Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Mine got fired into the ground as if from a sling shot. I'm not sure any lens would have survived that. My new one has been carried for probably 150 Km in Pelican cases and camera bags and is holding up just fine.
I think if you know there is a potential weakness you just take extra care, like you have, but it must be pretty rugged, otherwise we would be hearing lots of horror stories

12-20-2021, 11:33 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I've been really surprised by the image quality I got with the older version of the HD DA 55-300 mm ED in my kind of picture-taking. And you hear terrible stories left and right that if the new PLM version gets a shock or falls, it breaks in two. I think I would die on the spot if a lens broke in two in my hands ...

Regards

My lens accidents were pretty brutal. NOTHING related to coming apart in one's hands: One was a marina fall down a ramp. Cracked my K-70 case wide open as well (it was 75% covered, at least). So, hard hit. Second was a drop at the head of a one story set of steep stone stairs outside. On about the third bounce at a high clip the lens broke.

That said, I am careful to retract it when hiking (same with 16-85).
12-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #63
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
The only thing worse than double cam designs are collapsible designs. I am happy Pentax only used it for the DA 18-50mm kit lens. On other mounts, I stay away from anything that is a power zoom design (similar to compact cameras), the only power zoom design that I have ever used that was robust enough for me was the Ricoh GR.
I bought a used SMC DA L 18-50 some months back... I wanted an inexpensive wide-to-normal "beater" zoom lens with at least some level of weather-resistance, and I was curious to see if it was any good. The collapsible design is pretty awful, the three tube / dual cam setup feels flimsy and unstable, and I will never warm to "focus by wire". That said, I paid hardly anything for it, and it's really rather decent optically; surprisingly good, in fact... even wide open. For that reason alone, it's a keeper. The silent focusing is nice, too, although the noise of screw-drive has never bothered me...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-20-2021 at 12:55 PM.