Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2023, 05:19 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pblogic Quote
Ok thanks, that would work well. I planned on buying either the HD 50mm 1.4 or HD 85mm 1.4 for close portraits and one or two subjects. I would choose the 85 hands down, but I'm working with a smallish budget. So if I can get away with the 28-105 for groups that will be great. I don't particularly like group shots, nor do I intend to do much of them, I just need to be ready if I have to.
This becomes a personal choice. As are your thoughts about the 24-70.

Have you read my review of the 85mm? I compare it to the 77mm, which could be a more economical, and optically comparable, alternative.

The 50 and 85 are superb lenses, to be sure, and with the benefits of AW, faster silent AF, better aberration control.

04-24-2023, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
This becomes a personal choice. As are your thoughts about the 24-70.

Have you read my review of the 85mm? I compare it to the 77mm, which could be a more economical, and optically comparable, alternative.

The 50 and 85 are superb lenses, to be sure, and with the benefits of AW, faster silent AF, better aberration control.
Yes, I've read your reviews of every modern lens, most of them many times over. I scrutinized over the comparisons of the 85mm and 77mm limited. They're very helpful, I just find it helpful to talk things out because other perspectives are great for the decision making process. Generally if I post on the forum, I've already read everything I can find on google, and watched any videos on YouTube multiple times already. Chatting about it is my go to after I've done all that and still can't make up my mind. I've tried the 77mm, and it wasn't my favorite lens. Being that I'm on a K1, I actually enjoy the balance that a larger lens brings. If I were shooting on a K3 III or my old K20d, I'd like its handling better. What doesn't work great for me with the 77 is the auto focus. Not only is it noisy, I found it hunts too much for my liking. I love the aesthetics and the build quality, but I don't think it's the lens for me at the moment. I feel kind of bad that I struggled to make images I liked with it. I've now tried the HD FA* 50mm and I'm very impressed with it in every regard. The auto-focus is quick and silent, and the photos it creates are very impressive.

I decided the utility of the 24-70 was worth some of the trade offs. While I was very reticent about zooms, reading the experiences of others here has convinced me it will be a good fit for my needs. It just offers so much versatility, and will allow me to practice at focal lengths I don't normally shoot with. I found a copy mint for a good price from MAPCAMERA on ebay and decided to go for it. I also decided to go ahead and order a used copy of the HD FA* 85mm from amazon. That's a little more of a gamble, but the return policy is easy if it's a bad copy. After reading and posting here, I went back and looked through my light room catalogue and realized that my favorite shots were at 75 - 85mm. I wish I had connected with the 77 because the price is so fair, but the 85 will add much improved auto-focus and weather sealing. Being that I'm slowly moving from hobbyist to doing things like Senior portraits and Prom photo shoots, I think the 24-70 and 85 will serve me well. The 77 is a really cool lens, but for professional endeavors I don't want to deal with it hunting and being super noisy and distracting. While the 50mm is a great lens, it ends up being pretty redundant, so I don't think I'll be going with it if the copy of the 85mm I get is good. Next purchase in the future will probably be the 70-200. I considered that rather than the 85mm, but I'd like to have the 1.4 on one lens for super creamy head shots etc.

Thanks! I always appreciate the conversations I have here, and very much appreciate your reviews.
04-25-2023, 07:49 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In reference to using the 28-105 for commercial gigs, do you think it would hold up well for group portraiture, with studio lighting available? I'd rather put the money into the HD 50mm 1.4 for portraiture, and supplement it with the 28-105 rather than the 24-70 when I need to be wider than 50.
The 28-105 would absolutely be a good lens for group portraits with studio lighting. The only reason I own a 24-70 in addition to the 28-105 is for weddings/events where I want to be able to shoot at 2.8. If you're not doing events then it would make sense for you to pass on the 24-70 and get a killer portrait lens. The D-FA 85 is an absolutely incredible lens - the best Pentax lens I've ever used. The D-FA 50 1.4 is a great lens, but for some reason the photos I've taken with it don't stand out like they do with the 85 or the FA 77.
04-25-2023, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
The 28-105 would absolutely be a good lens for group portraits with studio lighting. The only reason I own a 24-70 in addition to the 28-105 is for weddings/events where I want to be able to shoot at 2.8. If you're not doing events then it would make sense for you to pass on the 24-70 and get a killer portrait lens. The D-FA 85 is an absolutely incredible lens - the best Pentax lens I've ever used. The D-FA 50 1.4 is a great lens, but for some reason the photos I've taken with it don't stand out like they do with the 85 or the FA 77.
Thank you! I ended up finding a really good deal on the 24-70, so I decided to go ahead and grab it. It ended up be only about 150$ more than the 28-105, so I figured why not? That's great to hear about the 85mm. I have a used copy on the way, and I can't wait to try it! It's been my dream lens from the time Pentax announced it.

04-26-2023, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Next purchase in the future will probably be the 70-200.
Pricey but a really good lens. I found a used copy but had to have the electrical contacts around the inner mount repaired. Now it works like a champ ... Very sharp @ f/5.6 too.

Below three recent images taken on tripod (it's heavy as Hell!) with the K3 III :

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 04-26-2023 at 04:23 AM.