Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 169 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2021, 06:53 AM - 31 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited - first outing

Looking every bit as beautiful as my 3 other Silver Limited lenses, my HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited arrived this morning - so when I met my wife for lunch we wandered around the town and park.

f3.5

f3.5

f5.6

f5.6

f2.4

11-04-2021, 07:11 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like everything we hoped it would be.

Thanks for posting.

Great light by the way... you really got out there and showed it at it's best.

Last edited by normhead; 11-04-2021 at 07:17 AM.
11-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Congratulations! You might be the first PF member to acutally receive it and use it
Looks like a beautiful lens... even though you managed to get some CA in the grass under the most extreme conditions in that 2nd shot!
11-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Looking every bit as beautiful as my 3 other Silver Limited lenses, my HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited arrived this morning - so when I met my wife for lunch we wandered around the town and park.

f3.5

f3.5

f5.6

f5.6

f2.4
Nice - many thanks for sharing!

11-04-2021, 08:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
Congratulations! You might be the first PF member to acutally receive it and use it
Looks like a beautiful lens... even though you managed to get some CA in the grass under the most extreme conditions in that 2nd shot!
If you can see CA in an image that much reduced in size that's a serious issue. But I have no clue what you're talking about so, maybe I'll just beg to differ. All lenses have some CA...so even if you're right, (which I again dispute that that would be something worth mentioning) the judgement needs to be qualified. Are you saying, the kind of CA all lenses produce, or something that needs to be mentioned as being out of the ordinary? The normal judgement for CA is if it's less than .7 pixel it's acceptable.

The CA chart for the D FA* 501.4, one of the absolute best.

No one to date has argued that the fact that the lens produces some CA is an issue. And in fact, the Pentax engineers tested varying amounts of CA to see which produced the most acceptable out of focus renditions judged by human eyes, not charts. One can assume from what was posted , that they could have had less CA, but that would have diminished the rendering of out of focus areas.

So we don't need to know there's CA, every lens produces some. We need an evaluation. The out of focus areas in the bottom photo look fantastic as does the detail in the image. I'd say they nailed the CA vs out of focus rendition vs MTF perfectly. Those out of focus areas are perfect.

Last edited by normhead; 11-04-2021 at 09:18 AM.
11-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you can see CA in an image that much reduced in size that's a serious issue. But I have no clue what you're talking about [...]
I might be wrong about the technical cause and term, and I'll be happy to admit it if anyone can give me a more appropriate word for the "magenta grass" at the bottom of shot #2 (at f/3.5). Would it be flare? Or the natural color of that particular species?
[...] I'd say they nailed the CA vs out of focus rendition vs MTF perfectly. Those out of focus areas are perfect.
Not disputing any of that! And looking forward to see more pictures from lucky owners
11-04-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I might be wrong about the technical cause and term, and I'll be happy to admit it if anyone can give me a more appropriate word for the "magenta grass" at the bottom of shot #2 (at f/3.5). Would it be flare? Or the natural color of that particular species?
Ah yes, one of those "what the heck is that?" moments.
It could even be purple flowers. Sometimes it's hard to evaluate these things without the fill size image.

11-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah yes, one of those "what the heck is that?" moments.
It could even be purple flowers. Sometimes it's hard to evaluate these things without the fill size image.
Full size image.... Evaluate away ....

11-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

f3.5

f3.5

f5.6

f5.6

f2.4
Wow that some clean looking images! The autumn light makes it look almost unreal in it's clarity.
Any change you can share som full res images?

Edit: oops crossposted
11-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
There is also some fringing in the first image, on tree branches, top left quadrant. I'm quite surprised to see it at that size, although a 20mm lens isn't a 50mm (lot of light bending), but i believe it's the processing of the image that wasn't optimal, not necessarily the lens.
11-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For an ultra-wide, that last picture of the close leaf with somewhat busy background came out very well indeed, without a lot of extra busy handling of highlights.

Looks excellent from here. Thanks for sharing.
11-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

HD Pentax-D FA 21mm F2.4 ED Limited - first outing
Thank for posting your first sample images. Colors, contrast, bokeh and corner to corner sharpness look very good.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-04-2021 at 10:25 AM.
11-04-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a cracking lens John.
11-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments all - it's going to be fun getting used to this little beauty!

JFI - there is no additional sharpening, clarity or de-fringing - there is some adjustment to highlights, shadows and general exposure.

If it helps anyone here is the Flickr mini-album which has these, and a few more, at all sizes:
Pentax D FA 21mm f2.4 Limited | Flickr

p.s. a couple may have been "cropped" to suit the final image
11-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

If it helps anyone here is the Flickr mini-album which has these, and a few more, at all sizes:Pentax D FA 21mm f2.4 Limited | Flickr
Looks very good. Perhaps add some CA correction or defringe for images with harsh back light.