if the lens hood won't stay on in the bag, so ditto to pschulte's suggestion. I've used a lot of UV lens filters with mostly positive results in terms of IQ (don't get an off-brand one). The biggest issue is probably reflections (when shooting into bright light) but if you get a multi-coated filter that issue is greatly reduced. There's a spectrum of thoughts when it comes to using a UV filter so be prepared to hear other opinions on using them.
10-29-2021, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Several PF members will disagree with me, but I use filters routinely with no issues . Buy high quality filters and you should have very few concerns with color issues.

Rather than lens caps which might not fit over the filters, Consider using the rubber lens caps from Kuvrd, they come in two sizes and stretch to fit. They also add some protection. They also make a lens hood which might suit your needs

10-29-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I'm usually member of the anti filter gang.

Though, I'll admit that protection filters have a place if you're planning on hiking across difficult terrain or are planning on spending some time in a sandy/dusty environment.

If a protection filter helps you feel confident getting your gear out of your bag and into your hands, I say go for it.

Just remember that not all filters are made equally. Lower quality filters may reduce the image quality of your lenses. I've noticed this to be particularly true with lenses sporting long focal lengths (like the da* 300mm). So, if you're going to buy a filter, buy a quality one. Some of my favorite brands of quality filters include Kenko, B&W, and Hoya.

Be sure to buy your filters from a reputable source. Ideally, your local camera shop. There is a scourge of counterfeit filters online (at least that was my experience a few years ago).

Good luck!
10-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I often use such a protective filter especially if the lens front element is not recessed or is otherwise subject to damage. But I always use a high-quality multi-coated filter. I've never been able to show a reduction in image quality when using such a filter. Then when there is no threat against the lens and I am being very picky about a certain scene, I can always quickly remove the filter temporarily.
10-30-2021, 02:05 AM   #7

Don't Pentax deliver filters anymore. HD ones? 🤔

---------- Post added 10-30-21 at 11:08 AM ----------

Doesn't Pentax deliver filters anymore. HD ones? 🤔

10-30-2021, 03:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
Don't Pentax deliver filters anymore. HD ones? 🤔
No.

Filters had a big role in film photography : Skylight to get the white balance correct, warming or cooling filters for the same reason. UV to reduce haze. Coloured filters for black and white photography. Special effect filters like starbursts.

All the above can be done easily in PP with a digital image.

Some filters still have their place with a DSLR. Polarisers to reduce reflections and intensify blue skies. ND and ND Graduated filters also are still used, although can be replicated with HDR merges in software, or selective brightening/darkening.

As pointed out above, a clear or UV filter can be used as protection especially if you are shooting in sandy/dusty or caustic environments.

But generally a filter is optional. I don't use them except ND/ND Grads.
10-30-2021, 03:20 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No.

Filters had a big role in film photography : Skylight to get the white balance correct, warming or cooling filters for the same reason. UV to reduce haze. Coloured filters for black and white photography. Special effect filters like starbursts.

Some filters still have their place with a DSLR. Polarisers to reduce reflections and intensify blue skies. ND and ND Graduated filters also are still used, although can be replicated with HDR merges in software, or selective brightening/darkening.

As pointed out above, a clear or UV filter can be used as protection especially if you are shooting in sandy/dusty or caustic environments.

However, a hight class protectiv splitfree glass is on my wishlist.

---------- Post added 10-30-21 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No.

However, a hight class protectiv glass is on my wishlist.
10-30-2021, 04:35 AM   #10
Forum Member

Life without lens caps is a beautiful thing. Ideally a filter hood combination to protect the filter glass. Maybe a smaller after market hood is an option. The IQ impact of the filter is negligible as long as you get a decent one.
10-30-2021, 05:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggest an alternative hood with an integrated cap would be a better solution. The filter will get dirty and possibly scratched if it isn’t protected too.

The slip over lens covers that were mentioned work well even over hoods but yours isn’t staying on which is weird. Hoods typically stay attached.
10-31-2021, 07:08 AM   #12

Original Poster
Hi Guys. There seems to be some confusion. The hood stays on my 24-70mm zoom without any problems - it's the lens cap that falls off. In my bag, the lens hood protects anything brushing by the lens but not dirt and dust etc. So, I don't need a replacement lens hood. Based on the replies it gives me the impetus to cover the end of the lens with a sock-like cover instead of the lens cap. Thanks for all the suggestions.
10-31-2021, 08:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gwoodward Quote
If I fit a UV filter to my 24-70 FA lens to protect the front element (the lens hood falls off in my bag ALL THE TIME) will it affect image quality?
The reason for the confusion… lol.

The sock style caps work well.