Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 02:17 AM   #16

From the list I'd concentrate on
* Sigma 24mm f/1.8
* Sigma 30mm f/1.4
* Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0

The 30/1.4 will probably be most like the 31Ltd you had, then the 35/2, the 24/1.8 will be wider and larger/heavier than the 31/1.8. Just decide if you want more of a 24 or 30 focal length, if the size/weight of the lens doesn't matter.

Because these others are either MF or covered by your 28-75/2.8 -
* Sigma 28mm f/2.8
* Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro
* Komine 28mm f/2.0 CF in K or M42
* Kiron 28mm f/1.9 in K or M42
* Carl Zeiss Flectogon 35mm f/2.4 (m42)

12-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #17

DA35: Quick Focus

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'll be the odd one and choose the DA35 macro--
1. Because I have it and like it a lot.
2. Even if I didn't have it, it's a good lens--IQ wise.
3. It has the most utility value--1:1 macro built into such a small lens.

Heather
And on top of this: it has Quick Focus!
12-06-2008, 05:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Please don't flame me on how illogical and nut case I am in selling the 31mm limited.
OK, I'm holding my piece.

My experience with comparing lenses is very, very limited, but I've yet to discover anything I don't like about my Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX. Nice close focusing, nice bokeh, very sharp.

Peter Zack likes the lens and that means something, AFAIC.

You don't have a 28mm yet and that focal length is special as it is as close as you can get to an APS-C normal. 31mm would have been close enough, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FA 35/2
Not as nice as the 31 limited, but much, much, better than most of the rest of the competition.
How do you know?
Have you tried them all?

There is no single "better" anyhow. Excelling in one area (say sharpness) usually means another lens does better in another (say bokeh). It's all about priorities.
12-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
as keeper of the Vivitar flame I am duty-bound to point out...

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
  • Komine 28mm f/2.0 CF in K or M42
  • Kiron 28mm f/1.9 in K or M42
As already mentioned, those are not AF. But I hardly think that's a limitation in this focal length. With patience on EBay you can meet your needs for under $100. Just shop around for a Vivitar 28mm f/2.

Vivitar 28mm f/2 (Komine K)

Vivitar 24mm f/2 (Komine KA)

12-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troyz Quote
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5? Not autofocus and half a stop slower than you specify but quite good wide open and relatively cheap.
Yes, somebody buy mine! (Seriously, if anybody wants one PM me, I have one in super shape with caps and cases and hood. Super Tak though, not S-M-C)

Hin,

I replied to your post on pnet, but I'll reiterate: a good Sigma 30/1.4 is probably the best deal for a "normal" lens on the APS-C bodies. Very fast, very sharp even wide open, and solid build. Mine fills the gap between the 21mm Limited and the 40mm Limited, and I really can't complain one bit. The FA 35/2 seems to be a fine performer too, but the extra stop has saved a few shots for me when already pushing the limits (ISO 1600, 1/20th or so) and I wouldn't want to give it up.
12-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I would choose FA35/2 or FA28/2.8.. oh wait, i already have both :P

Although the FA28 is much slower for low light work :S
12-06-2008, 08:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for all the valuable inputs. I am grateful to your assessment and thoughtful suggestions. I make friends with each of your comment. I am more convinced that I can find the the interim solution. And I just remember I have a photo opportunity in a year end party tonight for those ISO 800/1600 shots. I AM such an idiot, the 31mm limited is the ideal candidates. I should have sold it after this event.

I have a horrible time last year with my FA 50 f/1.4. I will bring my FA 50 f/1.4, 77mm f/1.8 limited and Cosina 55mm f/1.2 and tried out my Carl Zeiss Flectogon 35mm f/2.4 which may be too slow. I am sure I could have brought one 31 limited and done with it. But NO, I chose the difficult path without 31

Year End Party 2007

Warmest and thank you once again,
Hin

12-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

How do you know?
Have you tried them all?
Nope...did not try them all, though all of the lenses on Hin's list were seriously considered when I was shopping in this focal length range this last Spring. I am a careful shopper and bought the FA 35 based on value, features, and demonstrated performance. I was also interested in backward compatibility to my film bodies as well as size/weight.

I know that lens choice is a religious issue with some people, particularly if one has spent a ton of money. For me, I was just putting in my Rah, Rah for a lens that I did not spend a lot of money on and that has been a stellar performer in my kit.

Steve
12-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I now have two lenses that are always in my bag. The FA77 and the Vivi 24 f/2. They take up so little space and cover such a wide range of photographic possibilities. Without worrying about low light. I have little doubt the FA77 renders better, but then again the FA43 renders best of all.
12-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'll be the odd one and choose the DA35 macro--
1. Because I have it and like it a lot.
2. Even if I didn't have it, it's a good lens--IQ wise.
3. It has the most utility value--1:1 macro built into such a small lens.

Heather
I am with Heather on this one .... the IQ is pretty bloody amazing on this lens.
And is a 1:1 Macro to boot as well.
12-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am the sickest and the luckiest in 2008 in LBA. My replacement for my Lady Queen turn into three pretty ladies with different beauty and I still have some spare change of $160 to get other stuff

I love the Carl Zeiss on its close up and the MF is one of the best that I have used. The lens is not small, but quite compact, an absolute joy to use in close up. It has beautiful color and contrast is quite outstanding. The only gripe that I have is in the hexagon bokeh in ringed light. Overall, it is an awesome lens to consider in the focal length of 35mm. It is very odd that this M42 lens can be used in Av mode and metering is very accurate with shutter changes across the aperture changes in each f-stop

Last edited by hinman; 12-22-2008 at 12:40 PM.
12-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I was gonna say perhaps Voightlander 40/2, but too late.

Well, maybe next week :-p

I have to admit the Zeiss glass is tempted. While I've pondered going FF with the a900, the main attraction for that system is the raves for the Zeiss lenses. It's only money...
12-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

My vote is for the Sigma 28 F1.8

with the exception of size, its the closest out of all of them in terms of focal length and speed, and is AF ( sharing likewise optical formula compromises)

plus i have one, that i paid next to tnothing for, so i would like to know how it holds up to the FA31 and if i should bother getting one.
12-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Appying Vulcan logic here, the lens you just sold, meets your buying criteria for the new lens..............................................................................................

Did I miss something.
12-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Appying Vulcan logic here, the lens you just sold, meets your buying criteria for the new lens..............................................................................................

Did I miss something.
If money is not considered, I will keep the lens. My copy is in silver color and I paid $660 + shipping for it. It performs great but it is too expensive for me personally to justify the cost. I am not a lens collector and I like my lens to be inexpensive and serve me well. I am illogical in every single lens purchase and logic will ruin my LBA fun. I am likely to get back the queen when I am ready.

Thanks,
Hin