Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
I don't know if you ever held an aperture blade in your hands but they are fragile. they look like plastic at first but they are super slim metal sheet, it is impossible to alter them without braking them imo.
You beat me to the punch. That things are really thin. I can't see a way to DIY hand modify it.

11-26-2021, 07:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All it will take is one simple touch to bring home the folly of the attempt. They are flexible.
Very flexible, and fragile. any alteration to aperture geometry will require further adjustment as you are removing material and the aperture will no longer close down as far as it is designed to.

Theoretically possible, but it would be foolhardy to attempt it with improvised tools.
11-26-2021, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I had to try it, I would do it this way: Clamp them all one on top of another sandwiched (perfectly aligned) and interlayered with waste material (shim stock, probably precut just slightly larger than the blades), then grind them all at once from 'the side.'
I'm still guessing you would have to deburr and reflatten them individually afterwards.
Getting the clamping just right and as close as possible to the spot you will be cutting would be critical. Probably would need to make some kind of jig to assist clamping.

Seems like a lot of work for little gain...
11-27-2021, 12:08 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The diaphragm can be adjusted on most lenses but a bigger problem is that you are creating a shiny edge to the blades that is sure to cause problems.

11-27-2021, 01:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian

It's begs the question of whether rounded blades are better than straight blades. They may have different impacts. There must be swings and roundabouts. I remember the DA 15 upgrade starburst backlash.
11-27-2021, 02:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
It's begs the question of whether rounded blades are better than straight blades. They may have different impacts. There must be swings and roundabouts. I remember the DA 15 upgrade starburst backlash.
That's what I came here to write. The difference in bokeh was absolutely minimal with the DAlimiteds right? Did they change the blades with the HD FA35 makeover? I own the lens but don't know. I certainly still has a bit of hexagonal bokeh but I don't know how it compares to the smc FA35
11-27-2021, 05:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So overall I think the voting is on the "Stupid idea" side

11-27-2021, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
So overall I think the voting is on the "Stupid idea" side
Yes, Minister, one might say the exercise is fraught with challenges and risks.

- Craig
11-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #24

What about swapping out the blades from a damaged donor lens that has rounded edges.
I realise the chances of them fitting are slim, but if you found the right match it may work.
11-27-2021, 01:53 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
What about swapping out the blades from a damaged donor lens that has rounded edges.
I realise the chances of them fitting are slim, but if you found the right match it may work.
That's what I would think would have the greatest chance of success...

Obviously, there are some that would be pretty close, like the SMC vs HD limiteds with different blades...

Others would be extremely challenging... unless you wanted a preset lens or didn't mind disabling the aperture mechanism...

At some point, you might as well cut a slit in the lens body and use Waterhouse stops...

-Eric
12-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #26

I love the idea of a CNC laser cutter. But removing material might not work out.
So perhaps measure the thickness of the metal, and get some equal thickness titanium shim stock from McMaster, and cut it out of that!
Using a modern CAD program you don't even have to learn calculus, you can just have the software calculate the area.
12-05-2021, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

No you can‘t.