Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2021, 01:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Any recommendations on lens repair?

Hi,
I recently got a Pentax-M 28mm f3.5 over the internet. It is in a marvelous optical condition, completely mint. However, there is dust inside the lens. The front seems fine, but the rear element is pretty heavily dusted.
I have taken apart a lens before and it wasn't Pentax. Do you have any recommendations for me? Do you know about a service manual, a video or a step by step guide? Or is there some kind of assembly workflow same for all Pentax-M lenses?
Thank you for all of your replies,
Jan

11-14-2021, 04:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
Hi,
I recently got a Pentax-M 28mm f3.5 over the internet. It is in a marvelous optical condition, completely mint. However, there is dust inside the lens. The front seems fine, but the rear element is pretty heavily dusted.
I have taken apart a lens before and it wasn't Pentax. Do you have any recommendations for me? Do you know about a service manual, a video or a step by step guide? Or is there some kind of assembly workflow same for all Pentax-M lenses?
Thank you for all of your replies,
Jan
The manual lenses are pretty easy to take apart. I would suggest you just remove the rear element and give it a clean. You should be able to do this without having to remove the mount. Have a look here

You will need a spanning wrench to unscrew the element holder. If you do want to remove other parts get yourself a set of JIS screwdrivers.

Last edited by pschlute; 11-14-2021 at 05:09 AM.
11-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
depending upon what the amount of dust looks like, it may not affect your captures at all...

have a photo of it?
11-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #4

Check the Lens Disassembly thread:
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database - PentaxForums.com

SMC PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm version 1 disassembly.

11-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
depending upon what the amount of dust looks like, it may not affect your captures at all...

have a photo of it?
Yes, here it is.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G975F  Photo