Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Lenses Fit Which Cameras

Pentax's lens mount and lens designations are rather confusing and one of the more common questions asked is if a given lens will fit a given body and what exposure modes will be available.

We have tried to answer this once and for all in the attached table, which is available for download in pdf form (attached) and as on a web page:

http://mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.htm

It was a daunting task to complete the table, which primarily is based on reading of camera manuals, since we don't own but a few of the models.

Please let me know if you find any errors or omissions.

At least I learned something from this effort: I had always thought that A lenses are a safe bet and will work on any bayonet mount Pentax ever produced. Not so- there is one exception as the table shows!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf PentaxLensCompatibility.pdf (10.3 KB, 799 views)
10-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Your chart is an excellent resource. Might I suggest a rewording of "smallest aperature" in the footnotes? To me the "aperature" is the physical opening, and I think of the smallest f-stop as having the largest aperature. I think this was what was meant, wasn't it?
10-16-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, despite the enormous amount of work you've put into this.

What do the mounts look like and how do you compare the Pentax bayonet to other bayonet mounts??? Nobody ever wants to answer this question.

If I was in a pawn shop or a flea market, how can I tell 'em apart if I don't have the camera with me.

THANKS for the great effort you're puting into this.
10-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #4

Pentax mount lenses are fairly simple to identify as they have an aperture stop-down lever that projects rather far into the body, the cutout for the lens mount pin right next to the stop-down lever, and the aperture cam on the opposite side of the lens. It is also one of the few lines where larger apertures are to the right (the other common examples of this are Fujica Bayonet and Nikon F mount).

Which lenses fit which cameras is very easy.

SMCP-A, SMCP-F, SMCP-FA and SMCP-D FA fit all K mount cameras and support all functions on all bodies (except AF on SMC-A and MTF and focal distance on SMC0A and SMC-F lenses).

SMCP and SMCP-M lenses mount on all cameras, support Manual and Aperture Priority metering on all cameras with an aperture follower (All manual bodies, all AF bodies except for the *ist, MZ/ZX-60, MZ/ZX-50 and MZ/ZX-30, no Digital bodies). they work with centre-weighted and spot metering only.

SMCP-FA J lenses work in Program and Shutter priority mode on all bodies with those modes. They work in Aperture Priority and Manual modes on bodies which can set aperture on the body (DSLR's, *ist, all PZ's, some MZ/ZX's)

SMCP-DA lenses only work on DSLR's (the 40 will is really an FA J lens though), if you don't mind some vignetting at some (or all) focal lengths, they are essentially FA J lenses.

Powerzoom is the one gotcha. Full support is restricted to PZ bodies, with partial support on MZ's and the K10D. No *ist body or the K1x0's support PZ.

10-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mawz Quote
Pentax mount lenses are fairly simple to identify as they have an aperture stop-down lever that projects rather far into the body, the cutout for the lens mount pin right next to the stop-down lever, and the aperture cam on the opposite side of the lens. It is also one of the few lines where larger apertures are to the right (the other common examples of this are Fujica Bayonet and Nikon F mount).

Which lenses fit which cameras is very easy.

SMCP-A, SMCP-F, SMCP-FA and SMCP-D FA fit all K mount cameras and support all functions on all bodies (except AF on SMC-A and MTF and focal distance on SMC0A and SMC-F lenses).

SMCP and SMCP-M lenses mount on all cameras, support Manual and Aperture Priority metering on all cameras with an aperture follower (All manual bodies, all AF bodies except for the *ist, MZ/ZX-60, MZ/ZX-50 and MZ/ZX-30, no Digital bodies). they work with centre-weighted and spot metering only.

SMCP-FA J lenses work in Program and Shutter priority mode on all bodies with those modes. They work in Aperture Priority and Manual modes on bodies which can set aperture on the body (DSLR's, *ist, all PZ's, some MZ/ZX's)

SMCP-DA lenses only work on DSLR's (the 40 will is really an FA J lens though), if you don't mind some vignetting at some (or all) focal lengths, they are essentially FA J lenses.

Powerzoom is the one gotcha. Full support is restricted to PZ bodies, with partial support on MZ's and the K10D. No *ist body or the K1x0's support PZ.
According to the table, though, there's one camera that won't release the shutter when an A lens is mounted- but this is due to software only...I wonder why

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: