Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #1

DA35 Macro on film body?

I use the DA35 on my K20D and love it. On the ME Super, looking through the viewfinder, the vignetting is extremely mild--there's no blackout at all visible (though I am aware there's another 5% of the field of view I'm not seeing). But of course I would only be able to shoot wide open with the ME Super.

I've got a ZX-5n on the way. There's no manual electronic aperture selection through the body on this camera, but there is a shutter priority mode. My questions are:

1) Will the ZX-5n be able to correctly stop down the DA35 in shutter priority mode?

2) Will the ZX-5n be able to autofocus the DA35?

3) Is the vignetting level on film acceptable?

Thanks!

12-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used my Sigma 14 on an old Sears 35mm body without any vignetting, but it has an aperture ring. Can't tell you if the focus or aperture will work, sorry.
12-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mabelsound Quote
1) Will the ZX-5n be able to correctly stop down the DA35 in shutter priority mode?

Thanks!
I can tell you the answers for two first questions:

1: yes
2: yes
3: Don't know about DA35, since I haven't used it, but my DA10-17 and DA18-55 work fine on my MZ-5n(same as ZX-5n) if you don't count the vignetting at lower focal lengths.
12-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solisti Quote
I can tell you the answers for two first questions:

1: yes
2: yes
3: Don't know about DA35, since I haven't used it, but my DA10-17 and DA18-55 work fine on my MZ-5n(same as ZX-5n) if you don't count the vignetting at lower focal lengths.
Excellent, that's exactly what I was hoping. I suspect the vignetting will be fine, especially at f/8 and smaller. Thank you!

12-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #5
Forum Member

Excellent, that's exactly what I was hoping. I suspect the vignetting will be fine, especially at f/8 and smaller. Thank you!
Actually, just remembered that someone at another forum had tested the DA35 on MZ-S, and checked his post. He says it's vignetting badly on film. Doesn't show in the VF wide open that much though...Haven't seen the actual images. Let us know how it turns out.
12-11-2008, 02:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the DA35 on my K20D and love it. On the ME Super, looking through the viewfinder, the vignetting is extremely mild--there's no blackout at all visible (though I am aware there's another 5% of the field of view I'm not seeing). But of course I would only be able to shoot wide open with the ME Super.

I've got a ZX-5n on the way. There's no manual electronic aperture selection through the body on this camera, but there is a shutter priority mode. My questions are:

Thanks!
It should work, it does on my Super A (1, not 2 of course), have not tried my MZ-5. I find it (3) acceptable for macro where the corners are often not important anyway. But try putting an extension tube in between. Will give you more than 1:1 and will get you rid of the bad corners!