Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Neither of us particularly like the 16-85, there's nothing wrong with it the we can put a finger on... just personal preference.
I realise this probably isn't a factor by which a lens should be judged, but I've never liked the 16-85 because it seems such a bulky unattractive lump when on the front of a Pentax APS-C camera (and, in my case, there is already one of those behind it).

The more compact 18-135 looks and feels more appropriate to me, and I do prefer and use the extra focal range at the long end. For static subjects, a wider field is relatively easy to obtain by making a composite image.

Philip

11-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
So does everybody else get it wrong? For example Pentax K-5 and HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com The official Ricoh site says the same thing:-
USAGE NOTE:
This lens features a KAF4 lens mount compatible with an electromagnetic diaphragm control system. Cameras compatible with this system are K-1 Mark II, KP, K-70, K-1, K-3 II, K-3, K-S2, K-S1 and K-50. For K-1, K-3 II, K-3, K-S2, K-S1 and K-50, the camera’s firmware must be upgraded to the latest version. If this lens is mounted on a camera without proper firmware upgrade, its diaphragm control mechanism becomes inactive, making it impossible to obtain correct exposure.
If you use the DA55-300PLM with a not compatible camera like the K-5 you only get proper exposure when you set open aperture at the camera for the focal length.

If you choose to close aperture in AV mode, by example by 1 stop, the camera doubles exposure time. Since the lens doesn't recognise the aperture command "close by one stop", your image will be overexposed by one stop and Exif shows the wrong dialed-in aperture for this exposure.

So if you use the lens in AV mode dial in open aperture for the chosen focal length. Then exposure should be ok. AF also works.
11-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
If you use the DA55-300PLM with a not compatible camera like the K-5 you only get proper exposure when you set open aperture at the camera for the focal length.

If you choose to close aperture in AV mode, by example by 1 stop, the camera doubles exposure time. Since the lens doesn't recognise the aperture command "close by one stop", your image will be overexposed by one stop and Exif shows the wrong dialed-in aperture for this exposure.

So if you use the lens in AV mode dial in open aperture for the chosen focal length. Then exposure should be ok. AF also works.
Exactly. If you set the K-5 with the lens at 55mm, to ƒ/4.5 when you zoom in and out it will maintain the accurate shutter speed throughout if in AV mode.

You also get 7 times the AF speed at 55mm, twice the AF speed at 300mm (compared to the screw drive version, your K-5 never had it so good.
2 new added elements, one extra group, much better corrected and sharper.
Quiet operation as opposed to screw drive.
Light weight, collapsing design for easy travel and portability.

K-5 and DA 55-300 PLM

Is it the best light weight option for both the K-1 and K-5? Absolutely.

All images taken with the K-5 (original).

You have to be aware of what you're doing... even though it "doesn't work correctly" compared to manual focus it's awesome. Compared to screw drive noise it's awesome. Does it take good pictures? ... it is still best in class, and best for the K-5 despite it's limitations.

If you are going to have no options for changing your f-stop, 55mm 4.5 and 300 mm ƒ/6.3 are great all purpose options.

If you have the lens and a K-5, it won't take you more than a few minutes to figure it out.
If you don't, you'll probably just keep spouting half truths.

And the big bonus, if you upgrade your body, you're all set.

So sad, after taking this lens on a 19 day canoe trip and using it on both the K-1 and K-5, even though it theoretically it isn't optimized for either camera, the results were excellent and we have dozens of good images taken with the two bodies.Yet people keep discouraging people from trying this combo.

So who has it wrong?

Last edited by normhead; 11-18-2021 at 03:26 PM.
11-18-2021, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
I realise this probably isn't a factor by which a lens should be judged, but I've never liked the 16-85 because it seems such a bulky unattractive lump when on the front of a Pentax APS-C camera (and, in my case, there is already one of those behind it).
It's the width of the hood, presumably necessitated by the 16mm end, that makes it look bigger than it is. I'm happy to pay that price for those extra 2mm. The 16-85 is my default lens on APS-C.

11-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly. If you set the K-5 with the ens at 55, to ƒ/4.5 when you zoom in and out it will maintain the accurate shutter speed throughout if in AV mode.

K-5 and DA 55-300 PLM

Is it the best light weight option for both the K-1 and K-5? Absolutely.

All images taken with the K-5 (original).

You have to be aware of what you're doing... even though it "doesn't work correctly" compared to manual focus it's awesome. Compared to screw drive noise it's awesome. Does it take good pictures? ... it is still best in class, and best for the K-5 despite it's limitations.

If you are going to have no options for changing your f-stop, 55mm 4.5 and 300 mm ƒ/6.3 are great all purpose options.

If you have the lens and a K-5, it won't take you more than a few minutes to figure it out.
If you don't, you'll probably just keep spouting half truths.

And the big bonus, if you upgrade your body, you're all set.

So sad, after taking this lens on a 19 day canoe trip and using it on both the K-1 and K-5, even though it theoretically it isn't optimized for either camera, the results were excellent and we have dozens of good images taken with the two bodies.Yet people keep discouraging people from trying this combo.
The K-1 was the first camera that supported this lens and I bought the lens immediately when it hit the market. Never liked the screw driven version - because of it's sound. Later I bought the KP as lightweight hiking camera with full support for the lens - also an awesome combo. But you're absolutely right with your conclusion! Thanks for sharing these very nice images, Normhead!
11-18-2021, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 + DFA 28-105 mm HD : very good combo. DA 18-135 mm ED not bad either on a K3.

K3 + DFA 28-105 mm HD

K3 + DA 18-135 mm ED
11-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
The K-1 was the first camera that supported this lens and I bought the lens immediately when it hit the market. Never liked the screw driven version - because of it's sound. Later I bought the KP as lightweight hiking camera with full support for the lens - also an awesome combo. But you're absolutely right with your conclusion! Thanks for sharing these very nice images, Normhead!
No problem, it was actually nice to be using the K-5 again. It was much better than I remembered.

---------- Post added 11-18-21 at 05:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
K3 + DFA 28-105 mm HD

K3 + DA 18-135 mm ED
Blue Heron in the bottom left of the 18-135 image... nice touch.

11-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

As to the DFA 28-105 together with an ultra-wide angle zoom lens for APS-C use, this could work, though a much bulkier and less handy alternative. There's also the matter of lens-changing and if with a guide or group moving along, the time available to change lenses, which might be often, and losing an opportunistic shot in the process.
11-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
As to the DFA 28-105 together with an ultra-wide angle zoom lens for APS-C use, this could work, though a much bulkier and less handy alternative. There's also the matter of lens-changing and if with a guide or group moving along, the time available to change lenses, which might be often, and losing an opportunistic shot in the process.
If you're going to have one APS-c lens for travel, it should be the DA 18-135, IMHO.
11-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #40
Pentaxian

As someone mentioned earlier, any of the Sigma 17-70 versions would be my main lens on a K-5 but coupled with a Sigma 10-20 f4-f5.6 as both are relatively compact and sharp and would work well on a K-5. I used the 10-20 a LOT on my K-5, and then on the K-3/K-3 II, and it's still my w/a choice on the K-70 because it is SO useful, especially in towns & cities with narrow streets & tall buildings, and also indoors in museums and the like - and so it's generally my walkaround choice in places like those.

Personally, if I could only take 2 lenses then it would be those. OTOH, I wouldn't bother with any of the older 55-300's as I rarely found much use for them on my K-5, and, even now, I only occasionally use the 55-300 PLM on the K-70 when travelling because cropped shots from my 1st gen 17-70 are excellent.

Another consideration is that when travelling, cameras & lenses can lead a hard life due to accidental knocks & bangs - and I can confirm that both the Sigma lenses are "tough as old boots" when it comes to dealing with those without failing (as I have "proved" on many occasions!)

Finally, I'd think seriously about the needs for the "here and now" - which will be your daughter's immediate priority on her travels - rather than what she might need in the future with a more modern body.
11-18-2021, 04:02 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Blue Heron in the bottom left of the 18-135 image... nice touch.
I always bring it in the trunk of my car, Norm ... lol ! Seriously I was lucky to have that bird to balance my image. The scene lasted no more than 5 minutes. It was my first outing after my gall bladder surgery, a sort of epiphany.

Best Regards
11-18-2021, 05:20 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
I wouldn't bother with any of the older 55-300's as I rarely found much use for them on my K-5, and, even now, I only occasionally use the 55-300 PLM on the K-70 when travelling because cropped shots from my 1st gen 17-70 are excellent.
DA 55-300 PLM... you honestly think your Sigma 17-70 can be blown up to be as good as this?

Someone needs to talk to you about 300mm shooting technique. It's not like a wide angle.
11-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I always bring it in the trunk of my car, Norm ... lol ! Seriously I was lucky to have that bird to balance my image. The scene lasted no more than 5 minutes. It was my first outing after my gall bladder surgery, a sort of epiphany.

Best Regards
Near the edge of the frame too, and yet still looks really good! Nice shot.
11-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
She already has my 18-55 kit lens, so that should cover the wide angle issue, if I choose the 28-105? I have read some reviews of the 18-135 (pc mag, dpreview, etc.) that aren't too high on the 18-135, so am wondering if, with the 18-55 and the 28-105 that would be a good way to go. She also has my old Tamron 70-200, f2.8. Thank you to everyone who has answered so far...appreciate the help!
11-18-2021, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's one of my most recent efforts with the 28-105 on the K-70. at 28mm.
It's easy to get spoilt and expect wider, but 28mm on APS-C is equivalent to 42mm on 35mm, which is fairly close to a 'standard' lens. I'm not overly fond of the kit 18-55 but like you say, it's a cheap way to cover the wide end.
Other people have mentioned the Sigma 17-70, and that was my go-to lens till I got the 28-105, but weather sealing and quick shift are two features I find hard to live without. I used to regularly get sensor dust spots prior to using WR lenses, but I rarely get them since I've been using WR lenses. If there were a WR version of the Sigma 17-70 I'd probably get it, as it is a nice lens.