Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD FA 21 not on par with the other LTDs

Hello All,
I had waited for a long time the replacement for my old A20/2.8, and as soon as it became available, I ordered my copy.
I was very disappointed, and I returned the lens, ordering a second one.
While this one is acceptable, also compared with the old A 20mm, I still feel that it doesn't match the level of the other 31/43/77.
I would like to read your experience.
Cheers,
-GianLuca

p.s. I shoot the K1-II

12-05-2021, 05:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What parameters define the „level“ for you?
12-05-2021, 06:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I understand that my statement is somewhat vague.

Generally speaking, my experience is that the amount of detail of the 31/43/77 is in another league, you can almost feel the "material" of your subject.

My pics with the 21/2.4 lack that sort of "punch".
12-05-2021, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
Hello All,
I had waited for a long time the replacement for my old A20/2.8, and as soon as it became available, I ordered my copy.
While this one is acceptable, also compared with the old A 20mm, I still feel that it doesn't match the level of the other 31/43/77.
Cheers,
-GianLuca

p.s. I shoot the K1-II
Have you compared your results with those from users in other threads?

PENTAX-D FA 21mm f/2.4ED Limited Image Samples - PentaxForums.com

HD FA 21mm/2.4 limited finally arrived: wide open aperture photos - PentaxForums.com

12-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #5

I disagree. I own A20, FA20 and FA*24 and am very happy with the new 21.
12-05-2021, 06:35 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand that my statement is somewhat vague.

Generally speaking, my experience is that the amount of detail of the 31/43/77 is in another league, you can almost feel the "material" of your subject.

My pics with the 21/2.4 lack that sort of "punch".

perhaps you could share your captures that lack that 'punch' so we could see what you are getting at?
12-05-2021, 07:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Images I have seen have been very nice, but I also am someone who has difficulty seeing "pixie dust" that is purported to be in limited images.

12-05-2021, 07:08 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything I've seen posted online from this lens - which, admittedly, isn't a huge amount yet - looks fantastic to me. If I was a K-1 or K-1II user and had the money to spare, I'd be all over it! I'd be more than happy to use it on my APS-C kit, but can't justify the expense (I am, however, looking forward to winning the PF raffle )...

@Gian - as has already been mentioned, it would be very helpful - both for the purposes of this thread, and for other potential buyers - if you could post a couple of examples of images taken with the lens... and even better if you could accompany them with some 1:1 crops so we can see what you're referring to. Would that be possible?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-05-2021 at 07:18 AM.
12-05-2021, 07:32 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are a couple of people using the lens in the single in challenge and the results look excellent. The colours are particularly punchy. Have a look at the posts by @garywakeling & @SandyHancock sometimes we just don't get on with a lens. I bought Sandy's 20-40mm limited because it just didn't connect with him, good news for me because I on the other hand will be buried with it. Same lens.
12-05-2021, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Considering the intentional spherical aberration at some apertures I'd expect it to look comparatively soft. There's still a dearth of full res photos and no known raw files but the kind of glassy look, that's very beautiful, is unlikely to yield great texture and bite. The resolution stopped down does look pretty good but again it's hard to say because the "data" isn't available yet.

I'm really curious how independent reviewers will rate the lens. Sadly we're unlikely to see it done to any degree of detail. phillipreeve.net - Manual Lenses | Sony Alpha does quite nice reviews, they have one on the FA31ltd. It's a shame they are unlikely to try this one.

---------- Post added 12-05-21 at 07:40 AM ----------

Hello All,
Cheers,
-GianLuca

p.s. I shoot the K1-II
I'd really love to hear a more detailed assessment of someone who found it lacking. Even better someone with experience of other Pentax 20's.

Last edited by house; 12-05-2021 at 08:22 AM.
12-05-2021, 07:44 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
There are a couple of people using the lens in the single in challenge and the results look excellent. The colours are particularly punchy. Have a look at the posts by @garywakeling & @SandyHancock sometimes we just don't get on with a lens. I bought Sandy's 20-40mm limited because it just didn't connect with him, good news for me because I on the other hand will be buried with it. Same lens.
I agree. My plastic fantastic da 35 experience was dull and I sold it. Most buyers love it. My fa 43 experience was a bust. Most love it. There is a bit of personal interaction not just images involved in our subjective views of lenses.
12-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #12

Well Ricoh does say the design philosophy of the LTDs is not about numbers like lines of resolution and such.

Or you just got a bad copy. Perhaps better luck with the replacement.
12-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

From what I have seen posted the images look great to me.
12-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
From what I have seen posted the images look great to me.
But you've not seen many full res images. Most ff photos look good scaled down to web size including old fa and a 20mm lenses. The price ofta the dfa21 means it hade to be a lot better than the a20.

From what I've seen it is much better but I dont own the lens.
12-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello All,
Cheers,
-GianLuca

p.s. I shoot the K1-II
Are you talking about the HD D FA 21mm ?

There is no HD FA 21 mm that I know of

Of course, with limited exceptions, the design of the FA limiteds have not changed since they were developed for Pentax SLR camera bodies