Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
I just won a Kiron 28mm F2 on ebay
Did it come from anybody on here?
Congratulation, I hope your copy is a good one. I also got a copy about a week ago. But the front element is filled with oil lubricant and I just returned it and it is now on its way back to seller. It can't be your copy.

I could have attempted to clean the oil with service to Eric but I found all the tiny screws have been tampered losing the screw heads and I gave up. There is strangely no oil found on the blades. The lubricant somehow gets into front and middle elements. Any test pictures taken looks like a cloudy day in a sunny day. So, make sure you examine your copy under a bright light sources when you get your copy. I examine looking through the back and point the front towards a light source to reveal both the front and back in wide open aperture.

I have several Kiron lens and this is my first encounter on Kiron lens with oil on lens' element and Justin in Photo.net has warned about the Kiron lens frequently have oil and I was not listening carefully and ask the seller the very question. He posted the lens as "opt perfect". It is believed to be the period of manufacturing where Kiron uses certain type of lubricants that are bound to leak when time passes.

Not all people have this problem with Kiron 28mm f/2.0, I am the unlucky one.

Last edited by hinman; 01-06-2009 at 05:02 PM.
01-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's encouraging...
01-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So my replacements for FA 31mm f/1.8 has been slowly coming.

1. Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 (m42)

I am selling it to my best LBA companion in another group. It should be around $120 to $200 in range. This lens is a good candidate to consider if you find it in a good price with good condition. Its decent close up with 0.2 meter in minimum focusing distance makes it well suited for flower and street shooter.

2. Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro Limited

I bargain with seller and get a good deal. The lens is promising. It is toss for me to pick this over the FA 35 f/2.0. I like its close up and the rich color out of this lens. The build is in line with metal body in the limited lens series.

3. A cute Super-Lentar 28mm f/2.8 (m42)

Not as fast, but this is a good charmer to go with white camera. Price is in cheap lens category. but I wish I had a good copy of the Kiron 28mm f/2.0 or that from Komine.

Close up is NOT the strength
with +4 62mm close up
filter size is 58mm
I use the same Hoya close up with Cosina 55mm f/1.2

Last edited by hinman; 01-06-2009 at 08:45 PM.
01-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Hinman, my response was to the previous poster, not yourself...
Sorry about your experience with the Kiron, but thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine for oil when it arrives

01-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #50
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just won a Kiron 28mm F2 on ebay
Did it come from anybody on here?
Congrats on the win. I was thinking about bidding on that one, but I believe that's just a K and not an A lens. Is that correct?
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hinman, my response was to the previous poster, not yourself...
Sorry about your experience with the Kiron, but thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine for oil when it arrives
When you are ready to sell your Kiron, please contact me first. I want a good copy! A beautiful lens but I get a lemon that looks dead gorgeous on the outside

And I fell short in taking pictures on the oily element that spoil the whole lens and I painfully return it to seller. You can read more about the oily blades in this thread in mflenses or another thread in photo.net about Kiron lens, users seem to go about cleaning it.

I was about to open up the lens with these $1.0 gadget
that that I find great in working with lens, but all screws
on the sides are tampered before, losing the threads
in the screw heads

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-06-2009 at 10:24 PM.
01-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read over and over about dead Kirons, whether they are branded Vivitar or not. But I have not heard of a similar experience with the Komine-made Vivitars.

01-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Congrats on the win. I was thinking about bidding on that one, but I believe that's just a K and not an A lens. Is that correct?
Thanks. And yes I believe that is correct.
01-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #54
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'll be the odd one and choose the DA35 macro--
1. Because I have it and like it a lot.
2. Even if I didn't have it, it's a good lens--IQ wise.
3. It has the most utility value--1:1 macro built into such a small lens.

Heather
I'll agree with Heather on this one. You are used to the build quality of the FA 31mm ltd. While the FA 35mm f2 is an excellent lens, I just don't think its build quality is there with any of the ltds. You got some good lenses on the way.
01-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
After 2 weeks of ownership with Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 macro limited, I have to say that the DA 35mm limited is not a replacement for the 31mm due to its speed, sharpness and IQ overall.

But you know what, I AM much happier with the 35mm than the 31mm limited due to its value for the cost that I spent. I bargain a great deal with Prodigal in ebay for the cost of 35mm limited close to the price of the FA 35mm f/2.0. And based on on the inputs gathered, I think that the FA 35mm f/2.0 will do a bit better in terms of sharpness. Of course, the speed in FA 35mm f/2.0 is more better suited for low lighting shooting.

But not much whining from me about the 35mm limited, it is a keeper in my bag. The close up and macro really comes in handy while enjoying this limited as a normal prime in street shooting. It is versatile with dual roles in both a great close up and a dependable prime for street shooting in 35mm view.

Having used 24, 28, 35mm, I have to say I personally prefer either wider in 24mm or the normal view in 35mm as I like to be on the extreme than the middle, hence my trio with 21mm limited, 35mm limited and 77mm limited.

Here is a product shot of my nostalgic first film camera with Praktica MTL5 with Super-Lentar 28mm f/2.8 (m42). That Praktica MTL5 is my 1st film camera taking on M42 lens -- very sweet and simple camera from East Germany, built like a tank, and its viewfinder with split screen is easier than some Spotmatic that I have seen

casual closeup
very handy in walk-around purpose
user error in focusing

Last edited by hinman; 01-19-2009 at 12:14 PM.
01-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Hin, old friend, help me

I am thinking of putting my DA35 out on the market, I think it's focusing speed is a little slow for my taste. Maybe getting the FA31? I also haven't been pixel peeping as much lately, so I've been a little more relaxed on image quality even when printing 12x18s at costco with no problem. Is the FA31 extremely sharp? I have the DA70, which is pretty sharp imo, but how much sharper is this Queen?

I do like that the DA35 is a 1:1 and so small and the build quality is awesome, but for my portrait/modeling work my 16-50 has become my go to lens for anything past 5pm(light).

Since you have had both of these lenses and you have great intuition of what I like, tell me should the DA35 stay with me? Keep in mind I still have the ST35 from you.

Last edited by 247nino; 01-27-2009 at 04:59 PM.
01-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #57
Veteran Member

if sharpness is what you're looking for Photozone.de has tested the FA35, FA31 and the DA35
01-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #58

One you missed: Pentax-F 28/2.8. Light, compact, fast autofocus. You don't hear a lot about these but it's a very reasonable performer. Very favourable reviews in the database too.

Last edited by ChrisN; 01-29-2009 at 02:08 AM.
02-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 247nino Quote
Hin, old friend, help me

I am thinking of putting my DA35 out on the market, I think it's focusing speed is a little slow for my taste. Maybe getting the FA31? I also haven't been pixel peeping as much lately, so I've been a little more relaxed on image quality even when printing 12x18s at costco with no problem. Is the FA31 extremely sharp? I have the DA70, which is pretty sharp imo, but how much sharper is this Queen?

I do like that the DA35 is a 1:1 and so small and the build quality is awesome, but for my portrait/modeling work my 16-50 has become my go to lens for anything past 5pm(light).

Since you have had both of these lenses and you have great intuition of what I like, tell me should the DA35 stay with me? Keep in mind I still have the ST35 from you.
I have been out of the States and I don't see your post until today.

Both the 31 and 35 limited should be kept as one's best pentax primes in the Not-For-Sale category. Having both is a luxury that I don't want to be in as it is very difficult decision to trim one over the other. The 31mm limited is a definite choice if you want fast prime in street shooting with superb color rendition and detail. With the 31mm limited, you always get the best detail in the shadow and color stands out as the best prime I have seen. A rich color picture is the norm with this 31mm prime.

Compared to the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro limited, 31mm lacks the close focus capability. If macro is important to you, stick with the DA 35mm as I find it great for street shooting, portraits in tight space, product shots in a pinch without any elaborate setup, and close up need in all situations. Had it had a maximum aperture in f/2.0 like the FA 35mm f/2.0, it would have been a perfect alternative candidate to the 31mm limited.

As for the 31mm, is it worth the price. It boils down to one's shooting style and need. I find $700 a bit overpriced for my casual style of pictures and I always like fast lens with good close up capability. If I could buy it for the price closer to FA 77mm f/1.8 under $600, I would find it more justifiable. I think I paid $660 + shipping. Will I buy it again even with the presense DA 35mm limited f/2.8, yes
I will as it is still the best and fast lens for that focal length and price. The DA 35mm f/2.8 or the alternatives can't rival the quality and speed of the queen.

As I mentioned before, there are alternative candidates to be considered such as the Pentax FA 35mm f/2.0, Sigma 24mm f/1.8, Sigma 28mm f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4. In M42 category, there are few and I like the Czj Flektogon 35mm f/2.4 (m42) with 1:2 close up as a worthy M42 candidate to be considered.
02-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I have been out of the States and I don't see your post until today.

Both the 31 and 35 limited should be kept as one's best pentax primes in the Not-For-Sale category. Having both is a luxury that I don't want to be in as it is very difficult decision to trim one over the other. The 31mm limited is a definite choice if you want fast prime in street shooting with superb color rendition and detail. With the 31mm limited, you always get the best detail in the shadow and color stands out as the best prime I have seen. A rich color picture is the norm with this 31mm prime.

Compared to the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro limited, 31mm lacks the close focus capability. If macro is important to you, stick with the DA 35mm as I find it great for street shooting, portraits in tight space, product shots in a pinch without any elaborate setup, and close up need in all situations. Had it had a maximum aperture in f/2.0 like the FA 35mm f/2.0, it would have been a perfect alternative candidate to the 31mm limited.

As for the 31mm, is it worth the price. It boils down to one's shooting style and need. I find $700 a bit overpriced for my casual style of pictures and I always like fast lens with good close up capability. If I could buy it for the price closer to FA 77mm f/1.8 under $600, I would find it more justifiable. I think I paid $660 + shipping. Will I buy it again even with the presense DA 35mm limited f/2.8, yes
I will as it is still the best and fast lens for that focal length and price. The DA 35mm f/2.8 or the alternatives can't rival the quality and speed of the queen.
I'm on my third try with the 31 and have finally bonded. I have a tough time taking it off the camera. I'll still keep my 35 though for the reasons stated above. They are just two very different lenses. The 35 is incredibly flexible and a swiss-army lens. But the 31 (and 77) are magic. So it really depends on what is most important to you. If you can afford both, that is the way to go. I sold other lenses to make it more reasonable to keep the 31 and 35. And if the 15 isn't stupid expensive I'll likely sell the 16-45 as well as I can see being very happy with 15/31/35/43/77 and the 50-135* for "long" shots.