Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax 1.4x teleconverter with 55-300 WR and 150-450

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Some very good friends and I got "bit" by the eclipse bug when we got to view the Solar Eclipse in totality in 2017. We are now planning to travel (likely to Mexico) to view the Solar Eclipse on April 8, 2024 (what a birthday present from Mother Nature) as well as the fact that some of them will be coming to visit me on Oct 14, 2023, as I live about 2 hours from the path of totality from an Annular Solar Eclipse ("Ring of Fire") on that date. As such Im looking to upgrade a few pieces of gear for those events.

The 2017 eclipse was shot on my K-5 and Quantaray 70-300 (Sigma DL Super rebadge) lens. I purchased a Pentax 55-300 WR (red band - not PLM) when B&H had them on a quick sale for $147 since my spouse regularly takes the 70-300 when hes shooting with me. Over the next 2 ish years Im looking to purchase the following:

Pentax 150-450
K3 III with Grip
Pentax 1.4 teleconverter (possibly)

Since this isnt a cheap list, depending on financial situations et al, I may not be able to obtain it all. My goal is to get the 150-450 first for reach. Im curious though if anyone has experience or sample images of the 1.4x teleconverter on 55-300 WR lens. There are plenty of posts with people using it on the 55-300 PLM but I cant find much with the teleconverter on the 55-300 WR. Im not worried about the AF in this situation as eclipses can confuse AF so I go the route of MF to ensure proper focus.

Does the 1.4x mated with the 55-300 WR degrade the image too much?
How about the 1.4x mated with the 150-450 on a K-5 body?

Any examples or insights from owners of those combinations are greatly appreciated!

12-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
Some very good friends and I got "bit" by the eclipse bug when we got to view the Solar Eclipse in totality in 2017. We are now planning to travel (likely to Mexico) to view the Solar Eclipse on April 8, 2024 (what a birthday present from Mother Nature) as well as the fact that some of them will be coming to visit me on Oct 14, 2023, as I live about 2 hours from the path of totality from an Annular Solar Eclipse ("Ring of Fire") on that date. As such Im looking to upgrade a few pieces of gear for those events.

The 2017 eclipse was shot on my K-5 and Quantaray 70-300 (Sigma DL Super rebadge) lens. I purchased a Pentax 55-300 WR (red band - not PLM) when B&H had them on a quick sale for $147 since my spouse regularly takes the 70-300 when hes shooting with me. Over the next 2 ish years Im looking to purchase the following:

Pentax 150-450
K3 III with Grip
Pentax 1.4 teleconverter (possibly)

Since this isnt a cheap list, depending on financial situations et al, I may not be able to obtain it all. My goal is to get the 150-450 first for reach. Im curious though if anyone has experience or sample images of the 1.4x teleconverter on 55-300 WR lens. There are plenty of posts with people using it on the 55-300 PLM but I cant find much with the teleconverter on the 55-300 WR. Im not worried about the AF in this situation as eclipses can confuse AF so I go the route of MF to ensure proper focus.

Does the 1.4x mated with the 55-300 WR degrade the image too much?
How about the 1.4x mated with the 150-450 on a K-5 body?

Any examples or insights from owners of those combinations are greatly appreciated!
I can't answer your question directly but I shot the last eclipse with a SIgma 55-500mm and a x2 TC with the Sigma set at 300mm and got some pretty satisfying shots. So, yes you can use the combination you mentioned and I think it should produce some good results since both the lens and TC are of good quality.

Something else I'm playing around with lately that you might consider, using a 300 or 400mm 67 lens with an adapter. For the most part, I found myself shooting the last eclipse at a fixed aperture and controlling exposure with shutter speed so using a 67 lens in manual mode is doable. The reason I mention this is because there are Pentax 67 lenses on the used market for really good prices and since you're using the center "sweet spot" of the lens, you get pretty good performance. The downside is you have this humongous lens to deal with and if you use a solar filter for the partial phases, it will have to be larger than the equivalent 35mm camera lens. Anyway, just a thought (and something different) so you might check into prices on eBay. Plenty of time yet and I'm sure your proposed lens set would work pretty good too.
12-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

With the 1.4x and plm I find meh results. I did the last lunar ecilpse. Meh. Felt optimistic, probably delete later.

I hope you can prove me wrong.
12-11-2021, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's only for eclipse chasing, and for the money, you might consider a manual prime lens, or even an ed to apo telescope and tracking mount if you want to get really close. The lens upgrades might serve you the rest of the time as well. I wouldn't go all in for only an eclipse however, they have a nasty tendency to hide behind clouds like the 2017 did for so many including me. I had a big setup and stayed home for only a partial as the weather and promised traffic was terrible. This was handheld with the k50 when it showed through the clouds. I did get timelapse and stuff.

I'm currently hoping to go to Arkansas for the 2024 one. Much will depend on the state of the workplace/career at that point.

12-11-2021, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
If it's only for eclipse chasing, and for the money, you might consider a manual prime lens, or even an ed to apo telescope and tracking mount if you want to get really close. The lens upgrades might serve you the rest of the time as well. I wouldn't go all in for only an eclipse however, they have a nasty tendency to hide behind clouds like the 2017 did for so many including me. I had a big setup and stayed home for only a partial as the weather and promised traffic was terrible. This was handheld with the k50 when it showed through the clouds. I did get timelapse and stuff.

I'm currently hoping to go to Arkansas for the 2024 one. Much will depend on the state of the workplace/career at that point.
In Arkansas, I hope to shoot it from my driveway. The last solar eclipse was partial here and in hot weather. I did shots through a telescope and directly with a camera, both with solar filters. I will probably do the same for the next eclipse. I just hope that the weather cooperates. On topic, I have used the Pentax 1.4 TC with the 55-300 plm with pretty good results. Best that I have gotten using a TC. Hope you make it to Arkansas for the 2024 total eclipse.
12-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
In Arkansas, I hope to shoot it from my driveway. The last solar eclipse was partial here and in hot weather. I did shots through a telescope and directly with a camera, both with solar filters. I will probably do the same for the next eclipse. I just hope that the weather cooperates. On topic, I have used the Pentax 1.4 TC with the 55-300 plm with pretty good results. Best that I have gotten using a TC. Hope you make it to Arkansas for the 2024 total eclipse.
I'm not usually a fan of teleconverters but those are made much better than most and match the lenses well. You might check out focal lengths of other solar photos to see what kind of framing you can expect from the 150-400. The newer camera's higher pixel count will let you crop in if needed, maybe do that and see how your lens works on some solar shots before getting the longer one?

My oldest son lives in Eureka springs so I'll have a place to stay but I think we have to travel about an hour from there to get in the shadow. It's a 16 hour drive from here (in Virginia) and my cars are old so I might rent something if I still can when the time comes, maybe go U-haul(or van) hobo camping and take 3 days to get there. I figure it's the last best chance I'll get to see totality in my lifetime so I better at least make a go of it. Also my kid has been pestering me to come out there anyway. Good luck to you.
12-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did the last one with a K-1 and a Pentax SMC-A 400mm f5.6.
We had totality, which was really impressive -- very different from the "nearly total" eclipse I saw in 1984-ish.
I think you'd have plenty of room with a 150-450 and an APS-C body.

One thing that compensates somewhat for not having a super-close view of the sun is that you don't have to have a tracking mount.
With the K1/400mm option, I could get half a dozen or so frames (one at a time) before having to re-aim the camera.

Don't forget, though, to spend some time just watching it with your (properly protected) eyes.
Part of what makes the total eclipse so cool is what the broader surroundings do.

-Eric

12-11-2021, 07:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not had the DA55-300WR, I did have the DA55-300 (non WR version) and have the DA55-300PLM. My original 55-300 was a good lens, but I could not use it wide open, it had to be at least F8 to be good at 300mm. The PLM is good wide open. I believe the original DA55-300 and the WR version were optically the same. I have no idea if that will make a difference or not, just some considerations. I do have the DA TC and it work well with the PLM in good light. I don't normally shoot al of this, but I'm guessing you will be OK if your lens is sharp at 300. Sounds like you will be spending a lot of money to travel, I would think you would make it a priority to acquire the 150-450 by then, and of course, there are rentals.
12-11-2021, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Appreciate the info so far. This was one of the images from the last eclipse for reference:

The image was cropped a bit, and then upsampled for printing. Im certainly pleased with the end result. Having a longer lens like the 150-450 and/or a higher resolution sensor in the K-3 III should result in less cropping, less upsampling, and more detail.

I wouldn't go all in for only an eclipse however, they have a nasty tendency to hide behind clouds like the 2017 did for so many including me.
I hear that! The last 3 lunar eclipses have completed vexxed me by hiding behind clouds. Im aware that there is a chance that could happen. However, a long lens (greater than 300mm), and a body upgrade are things that Ive wanted to do for a bit, so these purchases arent being planned strictly for the eclipse, rather the eclipse is more of the event pushing me to finally invest in some gear Ive been wanting. Ive also considered some used manual focus primes, however, I suspect that after the eclipse, Id use those a lot less than I would the 150-450.

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Don't forget, though, to spend some time just watching it with your (properly protected) eyes.
Part of what makes the total eclipse so cool is what the broader surroundings do.

-Eric
So very true! During the last eclipse my goal was to capture the "diamond ring" and get a few images during totality. After capturing those, I stepped away from the camera and enjoyed the surreal atmosphere during the remainder of the totality.
12-11-2021, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If your only plan is to use this manually, this is a better option. Cheaper and fully full frame and very very good optically:

Rear converter A 1.4x-S

Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4X-S for K Mount Lens From JAPAN [Excellent++] | eBay

I have nothing to do with this sale and I don’t know if this seller is any good.
12-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If your only plan is to use this manually, this is a better option. Cheaper and fully full frame and very very good optically:

Rear converter A 1.4x-S

Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4X-S for K Mount Lens From JAPAN [Excellent++] | eBay

I have nothing to do with this sale and I don’t know if this seller is any good.
I have no experience with this seller either, but that seems like a very good buy to me
12-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appreciate the info so far. This was one of the images from the last eclipse for reference:

The image was cropped a bit, and then upsampled for printing. Im certainly pleased with the end result. Having a longer lens like the 150-450 and/or a higher resolution sensor in the K-3 III should result in less cropping, less upsampling, and more detail.
Bad pun warning: Diamond ring it is. This is already quite .

I hear that! The last 3 lunar eclipses have completed vexxed me by hiding behind clouds. Im aware that there is a chance that could happen. However, a long lens (greater than 300mm), and a body upgrade are things that Ive wanted to do for a bit, so these purchases arent being planned strictly for the eclipse, rather the eclipse is more of the event pushing me to finally invest in some gear Ive been wanting. Ive also considered some used manual focus primes, however, I suspect that after the eclipse, Id use those a lot less than I would the 150-450.
Yep. seems like a plan then. You'll enjoy that extra reach for wildlife too. After recent TC discussions I dug out a 2x AF TC put a 50-200mm and took the k50 to the blind yesterday, only to find the doubled f ratio caused focus issues...so of course a super rare bobcat showed up.

So very true! During the last eclipse my goal was to capture the "diamond ring" and get a few images during totality. After capturing those, I stepped away from the camera and enjoyed the surreal atmosphere during the remainder of the totality.
Agree also! I automated most of my stuff in 2017 so I could sit under the big umbrella and watch a thunderstorm rumble by just to the north. I only got about 95% because I chose to avoid travel that day but at the darkest point the night bugs all came out and swarmed, then the wind picked up. I have a time lapse of it but there are large cut sections that were just dark frames.

Last edited by blues_hawk; 12-13-2021 at 09:09 AM.
12-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #13

Original Poster
Bad pun warning: Diamond ring it is. This is already quite "brilliant".
Thank you! I love the end result and have it printed on metal at 24x30" and hanging in my house. As an artist, Im always looking to improve, even if Im satisfied with the result Ive previously achieved. Improving on consistency of capturing images is still improvement

Yep. seems like a plan then. You'll enjoy that extra reach for wildlife too. After recent TC discussions I dug out a 2x AF TC put a 50-200mm and took the k50 to the blind yesterday, only to find the doubled f ratio caused focus issues...so of course a super rare bobcat showed up.
The reach for wildlife shooting will be fantastic! The preference for the 150-450 over an used manual focus is the AF capability for wildlife shooing. (Pentax AF is still vastly more reliable than my MF ability). Living in SLC, Utah, my hiking trips in the mountains often involve sightings of moose, bald eagles, and a host of other fun photography targets.

Im also considering picking up a 1.4x TC. Im pretty sure it would work wonderfully with my 100 macro and the results Ive seen with the 150-450 seem acceptable. Im curious about its usage with the 55-300WR, since the optical formula is different from the 55-300PLM.

I ran a test with my Q-S1 and the Pentax Q adapter with my previously mentioned Quantaray 70-300 (at 300mm) and compared the images to those taken with the Pentax 06 15-45. Just zooming in on the images taken with the 15-45, it was clear that the 15-45 captured better rendered images. The same test using the adapted 55-300 WR yielded images that were very similar in quality to the 15-45. Two adapted lenses, similar focal lengths (both shot at 300mm) and f-stops, both consumer grade telephoto zooms at similar price points, but two completely different results. One was unusable to me, where the other was (provided I could manually focus a 300mm focal length on a Q body - Its tough!)
12-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with it. I hope you share your findings on the TC combos too.
12-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ran a test with my Q-S1 and the Pentax Q adapter with my previously mentioned Quantaray 70-300 (at 300mm) and compared the images to those taken with the Pentax 06 15-45. Just zooming in on the images taken with the 15-45, it was clear that the 15-45 captured better rendered images. The same test using the adapted 55-300 WR yielded images that were very similar in quality to the 15-45. Two adapted lenses, similar focal lengths (both shot at 300mm) and f-stops, both consumer grade telephoto zooms at similar price points, but two completely different results. One was unusable to me, where the other was (provided I could manually focus a 300mm focal length on a Q body - Its tough!)
The small sensor on that might make things interesting sure enough. I've only have one Quantaray lens, a 100-300mm, but it unfortunately has a sad amount of collimation problems.

TC's may or may not work well with different combinations of lens groupings.

One thing to keep in mind is that the focal ratio is also multiplied. I tried a 50-200 wr on a 2x Af TC the other day and it wouldn't even focus at max zoom. F5.6-6.3 becomes F11.2-12.6 which is too much for most auto focus systems to handle.

This was of course when a bobcat walked right out of the woods and my regular wildlife setup was half a mile away. :P