Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2021, 10:37 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly. If you set the K-5 with the lens at 55mm, to ƒ/4.5 when you zoom in and out it will maintain the accurate shutter speed throughout if in AV mode.

You also get 7 times the AF speed at 55mm, twice the AF speed at 300mm (compared to the screw drive version, your K-5 never had it so good.
2 new added elements, one extra group, much better corrected and sharper.
Quiet operation as opposed to screw drive.
Light weight, collapsing design for easy travel and portability.

K-5 and DA 55-300 PLM

Is it the best light weight option for both the K-1 and K-5? Absolutely.

All images taken with the K-5 (original).

You have to be aware of what you're doing... even though it "doesn't work correctly" compared to manual focus it's awesome. Compared to screw drive noise it's awesome. Does it take good pictures? ... it is still best in class, and best for the K-5 despite it's limitations.

If you are going to have no options for changing your f-stop, 55mm 4.5 and 300 mm ƒ/6.3 are great all purpose options.

If you have the lens and a K-5, it won't take you more than a few minutes to figure it out.
If you don't, you'll probably just keep spouting half truths.

And the big bonus, if you upgrade your body, you're all set.

So sad, after taking this lens on a 19 day canoe trip and using it on both the K-1 and K-5, even though it theoretically it isn't optimized for either camera, the results were excellent and we have dozens of good images taken with the two bodies.Yet people keep discouraging people from trying this combo.

So who has it wrong?
These are beautiful bird shots!

11-19-2021, 04:03 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
I have read some reviews of the 18-135 (pc mag, dpreview, etc.) that aren't too high on the 18-135
I felt exactly the same as you after reading these disparaging reviews. I purchased a DA 18-135 mm ED anyway and, to this day, I'm still awed with the results I get on my K3 (using its optimum aperture of f/11 all the time though). Please have a look at my own review in this Pentax Forum thread.

Best Regards
11-19-2021, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Concerning the HD 55-300 mm ED, it's not bad either on a K3, even better on a K5

Used at f/11, the HD 55-300 mm ED gives nice images on APSc. Different from the newer PLM version but nonetheless very performing.

Flowering Maple @ 300 mm on tripod

Moab, Utah and Arches Nat'l Park entrance @ 55 mm

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 11-20-2021 at 06:07 AM.
11-23-2021, 09:37 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help with this. All of your information was very good, aiding me in my choice.

11-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No problem, it's what we do.

---------- Post added 11-23-21 at 12:34 PM ----------

I always think it's better to show people what they can do..

Last edited by normhead; 11-28-2021 at 07:23 PM.
11-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Another thing about the practical side of the DA 18-135mm in addition to its versatile FL, fine imaging in real use, compact WR design, and the fact it can even deliver fine closeups- its AF performance elevates the usual AF performance of the K-5 to a different level. Exceptionally fast, silent, and accurate AF! So much so you'd think you had switched to a more current camera! Better than the AF of most other lenses. Imaging is really very fine. For best results, just stop down, even a little. As far as edge-of-frame performance at its longer tele zoom range, the central area remains very-good to excellent throughout, while for such tele shots the borders become generally far less important anyway. To get some fine examples of what this lens can actually do, visit the SLR lens section for the thread- "DA 18-135mm WR Show us what it can do" starting from the last page and working backwards.

The fully compatible HD DA 55-300mm ED WR lens is also a very fine choice as shown above. Its slower AF is largely due to its longer focus rotation, but this is actually better for fine tuning in manual focus. AF is not all that slow unless the subject its moving from very near to very far quickly. If working within the same general distance, its AF can adjust with reasonable speed and accuracy. Its AF performance unexpectedly improved quite a lot upon using it on my KP! A pleasant surprise. I have no intention of getting rid of mine.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-23-2021 at 05:52 PM.