Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
Maybe I should save up for the 16-50PLM...
Not a bad idea. I have the DA18-135mm for the best versatility, but also the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM for low light use or when I need more shutter speed for fast action or to reduce DOF by using a wider aperture. The new lens also offers very fast AF.

As to a prime for portraits, since you already have the DA 40mm, consider getting the HD DA 70mm Ltd. A virtually ideal FL for portraits. Need a faster model with more reach and wider aperture, then the HD FA 77mm Ltd. Otherwise, the fantastic plastic DA 50mm f/1.8 is pretty good.

12-02-2021, 04:26 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
The DA 40 XS is an exceptional lens, I have it with me in my bag or pocket.

The FA 77mm is a great high quality prime, I recommend it.

Shooting with primes makes a person really think about composition, zooms make me a lazy photographer.
The 40mm (I have the non-xs model) fits very well in a felt bag in any convenient pocket. I tend to take it even on longish hikes as it carries no size/weight penalty worth considering.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
...consider getting the HD DA 70mm Ltd. A virtually ideal FL for portraits. Need a faster model with more reach and wider aperture, then the HD FA 77mm Ltd. Otherwise, the fantastic plastic DA 50mm f/1.8 is pretty good.
Second your thots re. 70mm and 50mm f1.8. Never have used the 77mm.
12-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #33
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've got the DA 12-24, DA 18-135, DA 16-85 and DA 55-300, plus a number of Limiteds (DA 15, DA 20-40, FA 43, FA 77) and other primes (DA 35 f2.4, FA 50 macro, D FA 100 macro, FA*300, Sigma 400 f5.6). There are two divides here:
1. primes and zooms
2. good consumer lenses, whether zoom or prime (I would include the plastic fantastic 35 and Sigma 400 in that camp) and premium lenses (all the Limiteds, including the zoom, the FA*300, and the D FA 100). (I don't use the 50 macro much, but it's probably in the first camp - ridiculously sharp but not quite as polished as the 100.)

Apart from the FA*300, I use the zooms way more, but a disproportionate number of my favourite images are with the premium lenses, because they have a sprinkling of pixie dust. You can get very good everyday photos with the 18-135 or 55-300 (the rendering on the latter is particularly good). The best of those photos will be among your favourites. But the premium lenses offer the potential for that bit extra. The FA 77 is the standout for me, because it has an unrivalled ability to make something out of nothing. There is a little thrill every time I use it. The same is true, to a greater or lesser extent, of all the other premium lenses.

Kids are only young once. Get a premium lens. You won't regret it. Choose the one that is likely to be the most useful to you. My guess is that, for portraits, that would be the FA 43, DA*55, DA 70 or FA 77 (should all be within budget, at least second hand). (A case has also been made for the 40 Limited.) Try a zoom set at each of those lengths and see how it feels for composition.

Last edited by Des; 12-02-2021 at 10:31 PM.
12-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
With the 70 and 77 i notice there is a SMC version and HD version...I'm assuming the HD is the one to go for?

12-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's interesting that you use shutter priority mostly, I use it exclusively with one of my two KPs because I broke the mode dial and that is where it stays. It is not a problem because that is my preferred way to use it with the DA 300 and DA55-300PLM lenses. But my other KP generally has the DA20-40 Limited on it. Those three lenses are my most used, with the DA 15 Ltd and the Tamron macro 90. My shooting is mostly nature based, birds, wildlife, landscapes, seascapes, plants, and occasionally other things I get the opportunity for. If you really are not sure, wait awhile, look at photos from lenses that are similar to what you would take and maybe try a few lower priced old used lenses. If you want to try a couple of cheap older lenses, I would recommend the F35-70 and F50/.7. I own both of those and they are both good lenses and can be had cheaply.
12-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it depends on what you're shooting. For long focal lengths I prefer a zoom and for shorter focal lenghts I prefer a prime
12-02-2021, 07:20 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been checking out the limited primes and the photos that come from them for awhile now...If I ever come across an older lens in a prime close to what I'd consider then I'll probably pull the trigger. With that said, I think I decided to go with a prime for my next lens. I'm liking what I am seeing so far and I want to give that route a try. It'll be a purpose lens specific for what I want to shot and not a walkabout lens. Those will be my zooms. Thanks for helping me decide but the hard part is waiting for the right deal to come across

12-02-2021, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

You should give us a price you'd pay. The new DA*16-50 should be spectacular, and way out of my price range.
My opinion is cover your focal lengths with zooms, fill in with primes when you find one you like.

As for the "learning primes make you better" thing, there is nothing you can do with a prime you can't do with zoom. That's just counter intuitive. Not only can you walk around with a zoom, you can move your focal length longer and shorter. Honestly, as long as you have ADD, you'll explore every angle with your zoom. with the DA*60-250 for example, at possibly 10 different focal lengths, having one from each position gives you 10x the chance of having the right lens. There is nothing a prime can do that will make up for that.

In your position, I'd get the DA 50 1.8, just to see if you use it. It doesn't cost much. I'd also get the 100 macro.

I currently don't own a working 50 1.8, but I have the DA*55 1.4. Great lens if you like the DA 50 1.8. you'll like the 55 as an upgrade.
The DA 35 2.4 is also an option although I personally don't like that lens.

It would be counter intuitive to discuss much more than that. you need a few lenses to get started. The 40xs, 35 2.4, 100 macro and 50 1.8 will do that for you. And you're already over budget there. A used FA 50 1.7 or Tamron 90 could also help reduce costs and get you something workable. I lucked out when I was in your position and got a 21 ltd. and Tamron 90 for less than half price used. That would be another viable strategy. Watch the marketplace for good stuff that fits your budget and just go for the best deal you find. But bare minimum I'd get the 50 1.8. You need one lens that shows you the potential of wide open apertures at ƒ2. or less, so that's a great starting point.
12-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #39
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
With the 70 and 77 i notice there is a SMC version and HD version...I'm assuming the HD is the one to go for?
Not necessarily:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
HD vs. SMC Pentax FA Limited Lenses Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
With HD, you get better control of flare and ghosting, but you lose starbursts. Doesn't seem a lot in it really.
12-02-2021, 08:09 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd recommend the HD versions generally, unless you find a very good price on an SMC. The difference is marginal though. The only lens where I'd opt for SMC irrespective is the DA 15 Limited, for the star bursts, and because it is already very resistant to flaring.
12-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup. It came in both SMC and HD flavors; I would go for the SMC myself.
12-02-2021, 09:10 PM - 4 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

For your budget, you could get used copies of both the DA 21 Limited and the DA 70 Limited, to go along with your 40mm lens.

The reasoning here is that you said you wanted image quality that is visibly better than your 18-135mm lens, which is not a bad lens, so Limited primes would be the way to go IMHO.

The DA 21 Limited would be used to capture scenes around the farm.
The DA 40 can be used for portraits or scenes from a bit more afar.
And the DA 70 Limited allows you to really get those candid moments of your kids, and it's small enough to make them think you're not really getting close to them.

I have the DA 21/35/70 Limiteds and they help make an APS-C setup make sense. You'll have the DA 18-135mm available for when a zoom or a WR lens make more sense.
12-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like a fast 50 for portraits on aps-c cameras. All of the Pentax 50's are great for that.
12-03-2021, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You surely covered the whole focal range with all the leneses you own, but as they are mostly zooms, they are on the slow side and what you really lack is a fast prime (or zoom). I would say everyone needs a lens with 2.0 or faster to complete ones gear. The issue is to know which focal length suits you best.

As it get's quite expensive when you combine a fast aperture with a longer (or shorter) focal length, I would recommend the DA 50/1.8 as a starting point. It is a lens with a very high IQ and a moderate portrait lens focal length wise. It is not ideal for head only portraits, but anything one or two step back will give you good results.

As for shooting portrait. Anything between 50 mm and 85 mm from the Pentax line up will be a good portrait lens, but you have to find out, which focal lenght suits you best. And that means to practice at first. Lighting and background are far more basic things in portrait photography, then the lens.

And the most basic thing in portrait photography ist to control the aperture (so use AV or TAV), because the aperture controls the background blur and the depth of sharpness. For your lenses the aperture has to be wide open as a starting point.

For taking pictures of your kids I would just use the 18-135. Very versatile lens, and if you need something faster the DA50/1.8 or your 40/2.8 are good choices.

As for your XS 40 mm. It is one of the lenses with the best IQ in the whole pentax line up and it has 9 rounded aperture blades for a good bokeh. Thus it is a lens also suited for portrait photography. A bit on the short side of the focal length and a bit to sharp perhaps.
12-03-2021, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't feel you need to spend money, when investing time in better technique, or a better understanding of your current gear will improve your results.
I have been slowly learning portrait photography, it's more than just the lens used, to be sure, and it's not all about "wide open" apertures nor bokeh, either. Unless, you, your camera and the subject are all holding still, a slightly narrower aperture will give you enough DOF to isolate the subject but blur soften the background.
As the lens you own, the DA 40 XS will work well.
These examples the closest thing I have to shareable portraits and are taken at f5.6
This

And this

IF you feel you must buy another lensthe DA 70mm is a great choice, great results, usually available here in the PF marketplace at a very affordable price, often under $300, and compact, which is something I prize very highly. Now that I own a KP, I will intend purchase one in the near future.

I own the FA 77mm and have used it on APS-C and the K-1. Dollar for dollar, it's the best available choice for portrait lens, which you can often find here on PF for about $600.