Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ultra closeup by reversing a wide angle lens

I have been goofing with taking closeups (the weather is lousy and I don't want to go outside anyway).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42827-what-do-...se-enough.html

I tried using a 105mm 1:1 Macro lens and a 2X converter, but the resulting macro setup was huge and heavy:

I took a Sigma Super-Wide II 24 F2.8 and used a 52mm reversing adaptor. The resulting setup was very compact:

There are some downsides - you must operate the aperture manually to open the lens up for focusing and close it back down for the exposure. The only way to change the focus is to change the distance from the camera to the subject - the focusing ring on the lens is useless. Here is the resulting picture:

As you can see, this is an extreme closeup. I don't know what it translates to, but it is way closer than a 2X magnification. A wider angle lens would give you even more magnification. There is a flare in the center of the picture that I think was caused by using the on camera flash, but otherwise the photo is very sharp across the frame. I may try fooling with it more tomorrow to see if I can reduce the flare.

12-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. I have reversed my 50mm, but never thought to do it with my 28mm. It looks like you have a good setup.

Steve
12-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tried the Tamron 28mm and the results are impressive. The main problem (as always) is lighting. I had to stop down to about f/22 to get a reasonable flash exposure with the built-in flash. I think I got at least 2:1 magnification. Alexander Hamilton's left eye never looked so good...

Steve

(Too late tonight to post any pics...)
12-06-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

as steve said, 28mm lens works impressively when reversed. i even tried DA 18-55 kit lens @18mm, magnification is even greater, but the results weren't that good - i had to hand-hold it (don't have reversing adaptor), keep the aperture fully open, AND try to focus it manually, pretty hard when you have only two arms.
also, in kit-lens scenario, you're stuck with aperture wide-open (extremely thin DOF), or fully-closed (extremely dark viewfinder)..

12-06-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Huh... I guess now I know what to do with that old OM-mount Tokina 28
12-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just tried the Tamron 28mm and the results are impressive. The main problem (as always) is lighting. I had to stop down to about f/22 to get a reasonable flash exposure with the built-in flash. I think I got at least 2:1 magnification. Alexander Hamilton's left eye never looked so good...

Steve

(Too late tonight to post any pics...)
I just started putting additional layers of kleenex over the flash unit until the exposure came out right at about F8. I think I ended up with about 4 layers. It also helps to diffuse the flash. I used scotch tape to hold it on.
12-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #7

Need help

Hi close shooters (I just coined the term !),

Great shots........great job and great comments/suggestions.

Guys, I need your help. I am interested in the rev ring set up as well. The weather in NE Ohio sucks this time of the year. So I want to explore indoor opportunities.

I have a 52mm ring I can mount onto my M-200. I tried. But I do not know how far I got to move from the subject (for instance a dime) in order to get in focus. My understanding is - it is not far from the dime. May be I am totally wrong.

Did anyone try a 100 or 200mm with the rev ring?

I have a 28mm and a 50mm. I am going to try my extension tubes right now with these two lenses. But I will very very appreciate the response for 200mm 52mm rev ring answer. Also what about a combo of rev ring and extension tube?

Please enlighten me a little bit.

Subho

12-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you try the 28 reversed on the macro doubler?
12-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No I haven't - but that is a great suggestion! That might make it where I can focus without changing the distance from lens to subject and make it much more convenient. It will also give me twice the magnification! I will give that a try today or tomorrow and report back.

Tom

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Did you try the 28 reversed on the macro doubler?
12-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My understanding is that you will get closer by using a wide angle lens reversed. If you use a 200mm, you will not get as much magnification, and the resulting setup will be huge and heavy. You would be better off getting your 28mm to work. You might try using a 49mm to 52mm step-up filter adaptor and the reversing ring on your 28mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by kibipod Quote
Hi close shooters (I just coined the term !),

Great shots........great job and great comments/suggestions.

Guys, I need your help. I am interested in the rev ring set up as well. The weather in NE Ohio sucks this time of the year. So I want to explore indoor opportunities.

I have a 52mm ring I can mount onto my M-200. I tried. But I do not know how far I got to move from the subject (for instance a dime) in order to get in focus. My understanding is - it is not far from the dime. May be I am totally wrong.

Did anyone try a 100 or 200mm with the rev ring?

I have a 28mm and a 50mm. I am going to try my extension tubes right now with these two lenses. But I will very very appreciate the response for 200mm 52mm rev ring answer. Also what about a combo of rev ring and extension tube?

Please enlighten me a little bit.

Subho
12-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I took these photos with an M 28mm reversed on a 1.4x TC. One is a cigar, the other match heads. I have a lot of work to do on lighting though.
Attached Images

12-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Miller Quote
I took these photos with an M 28mm reversed on a 1.4x TC. One is a cigar, the other match heads. I have a lot of work to do on lighting though.
Nothing wrong with the lighting on the two posted images--great job!
12-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sigma 24 F2.8 and 2X macro focusing teleconverter

Here are some shots taken with the Sigma 24mm and a Vivitar 2X Macro focusing teleconverter. This setup works Great! The teleconverter allows you to focus without a bellows. The focusing is quick and accurate. For reversing lenses, I highly recommend it. I also used an off camera flash. I used the on camera flash to optically trigger an external flash. It takes a lot of light at these magnifications.

The first shot is of a metal ruler to show the scale. The scale is in mm, so I measure about 2.5mm across the frame. I don't know the horizontal measurement of a K20D sensor, but I think I remember 24mm. That gives about 10:1 magnification!!!

This is a shot of the eye on top of the pyramid on the back of a dollar bill. I need to find something different to shoot, but I want something flat with a lot of detail that everyone is familiar with.

12-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a picture of the 24mm reversed lens and macro teleconverter. It isn't so large considering that it will do 10:1. The focusing feature of the teleconverter make it much easier to use. This is actually as big as it gets - the focusing is racked all of the way out. This is also a very inexpensive setup - all you need is a wideangle lens of some sort, the reversing ring is about $10 - $15, and the macro focusing teleconverter is about $40 to $70 (depending on whether it is KA or K). In this case you really do not need the auto feature, so the K version is fine.

Last edited by pentaxman; 12-06-2008 at 07:59 PM.
12-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #15

Oh my god! These are incredible close up shots.

Thanks Pentaxman for the info on 200mm. I do not have a step up/down ring. I am thinking of buying a 49mm rev ring instead.