Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
My vote is for the Sigma 28 F1.8

with the exception of size, its the closest out of all of them in terms of focal length and speed, and is AF ( sharing likewise optical formula compromises)

plus i have one, that i paid next to tnothing for, so i would like to know how it holds up to the FA31 and if i should bother getting one.
I did get a copy of Sigma 28mm f/1.8 but mine is the older copy with 58mm filter size and it does not do close up like the latest version. I like this older version for the smaller size, not that much bigger than my DA 35mm limited. My copy is all plastic, which I don't mind for the inexpensive cost to get. AF is pretty fast as the focus throw is small about 1/4 turn. It is quite good in street shooting from day to night.

Sigma 28mm f/1.8 next to Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 limited

I only took it for a weekend trip in San Francisco China town in Clement street and later visited the ocean beach on highway 1. The maximum aperture is f/1.7 instead of f/1.8 when used on K20D.

1/13 sec, f/2.8 28mm, iso 400, 0 Ev

1/13 sec, f/1.7, 28mm, iso 200, 0 Ev

1/125sec, f/5.6, 28mm, iso 200, +0.3 Ev

1/320 sec, f/5.6, 28mm, iso 200, +0.3 Ev

1/6 sec, f/2.2, 28mm, iso 400, -0.7 Ev

1/30 sec, f/2.0, 28mm, iso 400, 0 Ev

1/6 sec, f/2.2, 28mm, iso 400, -0.7 Ev

Last edited by hinman; 02-02-2010 at 12:39 PM.
03-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #62
Veteran Member

The closest lens to 31 I've seen so far is DA 35/2.8. I mean it has similar bokeh, nice contrast and it is quite sharp...
03-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by celetron Quote
The closest lens to 31 I've seen so far is DA 35/2.8. I mean it has similar bokeh, nice contrast and it is quite sharp...
I agree. That is why the 1st AF lens that I picked as a replacement to my lady queen was the Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 macro limited and later I added Sigma fast lens with f/1.8 aperture for night shooting.

My current two choices:
  1. Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 limited
    - this is a limited gem in my book if you like close up, I used it for many product shot close up on lens
    - a versatile lens for street shooting
    - small and light enough for traveling
    - great color and sharpness
    - the only complaint for me is the lens cap that you won't fit after adding a filter
  2. Sigma 28mm f/1.8
    - pretty decent for night shooting
    - f/1.7 is reported in my test shots
    - an inexpensive companion to make up the speed requirement lacking in the DA 35mm
    - small and light for traveling and street shooting

I wonder if anyone in this forum has this older Sigma 28mm f/1.8 that is in 58mm filter size.
02-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hin, it's not AF, but the K version of the 35/2 is fantastic as well. Build quality is top notch, of course, and the wide-open sharpness and contrast seem much superior to a Super Tak 35/2 I had a while back. That's my version of the 31mm for now!

Are you still liking the Sigma and DA35?

02-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #65

I just received my FA 31. Initially, I was supposed to sell my DA 35 to finance the purchase of the Lady Queen. I tested the FA 31 and it's an excellent copy. Here is how I think it compares to my DA 35.

Bokeh: advantage FA 31.
Used at minimum focus distance, the bokeh is simply extraordinary. The DA 35 also offers a nice bokeh, but it cannot compare to the smootheness of the FA 31. Simply in a league of it's own.

Sharpness: tie
The DA 35 is tack sharp for close up and macro. Not many lens can approach it IMHO. However, at infinity, the FA 31 offers more details.

CA: advantage FA 31
There are many reviews of the FA 31 on the net. Some say FA 31 has very little CA, others say it has a lot. The same goes for the DA 35, some reviewers say its has almost no CA, some say it has some. My DA 35 has some CA at f2.8 and almost nothing can be seen at f4. On the other hand, the FA 31 has some CA at f1.8 and f2.8, but it's all gone by f4. So, advantage FA 31.

Build: advantage FA 1
To my surprise, the difference is not great. DA 35 offers high build quality a a very reasonable price. Nevertheless, the FA is suprior, but far more expensive. I especially like the fact that it has an aperture ring.

Handling: advantae FA 31
This is very subjective, but overall, I like the handling of the FA 31 better. Despite being heavier than the DA 35, the FA 31 is easier to focus manualy and that is important to me.

One of the reason why I decided to buy the FA 31 is because it's FF compatible. If ever Pentax releases a FF camera, the FA 31 will be a stellar wide angle lens in FF format and an excellent normal lens in APS-C format. So I get two lens for the price of one. On the other hand, the DA 35 will always be the equivalent of a normal lens in FF format and usable only in APS-C format.

So, now that I have the FA 31, I am wondering wether I should seel it or keep it for the day I will buy my 4 years old daughter her first DSLR (6 or 7 years I guess). If Pentax remains true to it's tradition, she should be able to use it on her Pentax DSLR. What would you do? Keep the DA 35 or sell it?
02-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sybler,

It is such a shame that I have to revisit this very thread that I opened at a time when I was sicko enough in LBA that I sold my 31mm. In hindsight, I should have kept my Lady Queen though I love my replacement with DA 35mm 1:1 macro limited as I used it more often and find it valuable in my gear. If you don't have overlap with short macro lens, I will suggest to keep your DA 35mm f/2.8 limited.

The bokeh in DA 35mm never matches that with the FA 31mm f/1.8 limited but oddly I find the focal length and the superb sharpness and its 1:1 macro in 35mm limited a gem in my book. The color in 31mm limited is outstanding but I find 31mm an odd focal length for me to like in digitial. For street shooting, I prefer 24mm and even 28mm over 31mm. For portrait, I prefer 50 to 77. As a casual amateur shooter, I can't justify the 31mm limited purchase.

Hope you can manage to keep both.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 02-03-2010 at 11:45 AM.
02-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Still have the Sigma 28mm f/1.8?

I have just seen this resurrected thread and seen you were looking for someone who also has the Sigma. Well that was march of last year. Bu I only have this lens for some weeks now so even if I had seen that thread before I wouldn't have been of great help.

Anyways, now I have one and if anybody wants to know something about it feel free to ask me.

If I get it done there should be a review if it in the database soon.

But let me say that I'm not really sold on this lens.
Yes, it's fast but there is a lot of flare - as with most Sigma lenses and most of a ll it feels and looks to toyish to me.

Although 31mm is slightly too long for a normal lens I would get the 31ltd. immideately if I could justify its cost - just as you couldn't.
02-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
I have just seen this resurrected thread and seen you were looking for someone who also has the Sigma. Well that was march of last year. Bu I only have this lens for some weeks now so even if I had seen that thread before I wouldn't have been of great help.

Anyways, now I have one and if anybody wants to know something about it feel free to ask me.

If I get it done there should be a review if it in the database soon.

But let me say that I'm not really sold on this lens.
Yes, it's fast but there is a lot of flare - as with most Sigma lenses and most of a ll it feels and looks to toyish to me.

Although 31mm is slightly too long for a normal lens I would get the 31ltd. immideately if I could justify its cost - just as you couldn't.
Suddenly there are Sigmas everywhere. I had been considering the new version, 28/1.8 with 77mm filter. I just bought the MF version of the 58mm-filter High-Speed Wide II, apparently this lens you are discussing. Wallyb just sold an older version of this lens in the marketplace.

I have been spending most of my time on a lens-selling kick and have not used the Sigma all that much. I'm hoping to change that soon. It does look like this lens benefits from hood use.

02-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #69
Veteran Member

I don't know if it is the same lens but the lens I have is AF - absolutely identical to the one on the top of this page.

I don't have a perfectly matching hood for this lens - the one I have is too "open" and the one I have ordered didn't arrive yet.

So until then I can't make a definite statement about flaring.

From what I've read before this older version is said to be better optically than the new macro version - but if this is true I would avoid the new one as I'm not to thrilled with mine.

I'll see.

Fortunately I only have 1 lens I might sell - the M28 f/3.5