Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How can we repair a lens that is back focusing excessively?

Hey guys, I have a lens that has excessive back focus. I've used it in the past with +10 but it still won't produce adequately sharp focus.

I've now tested it on numerous bodies with the same issue so I'd like to have a look at sorting it out. Has anyone ever managed to tweak the AF tuning in the lens itself?

Best Regards
Haris

Last edited by HarisF1; 11-13-2021 at 02:49 AM.
11-12-2021, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Has anyone ever managed to tweak the AF tuning in the lens itself?
There is no AF tuning in the lens per se. Fixing the lens involves placing it on a test/repair harness and adjusting alignment and movement of the optics.

Steve
11-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it focuses OK in the live view?
11-12-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, focusing in live view is bang on.

11-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, focusing in live view is bang on.
It looks like for this lens your Pentax camera converted to mirrorless only. It is the industry trend.
11-12-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not sure how I read this thread so far??? If your lens focuses ok in live view, that would point to an AF error in the optical viewfinder of the camera but since you said this is across several cameras, that would appear not to be the case unless all of those cameras are mis-adjusted for optical AF. That points back to the lens again and the fact that it has an issue which makes the lens disagree with where a standard AF camera would expect to see the best focus (using 0 offset) and what stevebrot said. It shouldn't require that much AF offset to begin with.

Probably time to send it off.
11-12-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Not sure how I read this thread so far??? If your lens focuses ok in live view, that would point to an AF error in the optical viewfinder of the camera but since you said this is across several cameras, that would appear not to be the case unless all of those cameras are mis-adjusted for optical AF. That points back to the lens again and the fact that it has an issue which makes the lens disagree with where a standard AF camera would expect to see the best focus (using 0 offset) and what stevebrot said. It shouldn't require that much AF offset to begin with.

Probably time to send it off.
You've read it perfectly

It might need sending off to someone with the correct rig. The alternative is for me to use the K-1 debug menu to add an offset to the AF fine tuning adjustment which will bring this lens back to with the +/-10 that can be set within the camera body. This would mean I need to compensate by adjusting every 'good' lens so it probably isn't worth the effort.

11-12-2021, 06:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You've read it perfectly

It might need sending off to someone with the correct rig. The alternative is for me to use the K-1 debug menu to add an offset to the AF fine tuning adjustment which will bring this lens back to with the +/-10 that can be set within the camera body. This would mean I need to compensate by adjusting every 'good' lens so it probably isn't worth the effort.
Adjusting every "good" lens costs you nothing but time. Sending the FA 85 out for repair is probably at least $250 or more.
11-13-2021, 05:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Send the lens for alignment.
AF fine tuning of the camera should stay close to zero, avoid extremes and don’t ask for some kind of debug mode. I would even send the camera for alignment if t was significantly off in one direction.
11-13-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Send the lens for alignment.
AF fine tuning of the camera should stay close to zero, avoid extremes and don’t ask for some kind of debug mode. I would even send the camera for alignment if t was significantly off in one direction.
Ditto. If you play with the camera calibration, then along comes a lens that needs correction in the opposite direction and the camera is too far off to get there. DeBug mode is asking for trouble unless you really know what you're doing (and debugging something that isn't buggy is not the way to go).
11-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Adjusting every "good" lens costs you nothing but time. Sending the FA 85 out for repair is probably at least $250 or more.
Given the value, reputation, and going price of the FA* 85/2.4 (IF), having it tuned in a service harness at an authorized facility would seem highly appropriate. If ever sold, one would expect the problem would migrate to the next owner and decrease value at sale.

Steve
11-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been playing with the lens and two camera bodies. For some reason I had +10 adjustment on both bodies but after a reset, the lens worked well on my main body. I then tried out other lenses with the other body (new to me) and realised it was a common issue with my faster lenses on that particular body.

The problem has been resolved through the debug menu AF adjustment function for the new body.

So I think some of the information I gave earlier was incomplete due to a series of unusual issues.
11-13-2021, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The problem has been resolved through the debug menu AF adjustment function for the new body.
You might want to try (or have done) dust removal from the PDAF auxiliary mirror and sensor surface on the new body. If it is new from the dealer, a replacement might be in order. Is it safe to assume you are limiting yourself to the center column AF points when using faster lenses? The others are inadequate for the task.

Steve
11-14-2021, 06:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These are great suggestions Steve, thank you.

The body was a second hand purchase so I gave it a good clean with a dust blower. And also I only tend to use centre AF since I never shoot moving subjects (other than the kids but we all know AF is a shot in the dark for them).
11-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I have had this problem (PDAF identically incorrect with multiple bodies) with two (Pentax-brand) lenses. It would be nice if Pentax bodies provided more than the +/-10 per-lens adjustment range; both my lenses were just beyond +/-10.