Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I originally bought my FA 43mm Ltd for use on my 35mm film bodies, for which I enjoyed it immensely. I much preferred its FL to all the many years of using 50mm lenses, almost exclusively. Then when it came to the point where the DSLR imaging was so good I rarely shot film, the old FA 43mm tended to sit while I favored the DA 40mm Ltd. My 50mm lenses actually found more use with APS-C than with FF, now as having a moderate tele effect with a very fast available aperture. Now with my K-1 II, the FA 43mm has been resurrected, and I once again like it for is versatility and its fine imaging. And again here, my 50mm lenses sit more often.

---------- Post added 11-14-21 at 05:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I don't think this is a shot you could have got with the FA 43.

DFA* 50mm @ f/6.3

It's a resolution beast, across the frame.
I really think the FA 43mm could have done an outstanding job with this shot, while letting more into the frame. OpticalLimits ran 2 tests of the FA 43mm. The last with the K-5 showed poor edge performance, totally unlike the first test using the K10D. Their explanation for this difference was that the K-5 used a very different AA filter which affected test results. Therefore, the original test using the K10D reflects the true capabilities of this lens. Not all that hot wide open, but greatly improves when stopped down even a little. Razor sharp at f/2.8 on. So at f/6.3 it can turn out terrific sharpness across the frame. It performs beautifully on my K-5 IIs, which does not have the AA filter. But again, I'm not getting the versatility and general usability with APS-C. Different story on my K-1 II.

When used as a FF lens, it presents a different perspective than would a 50mm lens, which is more evident in scenes where there is more varience of front-to back distances, that is- more in the medium-nearer distance well as far distances, which results in a very natural and realistic 3-D feel. It is very compelling and pleasing when conditions of the scene are such.

OTOH, the new DFA 50mm is an outstanding lens in many respects, as shown in Dan's summary. To produce a 50mm lens or one of any FL so capable even wide open at f/1.4 is astounding! If I had one, I would especially value this capability, along with its AF performance, WR, etc. for low light and action, as moderate tele shooting on my KP!!

There are definitely potential benefits and advantageous properties for each of these two fine lenses, which are very different from each other.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-14-2021 at 05:49 PM.
11-14-2021, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Of those of you that have the new 50mm what are some of the things that it brings to the party that the 43mm doesn't?

The new 50mm comes with high praise for sure but I'm just wondering what kind of differences I can reasonably expect.
You can expect bigger biceps......
The new 50 is sharper and higher contrast at wider apertures, but as with all lenses, f8 is the great equalizer.

What I like about the 50 (and the new 85) is that I can shoot at wider apertures with confidence.
The bokeh of the 50 is different. I prefer it, but that is very much a personal thing.

The extra couple if usable stops wide open allows me to separate subjects from the background more easily.
It's a double-edged sword though, as it is also very easy to shoot too wide open and get insufficient depth of field.

For me, the 50 is a genuine f1.4 lens because it is so sharp wide open, while the 43 is an f4 lens because that is where it is getting really good.
11-15-2021, 06:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
On the other hand trying to justify the new 50mm vs the 43mm is something to explore. I would never rule out having both.

No matter what I would find it really hard to sell my 43mm.

Of those of you that have the new 50mm what are some of the things that it brings to the party that the 43mm doesn't?
The best advice I can give you is to look at the Pentaxforums in-depth reviews of the two lenses. In particular, these links:

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Modern 50mm Shootout: Pentax D FA* 50mm, Samyang 50mm, Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I wrote both reviews, so results can easily be compared side-by-side and you can build your own opinion by looking at thest images.

My take: the 43mm is compact, light, has a few quriks that are part of its character. I like carrying it around.

The 50 is a superweapon, big, heavy, WR, optically excellent, a bit more clinical.