Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fast 28s?

Here's another feasibility check as I plan out a system.

I've got a K20d coming, (and already have my first must-have lens: a 50 1.4 FA: I'm Short Portrait Gal, lenswise. ) ....probably the next thing I'll do is get a 2.8 zoom, or maybe a little pile of stopgaps, depending how the net effect of the holidays turns out.

After that, I'm considering a 35 f/2 to match, to be normalish. But, as the topic implies, I'm also examining the feasibility of a fast 28, like a 2.0, to fill that role: manual focus would likely be OK, here: (I'm undecided how much I want to spend here as opposed to holding out for some Limited lens or other.) PK/a or later probably substantially-preferred in this role... It'd need to be non-embarrassing wide open, (for the same reason I'd like to go a touch wider than 35) though obviously miracles are not expected on the kind of money I'm thinking of. Doesn't have to be Pentax-branded.

Does anyone have any suggestions along this line? My general inclination is to either cheap out for true or wait to do it right, but real bargains are very welcome right now.

(Oh, I should also add I'm sort of waiting to see what materializes along the lines of a 30 1.4... the speed is useful to me, but so is the film capability of other lenses. I think the Limited FA 31 1.8, (after a few edits, got that right, I was a little cpnfused) would probably fill the bill nicely, if wishes were horses. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-08-2008 at 11:31 AM.
12-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sigma 28mm F1.8 or Sigma 24mm F1.8

pro's

- close focus capabilities
- very affordable
- full frame compatable (should you ever slap them on your film camera, or should pentax ever make a FF camera)
- FASSSSTTTT

con's

- large/bulky, 77mm filter thread, sigma lenses are HUGE
- manual focus is nearly impossible, the focus throw is so short its pointless to try
- hard to find a proper lens hood

the inbetween's

- image quality is subjective, i would rate it at very good, but i dont shoot brick walls and i tend to focus more on center perfromance, generaly sigma lenses fall off in corner sharpness, but these things are not easily noticed.
12-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The sigma 28mm f/1.8 is very decently price, for what most say is a very good lens. Plus, its available new, and is AF.
12-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

if you have the bling, Zeiss 28 f2

12-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
Dan

Pentax A 28mm f/2

The Pentax 28/2 A is an excellent lens. It is very compact for such a fast lens, having a 49mm filter thread. It has a well-deserved reputation for superb rendering. Unfortunately it is very hard to find, and VERY pricey. KEH has one right now in "EX+" shape for $569. (Ouch!) That strikes me as too much. Fortunately, I am in a position to do something about that! I have a mint copy of the lens--complete with the original box and lens case--that I am willing to sell to a forum member for $295. I was intending to list it on eBay or on our own forum sometime after Christmas, but your query seems to present an opportunity to move forward now. If you are interested, check out my feedback in my profile, and send me a PM. I can send photos on request. (If anyone else is interested, the same offer applies.)

Dan

P.S. Should I move this to the Sales forum? I only posted it here since it is a response the original poster's plea that "real bargains are very welcome right now". I think that this is a "real bargain".
12-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you can afford it, the 31 ltd is unbeatable. No contest.
12-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, well, ...sounds like a viable option... same as one could get a 35 f2 for, so that'd be just a matter of choice... Of course, when I said, 'bargain right now,' I was meaning that in the sense of 'At this point in my life regarding the next several months...' (Getting as far as I have in sudden appearance of K20d has pretty much tapped me out for the holiday season.)

Also, as far as the FA series lenses like the 50 1.4, I may want to consider if all of that series inspire similar panic and indignation in MF users like mine did when I put it on an ME Super, and if that's something one can get used to, before buying too many like it. (see 'focus ring jiggle' thread I just posted for details.)

Certainly sounds like quite a fair offer, though, if you're in no hurry... (right now my question is about planning and scoping out the market for coming months.) This makes a decent wideish normal on crop, then?

(And you're right, Kristoff, that 31 would probably be just the thing, but it *is* a whole lot of money to me, on the order of a number of months of serious austerity to get hold of, assuming I don't make anything off photos. A three hundred dollar lens, well, that's one month of a bit of saving and one month of serious austerity. Eight... That's a major lifestyle commitment for a long time.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-08-2008 at 01:24 PM.
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Certainly sounds like quite a fair offer, though, if you're in no hurry... This makes a decent wideish normal on crop, then?
I'm in no hurry. As I said, my original intention was to list it after the holidays. You will probably see it show up in the forum's Marketplace in early January.

And yes, it makes a terrific normal lens on the crop sensor. I will post some examples when I list the lens. All the "pixel peepers" will be impressed by the 100% crops. Everyone else will be impressed by the overall rendering.

Dan

12-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Cool, Dan. I hope by then I'll know what to prioritize: a couple decent primes, (which is how I do 35mm generally, but this will be alongside that, and the digital will be doing a lot of zoom-lens jobs, but I'd have gone mad without a short fast tele to start with, at least: ) or a passable 2.8 zoom to cover events and such with. I've lived without true wide for extended periods, before, though.

The beauty of cropped sensors is that my real favorite lens, (the fast short tele) comes in all flavors and prices (And frankly, that's where I am most inclined to first spend bucks on extra-special quality, if I need that, once bases are covered. With understanding that some jobs are just more expensive to do, of course, but I like the feeling I could end up picking between the Zeiss 50 and the likes of the Nokton and a host of others without it being ridiculous. And there's this old Takumar 55 that I'm just wondering if I could learn to be quick with. That's pretty.

Anyway, I appreciate all that, Dan, I may PM you so I'll remember who you are.

As for the rest of the question, ...any aftermarket sleepers that serve well in this role? I'm thinking of trying to squeak by with an 80's vintage 28 2.8 if it provides any improvement over something like an 18-50 zoom.
12-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a Super-Tak 28/3.5...not so fast, but is fine in daylight I suppose. I find I can get by just fine with my FA35/2 which just so happens to be the Bee's knees.

I am looking forward to receiving my new Tamron 17-50/2.8 in a few days...this should do just fine as a "walk around" lens of choice in the cities.

Jason
12-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I have a Super-Tak 28/3.5...not so fast, but is fine in daylight I suppose. I find I can get by just fine with my FA35/2 which just so happens to be the Bee's knees.

I am looking forward to receiving my new Tamron 17-50/2.8 in a few days...this should do just fine as a "walk around" lens of choice in the cities.

Jason
I'm afraid that you'll find even 17 too narrow for the cities, but then again it depends what cities are we talking about .

Anyway, I'm in tight spot here too. I have Sigma 10-20 (not fast but great for cities) DA40/2.8 and F50/1.7. And I'm after some good prime to fill the void. But:
Pentax only has FA or older (availability is an issue and sometimes price too f.e. FA* 24 or FA31ltd) Sigmas 28 or 24 1.8 are very hard to get in London and Sigma 30 f1.4 is stellar in the centre of the frame but I'd like to have sharp corners too.
I considered FA35 f2 but it's too close to DA40. So I'm left stranded with my old el cheapo Tokina RMC 28 f2.8 and I'm hoping that decent copy of F or FA 28 will come along ( I know they are only f2.8 but I don't hink I'll ever have money for FA31 or DA*30, and f2.8 zooms are just not my cup of tea - but who knows, never say never)...
BR
12-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It sounds like you're on a budget, so I would recommend a Vivitar 28/2.8. Sure, it's a piece of plastic, but for the price, it produces pretty decent pics (I used to have one of these). You can pick up one of these for around $50...
Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 in Pentax P/K Mount by Komine - eBay (item 160303606510 end time Jan-06-09 17:40:39 PST)

HTH,
Heather
12-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm afraid that you'll find even 17 too narrow for the cities, but then again it depends what cities are we talking about .

BR
In the past few years of taking mostly urban shots, I have been doing quite well with 18mm being my widest setting and using an awful lot of 18-35 shooting. It would be nice to have a Sigma 10-20, but I don't think I'd be using so much of the widest end to justify sinking the money into that lens...yet.

Also, I have a nice pan-stitch software for lining up something huge if need be.

Jason
12-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

In the sub $100 range the A28mm f/2.8 is quite good, though not overwhelmingly fast. I have been using one as my "normal" lens, mainly indoors and when shooting under streelights. That A28 f/2 would be tempting to try if I had any money left in my photography budget.
12-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I could see a 28 2.8 as a cheapie normalish, that's a viable option, if one turns up. Not really so interested in a hyooge 28 1.8 type prime: such a thing is just too big for what it does, I think, unless there's specific and lucrative need for it, in my little world. I just wouldn't carry the thing. That won't help. These seem to be *so* big that there's no real point to having the FF capability in the same lens.

There's some 1.4 30s out there and coming that are... reasonable. Chunky and digital-only, but for the money and size, you could have both that and a fast 50 for film with you.

(Or I could just bring the old Canons, anyway. I'm still hoping to score a 35 f2 for those, which is part of why having a 35 F2 on general principle is OK by me. (Sometimes, I expect to be carrying light with Pentax digital, and a little film body like this ME Super for film, but there's nothing wrong with the Canon FD gear if I'm carrying extra pounds, anyway ) For my purposes, having something 40ish *on crop* would be the more better. )

My objective with zooms is really about a) Sometimes I can find a bit of a niche shooting weddings for the kinds of folks who usually can't afford the full treatment: digital could really pull the overhead down on this sort of thing. and b) Convincing myself it's useful to walk around with the notion of grabbing features shots for little local newspapers. That's really got little to nothing to do with any money, just some motivation to get my walking in and sort of feel like I'm contributing to the community. Otherwise, it's a bit of a slog when you're not feeling too artistic. Rheumatoid thing: can you exercise closest to enough without going over. (I'd actually been kind of hoping my little Lumix bridge camera would fill that bill, but, wonderful as the little guy is, he just wasn't made for that. Too slow.

So, it's not like I'm doing landscapes with digital or some other madness like that. (And, no, I don't think you really need to go truly-wide for street photography, it's just handy sometimes.)

The general thing with me, I guess you could say, is that fast lenses with moderate angles of view do the best for me, ....the rest can generally be improvised.