Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2021, 06:34 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First impressions DA* 11-18 vs DA 12-24

This last month I obtained a used DA* 11-18 f2.8 from Amazon. I’m shouting with it and my DA 12-24 this month to determine if I need to keep only one of these or if I need both!

Flickr folder of comparison shots:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmX4GFwt

First impressions:

The DA* looks physically imposing and is more aesthetically pleasing. It’s heavy, dense and chunky by comparison. However this weight and forth is not very noticeable once it is mounted -assuming good handholding technique is employed. The DA* offers good close focus and the wider aperture allows easier to setup subject isolation. The DA* has a typical HD lens character - flare is well handled and starbursts are difficult to coax from the lens.

By comparison the DA 12-24 seems quite small and light. Previously I’d thought of this lens as bulky - because my alternative choice was the DA 15 Ltd. The DA’s lens hood seems more ungainly than the DA*’s I suspect because the lens body is quite slim up until the front element. Focusing, which has never bothered me before, seems jittery and slow when compared to the DA*.

What I’m surprised by:

Focal length differences seem less important than I anticipated. Using 11mm isn’t that much different than using 12mm, and using 18mm isn’t that much different than using 24mm. In practical terms a very small amount of movement by the photographer often can erase the differences in focal length.

Image quality, as expected, isn’t drastically better on either lens. I’ve only just started the comparison so I can’t accurately say much about this but the images are not easy to differentiate by quality as much as characteristics such as depth of field or flare handling.

I will point out that I am not carefully and methodically setting up identical shots. I am using both as I would. Each is mounted on a different body and sometimes I walk with one body in a direction taking shots and then back duplicating the basic subjects but not always the exact shot. For me this is more useful as it gives me a more organic feel for the lenses as I would use them. For similar reasons I’m not methodically keeping exposure and aperture identical. So this isn’t a straightforward competitive lens review. I’ve do doubt the DA* is the better lens - the question is, do I like one lens more than the other for my shooting style?

More to follow, I’m still working on the logistics and processing initial shots.

IMGP0849_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

IMGP0616_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-04-2021 at 03:25 PM.
11-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are surely correct about the regular, everyday use of the lenses. At the end the shots that are important are the ones to be optically analyzed. Studio shots maybe more important to peepers. The part that I keep is the minimal difference between 18 and 24 mm. I would definitely expect a noticeable gap. Flaring is welcome at most cases for me, so I wouldn’t mind getting the old lens.
11-03-2021, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
IMGP0851_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

IMGP0614_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

We call him George.
11-03-2021, 06:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

well ...

... nice to read your experience.

My most valuable benefit of DA* 11-18 was the flare resistance, much better than the one of DA 12-24/4. It is interesting to see that you saw no bigger difference.

As for sharpness - I know that 12-24/4 is quite good in sharpness.

My other benefits over 12-24/4 (in favor of DA* 11-18/2,8) were - overall handling, AW construction, focus clamp and much more reliable AF when used for reports.

11-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your 11-18 seems to expose brighter than the 12-24. The 12-24 images look more dramatic as a consequence. Did you apply any post processing to these images, other than the obvious B&W? I'd be tempted to click the "auto" setting for exposure just to put them on an even keel.
11-03-2021, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote

My most valuable benefit of DA* 11-18 was the flare resistance, much better than the one of DA 12-24/4. It is interesting to see that you saw no bigger difference.

As for sharpness - I know that 12-24/4 is quite good in sharpness.

My other benefits over 12-24/4 (in favor of DA* 11-18/2,8) were - overall handling, AW construction, focus clamp and much more reliable AF when used for reports.
plus screw drive vs. DC
11-03-2021, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote

This is ongoing. I had a typo in my earlier post that read “flare outs” rather than “flare is” - which was indicating flare is well handled as is normal for an HD lens. My angst is that the DA 15 handles flare as well and still gives starbursts which I like. The 12-24 handles this worse but still gives starbursts.

---------- Post added 11-03-21 at 03:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Your 11-18 seems to expose brighter than the 12-24. The 12-24 images look more dramatic as a consequence. Did you apply any post processing to these images, other than the obvious B&W? I'd be tempted to click the "auto" setting for exposure just to put them on an even keel.
Also bear in mind they are being used time shifted some. The time selected in those shots was during sunset and the light changed as the day progressed. The lenses are also on two bodies which I swap daily for the sake of fairness. It’s also possible exposure compensation was applied. These are not SOOC as indicated in the images on Flickr.

I will drop some SOOC images into a folder as more time passes. The two examples shown are more about general focal length and use.

11-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am following this thread, I am trying to decide which of these lenses to buy. I need to know if the 11-18 is worth $1000.00 more than what seems to be the going price of the 12-24. ( I honestly doubt that is the case.)
Thank you for your comparison. I look forward to more samples.
11-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As part of your comparison, do you plan on including wide-field astrophotography or cold weather landscape? Provisions for a dew heater and focus clamp may justify the price for many.

Steve
11-04-2021, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several practical matters for the DA* 11-18mm, one of course being the f/2.8 aperture which can be a very important factor, then others like WR, and fast silent DC AF. However, the zoom range of the 12-24mm can be very handy. 24mm on APS-C can be exceptional as a versatile FL, then you can go wider as needed. I got a great deal on a new Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 but still keep my old DA 12-24mm because it can be useful as a walk-around versatile general purpose lens I can (edit)- take it along with my miniscule F 35-70mm.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-05-2021 at 11:36 AM.
11-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I am following this thread, I am trying to decide which of these lenses to buy. I need to know if the 11-18 is worth $1000.00 more than what seems to be the going price of the 12-24. ( I honestly doubt that is the case.)
Thank you for your comparison. I look forward to more samples.
I have a lot of competition for my time. I suspect this will be a slow update cycle - perhaps every few days. I was trying to do a month of single in and a month with the comparison 12-24 but that is proving difficult.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As part of your comparison, do you plan on including wide-field astrophotography or cold weather landscape? Provisions for a dew heater and focus clamp may justify the price for many.
I'm afraid I have virtually no experience in this area. I do have access to an astronomy club and interest in doing that kind of photography - I only currently have the basic astrotracer which I have not yet used. That may have to be a follow up item.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Several practical matters for the DA* 11-18mm, one of course being the f/2.8 aperture which can be a very important factor, then others like WR, and fast silent DC AF. However, the zoom range of the 12-24mm can be very handy. 24mm on APS-C can be exceptional as a versatile FL, then you can go wider as needed. I got a great deal on a new Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 but still keep my old DA 12-24mm because it can be useful as a walk-around versatile general purpose lens I can make it with my miniscule F 35-70mm.
Totally understand. What I am finding for my own use so far (admittedly not very scientific - is that 18mm is close enough for my framing to 24 - I realize these are QUITE different but I'm not finding shots that really exploit it so far. I'm certain it matters - but it may not matter that much for the way I shoot with the lens - at least so far.
11-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One thing to consider is if the CA of the DA1224 is an issue for your use case. It can get really heavy, bright wide glowing worms along high contrast edges. I assume the DA1118 is a bit better in this regard.
11-04-2021, 03:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
One thing to consider is if the CA of the DA1224 is an issue for your use case. It can get really heavy, bright wide glowing worms along high contrast edges. I assume the DA1118 is a bit better in this regard.
I use DXO and it does a remarkably good job of cleaning up things - for me I don't find the CA on the 12-24 to be a big deal but I already avoid some of those high contrast situations because it flares badly compared to the DA 15 - the only real high contrast shots I typically use are those that are direct into sun for sunstars:

---------- Post added 11-04-21 at 06:26 PM ----------

Added link to the Flickr folder where these items are stored:

DA* 11-18 f2.8 vs. DA 12-24 f4 | Flickr Link to Flickr comparison folder
11-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another factor- WA zoom lenses are generally the best solution for avoiding linear distortion in shots having linear content, such as indoor, architecture, cityscapes, etc. by using FLs in the middle part of their range. True with both lenses, but the DA 12-24mm has a larger middle.

I've never owned a fast UWA lens, prime or zoom. I can well agree, the DA* 11-18mm f/2.8 is a great choice. However, I passed on this very fine lens in favor of the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, figuring f/3.5 gets close enough to f/2.8 for my uses, and at a very substantial savings and a slightly wider zoom range. I've been very happy with results from it. Now if I should like yet more speed in a high quality extra-WA lens, I'll seriously consider the very well-featured yet compact new Pentax 21mm f/2.4 Ltd mainly for use on my K-1 II.

The DA* 11-18mm lens is indeed a great lens to have and use. Fine performance, build, DC AF, and handling. But you might find yourself in the same position as I am in still not letting go of my DA 12-24mm f/4. If I am about to go out shooting in good lighting where some subjects are likely to be linear, for example, and a general FL will do for many uses- being at 24mm, my needs will run from UWA to short tele, all in just 2 modest sized zoom lenses, the DA 12-24mm and F 35-70mm rate high on my choice list for APS-C.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-05-2021 at 12:12 PM.
11-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
...my needs will run from UWA to short tele, all in just 2 modest sized zoom lenses, the DA 12-24mm and F 35-70mm rate high on my choice list for APS-C.
Fair points and some of what I have thought about. In my case the two lens pair would be the 12-24 and 18-135 today or perhaps the 11-18 and 16-50 if f2.8 is needed...