Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2021, 10:38 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bad2thegnome Quote
. . . I currently have the DFA 28-105, HD FA 77mm ltd, FA 43mm ltd, and a 50mm f2.. . . .
limiteds are small

take them

10-31-2021, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Road trip, not a plane/train/bus?

On all of my road trips, I took it all. No need to trim. In fact, I take different bags and sometimes both my large and travel tripods so I have the flexibility for hikes.

It's only on planes that I curtail my kit significantly, and if on other forms of public transportation I just think about the pain in the blank factor wrangling luggage.
10-31-2021, 04:21 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed the 28-105 is a hard lens to take off the K-1. For some of the scenery, was a little disappointed, looking for wider/closer field of view and settled on the 15-30. It's a bit of a piece of equipment but the results are superb. As many have mentioned, having something in the 450 range is always good also (still have a Sigma 150-500 that works well on the K-1)
Attached Images

10-31-2021, 04:39 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm from that area. December is a picturesque time of year on the coast. An ultra wide would be nice for the dramatic beach sunsets, but a short tele like the 77 is nice too. Of course you will use the 28-105 most of the time. You'll definitely want a tele lens, not just for wildlife, but the long beach/mountain landscape shots that are plentiful. I'd consider renting as well. Try to get to 300mm but the 70-210 with a tc and or crop mode would do. Even the little 55-300 in crop mode.
Have fun!

10-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening, Overall, I would think that the 28-105 will probably be your main lens, staying on the K1 for most of the time. For wide-angle scenes than what 28mm can handle, I would shoot stitched panoramas (put the camera into portrait mode, and then overlap by a third). That approach would be something that I would practice a bit on, before traveling. The 28-105 is a very capable lens, punching way above its weight in terms of image quality. It has some very good reviews around here.

200 is really not that much longer than 105. I would think of possibly looking at something going to 300. Others here are better with the longer focal lengths, in terms of suggestions.

Lots of scenery along the coast to shoot. Should be a very enjoyable time.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely bring my kit lens with me as my primary walk-around lens!
11-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Like most here, I'd suggest something a bit longer, too...
What that is can differ, depending on your preferences... there are quite a few options...

The DFA 70-210 f4 is an obvious choice, though far from inexpensive, considering its range.

There are a number of 70-210/70-300 lenses available used as well.
I have the old F70-210 f4-5.6, and it is great for the price (they are extremely inexpensive, generally), though not up to the level of the newest lenses.
I also have a DA-L 55-300, which vignettes less than I expected on the K1. It is also less expensive than the modern (and highly regarded) 55-300 PLM, which vignettes a bit more, so I've heard.
Or even recent models from Tamron and Sigma. Inexpensive, but less awesome on a K1...
All of these options are small and light, though you're giving up some qualities for that...

I rarely take my long primes on road trips -- generally just the zooms, because of the convenience.
But my road trips rarely have opportunities for tripods and such, so that plays into the choices...
My 300mm f4 is also an antique, so it's not awesome on the K1. I might change my mind with newer glass

-Eric
11-26-2021, 08:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go long!

On my infrequent trips to the Pacific Coast, I've used my DA*300/4 more than I use it anywhere else. I seem to see more faraway things to shoot, like sea stacks and lighthouses. I hate the weight and I resent the bulk, but it's really not any worse than Nikon or Canon 70-200/2.8 zooms. Even the Micro Four Thirds 300/4 is a pound heavier. Yes, it acts like a 600mm on those cameras, but I'd rather just crop my K-1 image by 2x.

I usually see and shoot wide. But when you need a long lens, there's really no substitute.

11-27-2021, 06:36 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bad2thegnome Quote
Are there any lens suggestions to buy before this 2 week trip? I don’t have a ultra wide angle but I figured 28mm is wide enough. Any recommendations are welcome thank you!
Easy, you need the new D FA 21mm
Seriously though, take the 28-105 and the 2 limiteds and have fun!