Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2021, 09:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Travel lens advice

Hello I am going on a road trip to the redwoods in December. I’ll be driving up the coast camping or Arbnb along the way. I wanted to know which lenses I should bring with me to accompany my K1. I currently have the DFA 28-105, HD FA 77mm ltd, FA 43mm ltd, and a 50mm f2. I am bringing my good tripod, some ND filters, and a backup battery.

Are there any lens suggestions to buy before this 2 week trip? I don’t have a ultra wide angle but I figured 28mm is wide enough. Any recommendations are welcome thank you!

Mostly interested in shooting nature/landscape/wildlife. Unfortunately I don’t have a true telephoto lens past the 105 focal length. I’ve thought about the 70-200 in the past.

10-30-2021, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evening, Overall, I would think that the 28-105 will probably be your main lens, staying on the K1 for most of the time. For wide-angle scenes than what 28mm can handle, I would shoot stitched panoramas (put the camera into portrait mode, and then overlap by a third). That approach would be something that I would practice a bit on, before traveling. The 28-105 is a very capable lens, punching way above its weight in terms of image quality. It has some very good reviews around here.

200 is really not that much longer than 105. I would think of possibly looking at something going to 300. Others here are better with the longer focal lengths, in terms of suggestions.

Lots of scenery along the coast to shoot. Should be a very enjoyable time.

10-31-2021, 01:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If your nature and wildlife interests extend to insects and flowers you might want to consider bringing a macro lens (e.g. the Pentax 100mm f2.8).
10-31-2021, 01:14 AM   #4

Since you are always outdoors, you could think of investing a little money for a 24-50, even manual focus that has an excellent definition, and a 100 macro WR. With only two optics you could have an almost complete coverage, just crop a little and you have everything you need.

10-31-2021, 01:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The 28-105 should cover most of your needs, with the faster primes also getting use in poor light. For nature, I would be looking to add a telephoto before an ultrawide. The DFA 70-210 f/4 may be a good choice, as it is much cheaper and lighter than the DFA* 70-200. Anything longer and you're getting into big $$$, at least until the full frame ~65-300 on the lens roadmap appears.
10-31-2021, 02:27 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Bring the 43mm

Bring the 43mm. When combining the three factors of weight, size, and image quality, it can't be beaten.

Here's what this little thing can do on the K-1
Attached Images

10-31-2021, 02:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As always, I first ask what kind of photographer you are, and more importantly, what kind of photographer do your travelling companions prefer you are?

Personally, I'm the type who will give 5 minutes consideration to the days activities and locations, choose one lens accordingly, then make the best of whichever lens is on the camera for 90% of the subjects I come across. I always have a DA 40 XS in my bag renders so well when I need a wider prime, it takes up Almost no space.

The 28-105 will probably be most useful. The FA 77mm is amazing on the K-1, that would be the second lens for me, and then I wouldn't take the 43mm or the 50mm.

10-31-2021, 03:15 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Any 40mm shouldn't even be a question. The 40mm limited/xs and the 43 all virtually take no space and are excellent in their range. To me it's an always pack.
10-31-2021, 04:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bad2thegnome Quote
Hello I am going on a road trip to the redwoods in December. I’ll be driving up the coast camping or Arbnb along the way. I wanted to know which lenses I should bring with me to accompany my K1. I currently have the DFA 28-105, HD FA 77mm ltd, FA 43mm ltd, and a 50mm f2. I am bringing my good tripod, some ND filters, and a backup battery.

Are there any lens suggestions to buy before this 2 week trip? I don’t have a ultra wide angle but I figured 28mm is wide enough. Any recommendations are welcome thank you!

Mostly interested in shooting nature/landscape/wildlife. Unfortunately I don’t have a true telephoto lens past the 105 focal length. I’ve thought about the 70-200 in the past.
I shoot the same type of subjects, but with a KP, and I don't have any of your lenses. Like everyone else I feel your 28-105 is a no brainer. I used to have a Tamron 70-200, it didn't do much for wildlife of nature. The Pentax lens I would recommend would be the DFA150-450, or the DA*300. I have the DA*300 and use it a lot, almost always with the DA converter. If you don't want to spend as much the DA55-300PLM is a good way to get into a longer length, of course in crop mode on your K-1. Of course if you do want wider, teh DFA 21 is coming soon.
10-31-2021, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with all those who think you need a lot of reach for wildlife. The 150-450 would be a reasonable option, but it costs.

You could look for a da 300 and TC. For wild life don’t worry about vignetting, you will usually be cropping in.

But my concern is you have an assortment of lenses that are aimed at landscape and urban, but you are saying you want to shoot wildlife and nature.

The options discussed are expensive for what appears to a new direction in your photography
10-31-2021, 05:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take the 28-105. Take the FA 43.

If you really want some wildlife shots of small birds and squirrels you probably need longer reach than you have. One option is that you could rent some additional gear.

Possible rental options:
Da 55-300 plm
Da 300
D fa 150-460
Apsc 24mp body like KP or k-3iii
10-31-2021, 06:07 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bad2thegnome Quote
. . . I currently have the DFA 28-105, HD FA 77mm ltd, FA 43mm ltd, and a 50mm f2. I am bringing my good tripod, some ND filters, and a backup battery. . . . Any recommendations are welcome thank you!

Mostly interested in shooting nature/landscape/wildlife. , . . . .
no indication of the OP's budget but I would recommend the costs of renting equipment be investigated

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
an issue has arisen, at least in my small mind, that it might be helpful for members to know what businesses reliably offer rental of cameras, lenses and other gear

I suggest that we all help each other by listing such companies in this thread and let others know of our actual experiences with such businesses.. . .
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

a true wide angle lens for landscape

a true telephoto for wildlife

if the OP gets on the mailing list for LensRental.com there is a chance of receiving discounts to help with the expense

only other thought is a back up camera in case the OP wants one type of lens on one camera and another on the second and, in case of, the worse case a camera goes down

the OP could also be watching the forums' marketplace " buy/sell " to see if any " bargains " appear

it can be sorted by country -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-31-2021 at 06:12 AM.
10-31-2021, 06:23 AM - 7 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DFA 28-105 mm HD can be used almost exclusively with the K1 on road trips.

YOSEMITE, CALIFORNIA

PALM SPRINGS AERIAL TRAMWAY, CALIFORNIA

JOSHUA TREE, CALIFORNIA

SANTA BARBARA MISSION, CALIFORNIA

PETRIFIED FOREST, ARIZONA

ATOP MOUNT SAN JACINTO, CALIFORNIA

GRAND CANYON, ARIZONA (@ 28 mm)

GRAND CANYON, ARIZONA (@ 105 mm)

GRAND CANYON, ARIZONA

METEOR CRATER, ARIZONA

Only lenses missing might be an ultra-wide-angle (like an FA 20 mm f/2.8) for architecture or to show the majesty of the giant redwoods and a longer telephoto (like the FA 300 mm f/4.5).

SAN XAVIER MISSION, ARIZONA with the FA 20 mm f/2.8

WINDMILLS, OKLAHOMA, along Interstate 40, with an FA 300 mm f/4.5.

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 10-31-2021 at 06:46 AM.
10-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My dads favorite wide angle is 28mm. So the wide end could be acceptable. Cropping the 36mp K-1 will give some flexibility with the 105 but I think a 300 is the minimum to have much chance for small wildlife shots that you’d want to keep. But tamer wildlife may allow a patient photographer to get images worth keeping with the 105.
10-31-2021, 09:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I agree with others that for wildlife the DFA 150-450mm would be a good idea, but is expensive, large, and very weighty. In terms of wildlife, you might want to ask what would be expected in the area you will be visiting. And how important to your interest. A DA* 300mm f/4 with a TC would be a less bulky alternative, as would a DA* 200mm f/2.8 with TC instead of a DFA 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens.

However, I do agree with Richard L that your DFA 28-105mm is great for scenics. And also that your 43 and 77mm Ltds are very compact to carry in any case- so be sure to take them!. They can deliver fine results for low light use, and for portraits of your companions. I was once on a woodsy walk with a young friend, having my brand new FA 77mm Ltd along and decided to take my first shot with it. When we came to a clearing, I put the lens on my 35mm camera body and said, "Let me get a shot of you here" which was done very quickly. One shot. It came out so well, he said it was the best photo of himself ever taken, even compared to his graduation pictures done by a professional portrait studio!