Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
funny, the even the K 50mm f/1.2 isn't that bad..

but it still suffers from a similar effect.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-19-2009 at 08:19 AM.
06-06-2009, 04:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeanChris Quote
bums/ww343/jeanchris38/IMGP6613.jpg[/IMG]
(100% crop, f1.4 1/4000s, iso200)
On this picture I get what seems to me like A LOT of chromatic aberration/ purple fringing at f1.4 around the white kimono. It remains quite annoying at f1.7, and become tolerable at f2.0
I think the fringing is actually his aura

Joking aside, try other subjects as the one you just posted is indeed one that is fringe-inducing. I haven't seen that much fringe on my FA but I haven't ever shot someone wearing a white kimono like that (hakama?). And I haven't been pixelpeelping that lens either. I'd say the amount of fringing in yours is comparable to mine. My recommendation for that shot is to just increase ISO and use F/2. The pictures will be sharper at 400-f/2 than 200-f/1.4 anyway.

Here's some green fringe from the SMC Takumar 50 (pretty much the same lens). Forgot the aperture but close to wide open.

Also I find that the general public usually doesn't notice fringing at all, or at least they never bring it up, only us photographers (more like pixelpeepers) would complain about something like that.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 06-06-2009 at 04:45 AM.
06-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #18

The fringing isn't really an issue on most of the pictures I've taken (see here if you like), but it does tend to appear here and there (especially around dark objects) even at f2.4
You can notice it here again around the black shirt, but to a much lesser degree than on my previous post.
(f2.4, 1/2000, iso200)

I believe (or rather, I want to believe) that this is a kind of a inherent feature of my lens, not a defect. right ?
06-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I think the fringing is actually his aura

Also I find that the general public usually doesn't notice fringing at all, or at least they never bring it up, only us photographers (more like pixelpeepers) would complain about something like that.
Andi, there is some truth about you "general public" statement. As a newbie to digital, I never saw PF until someone pointed it out to me. Ignorance really is bliss!

But I have always been a bit disappointed with the amount of PF/CA on the FA 50. I don't mind it to much in the average shot really, but the "tender" family shots really do bug me. I have yet to read a definitive answer as to what it is about these FA lenses that makes them a little more prone to CA in contrasty condition. I do know that from my MF lens experience there are inexpensive russian lenses that seem to have no real PF/CA issues and my guess is they did not have the greatest lens designers or lens makers during the cold war.

Anyway I have mentioned my PF/CA issues with the FA in forums before and always get the "Pixel Peeper" comebacks. So I usually just stay out of the threads now...
But the "It also manages to attach itself with greater frequency to pixel peepers, and with far less frequency to photographers."
Golly gee, I expect that kind of stuff in DPR, but here in the land of "peace, love and understanding"... ouch!

Last edited by Igilligan; 06-06-2009 at 09:47 AM.
06-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I think we have to be realistic and appreciate that if we had more perfect lenses that they might just cost somewhat more.

It seems to tie itself to fast primes of any focal length (my FA50/2.8 macro does not do this, My M50/1.4 does), and zooms of any nature seem to be far more immune (my Sigma 70-200/2.8 does not do this, but my FA135/2.8 does).

Stopping down a stop (sometimes 2) is a small price to pay for otherwise great picture-taking tools. Underexposing sometimes helps too.
06-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #21

It's 99% sensor's problems. Not with film.

And not in pentax lenses only, endeed. With my CZJ 3,5/135 the fringing purple are strong and with a good slides (Fuji Provia F or Kodak E G) didn't any.

In the future, more evolutioned sensors will feel free of these purples/green lines.

Don't leave yours MF lenses. The same double gauss super takumar 1,4/50 produces the fringing lines as the FA? I didn't try this yet.
06-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Golly gee, I expect that kind of stuff in DPR, but here in the land of "peace, love and understanding"... ouch!
By that do you mean the news and rumors forum as well?

Hmm, it seems that all the CA performers are the FA lenses (35, 50, 135). Is it just the cost of aperture or lack of aspherical element? My Tammy 28-75 even with aspherical element still have some CA wide open, I actually find the CA in my tammy more noticable than the FA. I do hope that in the future the sensors can deal with this better.

But then again I don't use my FA 50 half as much as the Tammy... probably that's why In film I use FA 50 almost exclusively though... and 4x6 gives me the eyes of "general public" since I can't pixelpeep. Ignorance is bliss!

QuoteQuote:
Don't leave yours MF lenses. The same double gauss super takumar 1,4/50 produces the fringing lines as the FA? I didn't try this yet.
The 50mm lens shootout guy (forgot his name) is the one that claimed that the SMC tak and FA are identical. I myself never bothered to check but they do render similarly. I think the tak renders jusssst a tad nicer wide open, but enough to make me like it more over the FA.

06-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I noticed it with my FA50/1.4 when my daughter wears a white baseball cap and I'm shooting wide open or close. No biggie, stop down and increase ISO to 200-400, seems to be much less.
06-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

This:

Purple fringing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and especially this:

Chromatic aberrations
06-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
mer

My SMC-M 50mm F/1.4 seems much better than the FA version when it comes to fridging ... which is weird considering the era these lenses were produced.
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote

...Hmm, it seems that all the CA performers are the FA lenses (35, 50, 135). Is it just the cost of aperture or lack of aspherical element?...
I can only comment about my FA 35/2 AL. I have not experienced significant CA with this lens, though I don't think it is because of its aspheric element. I am sure that feature helps with spherical aberrations and is at least partially responsible for the 35's excellent sharpness, however. Generally the only lenses that I would expect to be completely free of CA are those that advertise a apochromatic design/construction (E.g. Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar).

I would also like to second the notion expressed in various comments above that PF is not the same as CA. It is an artifact generated by the interaction of lens/sensor. This is easily demonstrated by looking for PF on film images. For those without a film SLR, I will cut to the chase...you won't ever see PF on film. CA, yes...PF, no...

Steve
06-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
I noticed it with my FA50/1.4 when my daughter wears a white baseball cap and I'm shooting wide open or close. No biggie, stop down and increase ISO to 200-400, seems to be much less.
"Longitudinal Chromatic Aberrations"

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II - Test Report / Review

``From a global perspective the LoCAs are well controlled for such a lens. Truly "apochromatic" lenses don't show LoCAs but these lenses are very rare especially below 100mm.''

You should complain, only if the image *in* *focus* contains color fringes.