Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One year after a complaint about purple fringing along the tree line at a local lake, I went back to reshoot, and I could see the dark line that was interpreted as purple fringing with my naked eye. Because of that, I've decided to ignore comments about purple fringing. When I don't see it as a natural part of the environment with my eyes, I'll expect it not to be in my images. I've also seen purple fringing in photos published in magazines. Sometimes, knowing what to look for diminishes your enjoyment of the images. It's unfair to point it out to people who don't know and don't care. People get too focussed on these things.

It's like my boss once said about furniture we made. Never point out a minor flaw in a piece of furniture or the finish, the customers eye will go there every time they see it, and they won't enjoy it as they should. Unfortunately photography is similar. Don't look for CA or fringing, unless you think you have the ability to unsee it afterwards so you can enjoy the image. Otherwise, you're just ruining your own enjoyment.
Good advice.
If the grass surface has naturally occurring silica deposits then the sunlight will be defracted as it passes through it. Same can happen with oil on surfaces too. Just something to keep in mind.

11-04-2021, 01:08 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Thanks for the comments all - it's going to be fun getting used to this little beauty!

JFI - there is no additional sharpening, clarity or de-fringing - there is some adjustment to highlights, shadows and general exposure.

If it helps anyone here is the Flickr mini-album which has these, and a few more, at all sizes:
Pentax D FA 21mm f2.4 Limited | Flickr

p.s. a couple may have been "cropped" to suit the final image
Yes, I'm seeing it now---in torture test areas. Nothing that would put me off this lens. I expect to have problems with all of my lenses in these sorts of areas/situations. Which is why we have CA tools in our PP kits....
11-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #33
Pentaxian

For comparison this is a review of the Zeiss 21mm Loxia at Review: Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21 Distagon T* - phillipreeve.net

A lens considered to have minimal lateral CA for it's fov.

The Loxia21 has a fair bit of longitudinal CA (bokeh fringing with green in the background and redish in the foreground) that shows up in many photographs. I haven't seen *any* in the dfa21 samples. Anyone else? Have you seen loca in dfa21 samples?

Last edited by house; 11-04-2021 at 02:29 PM.
11-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #34
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe when someone does a test with an out of focus green coated chain link fence in the picture all the naysayers will once again point to the flaws

11-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Maybe when someone does a test with an out of focus green coated chain link fence in the picture all the naysayers will once again point to the flaws
You do know the infamous green fence photo did actually show the rather strong loca of the dfa50 right. Not seeing it was a good example of Pentaxian mass psychosis The fence was green but the loca was greener. It was pretty obvious.

---------- Post added 11-04-21 at 04:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Looking every bit as beautiful as my 3 other Silver Limited lenses, my HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited arrived this morning - so when I met my wife for lunch we wandered around the town and park.

f3.5

f3.5

f5.6

f5.6

f2.4
Any initial thoughts after seeing your first images and handling the lens?
11-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am also quite amazed at the fine closeups for an UWA lens!

In the Flicker collection, the one with the couple walking up to the building, the woman has a whole lot of CA in her coat (LOL)!
11-04-2021, 11:58 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great images! I can barely wait for mine - hopefully only a week or two....

11-05-2021, 12:19 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Non sense. For a lens priced 1500 Euro, it's fair that customers look at how the lens performs. It would be ridiculous to buy something blind sighted just because of a brand name.
11-05-2021, 02:09 AM   #39
Pentaxian

How about a gear p0rn shot of the lens on the camera?
11-05-2021, 02:49 AM - 7 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The lens definitely fits in beautifully with the other FA Limited lenses, they've done a great job keeping the styling, look and feel. The only thing that makes it look a little different is the lack of an aperture ring.

It is quite a big lens (compared to the FA20 or A20) but it feels nicely weighted and balanced on the K1, the AF sounds different (being DC) - it's fairly quiet, quite fast and locks very quickly and I've not noticed any "hunting" as yet.

I did think that the colours were a little on the cool side (I've adjusted them through increasing the whites and messing about with highlight/shadow) so I've added a bit of punch - but it was quite a harsh lighting day, with some deep shadows and bright areas.

The close focus ability is the real joy of this lens for me, to capture the detail and interest of a foreground subject with a lovely smooth OOF background is what I'm after. My FA 20mm f2.8 is reasonably good lens for this but doesn't focus close enough a lot of the time (25cm v 18cm - it does make a difference!).

The lens is sharp, no doubt - f5.6 seems great for sharpness and detail, I don't know where diffraction will start to kick in yet but from the subjects I've shot so far I've not needed to go smaller than f5.6 anyway.

As for the Gear P0rn shots, well I've just snapped a few with the GRIII...

I haven't found enough subjects yet to show the beauty of the lens wide open - but the close up of the leaf says enough for me to be confident that I'll be using it at maximum aperture a lot.

Last edited by LennyBloke; 11-05-2021 at 02:50 AM. Reason: typo
11-05-2021, 03:24 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Oooh yes! I'll be ordering my copy in silver finish too(when it is possible economically) looks so good next to other gems! I'v got only FA77 which is black. 2 other is silver.
11-05-2021, 04:05 AM   #42
Lev
Veteran Member

like all other limiteds, it looks weird on K-1
11-05-2021, 04:07 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
That's the pairing silver lens on black body. Out of the four lenses, the best looking one is the 21 ltd. Hopefully Ricoh will redesign the 31, and 77 with DC and WR to match the new 21 ltd.
11-05-2021, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Tell me that when you see mine on my silver K-1....
11-05-2021, 04:15 AM   #45
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's the pairing silver lens on black body. Out of the four lenses, the best looking one is the 21 ltd. Hopefully Ricoh will redesign the 31, and 77 with DC and WR to match the new 21 ltd.
It's true but I think the reason is more K-1 itself, not lenses. I'm trying to see it without a mirror box in my mind, unsuccessful