Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2021, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
it also means that manufacturers of camera's and lenses have to share their secrets () about how the camera or lens works to get optimum results with the lenses (and other accessories such as flash)
Some manufacturers like Nikon keep their mount information close. Others like Sony open up their standard. That has not stopped Tokina, Tamron, Sigma from making excellent products for many years.

As for flash, that's unrelated to lenses, and again third-party manufacturers have worked around that for years.

Some manufacturers like Godox have even pushed things far enough to create triggers that are compatible between brands. With the right receiver, you can use, say, a Nikon flash with a Pentax camera, remotely, with full TTL.

12-21-2021, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh the horror, Nikon must be doomed.

(hopefully most people will understand that this is a joke based on the criticism Pentax has been getting...)
12-21-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
-
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I straight up own two Tamron lenses - I still have my 17-50/2.8 zoom, which is a heck of a workhorse (very sharp, quite lightweight, focuses down to 0.3x mag) and a Tamron 90/2.5 macro (optical design inherited from the 70s' Adaptalls, if I remember) which I have reviewed and I absolutely *adore*.
That reminds me... I also have the Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro in Sony A-mount. Phenomenal lens... not the same build quality as my Pentax D FA100/2.8 Macro WR, and with a different resolution performance curve at wider apertures, but every bit as good in most use cases and with rendering that - to my eyes, and for my individual preferences - can be just the tiniest bit better on occasion. Plus, it has a focus limiter. A real gem...
12-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I understand that Nikon has incorporated a 28-75mm lens that appears to have the same internal specs as the Tamron 28-75mm lens, for a Nikon Z series camera line.

I recall when Pentax added 15-30 and a 24-70mm lenses to it's full frame line. Both these lenses had specs for the most part, as the Tamron lenses.

There were those back then that were not happy that Pentax had what appeared to be Tamron lenses, rebadged as Pentax, with a few differing features. I was one, at the time. I hemmed and hawed for awhile, should I get the 24-70 F 2.8 or not, as it was essentially a Tamron lens.

Well I did, and I have been happy with my Pentax badged, but Tamron based 24-70 F 2.8, lens for a number of years.

Nikon following Pentax, in using one or some, Tamron based lenses. Seems interesting to me.

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as the third party lenses are very good quality.

https://photographylife.com/which-tamron-lenses-should-nikon-z-prioritize
I have the Tamron 28-75 G2 and it has an uncanny resemblance to the newly announced Nikon. The Tamron has a button on the body that allows for programming of the lens. For instance with a push of the button you can make the focusing ring become an aperture ring and some other cool stuff. The lens has a USB-c outlet on it that allows the lens to connect to a computer without having to have a puck to do the programming. I do not see that feature on the Nikon. At a recent photo day at my local camera store, Tamron rep. was telling me that they are making OEM lenses for Nikon AND Sony! Go figure. In total, some 10 million lenses. That includes their security camera lenses and some for even phones. I had heard before about Tamron making lenses for Nikon but never heard about Sony.

12-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Some manufacturers like Nikon keep their mount information close. Others like Sony open up their standard. That has not stopped Tokina, Tamron, Sigma from making excellent products for many years.

As for flash, that's unrelated to lenses, and again third-party manufacturers have worked around that for years.

Some manufacturers like Godox have even pushed things far enough to create triggers that are compatible between brands. With the right receiver, you can use, say, a Nikon flash with a Pentax camera, remotely, with full TTL.

I agree, 3rd party flashes are good.

Years ago, I bought a new Vivitar 285 HV, for use on my Pentax(es) S1a, ES ll, K1000 and Mamiya 220 Pro F TLR, Yashicamat TLR, Leica 11 f...screwmount rangefinder...all film cameras. Excellent flash, very happy with it.

I decided not to take a chance using it on my digital cameras, instead buying a Pentax 360 and Canon 430...flashes for my Pentax and Canon digital bodies.
12-22-2021, 02:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I have the Tamron 28-75 G2 and it has an uncanny resemblance to the newly announced Nikon.
But the G2 has more elements than the Nikon. It's the earlier version which matches it.
12-22-2021, 02:48 AM   #22
-
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But the G2 has more elements than the Nikon. It's the earlier version which matches it.
I always find the "G1" and "G2" thing a bit confusing... Arguably, the real first generation versions were the screw drive AF models. The second generation were the first ones with ultra-sonic drive AF ("USD"), and folks refer to those as "G1" - but to my knowledge, it's never been an official part of the model naming. After that came the latest "G2" lenses, as specified in the model name (I believe), but they're actually third generation.

I need more coffee...

12-22-2021, 02:57 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I always find the "G1" and "G2" thing a bit confusing... Arguably, the real first generation versions were the screw drive AF models. The second generation were the first ones with ultra-sonic drive AF ("USD"), and folks refer to those as "G1" - but to my knowledge, it's never been an official part of the model naming. After that came the latest "G2" lenses, as specified in the model name (I believe), but they're actually third generation.
To be precise, the Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD matches Nikon's 15 elements configuration. This lens was announced in 2018 and it's a mirrorless lens.
There's both an earlier SLR Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) - with 16 elements - which I guess is the screw drive one you were mentioning, and a newer (august 2021) Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III VXD G2 with 17 elements, made for Sony FE. So it's the second generation mirrorless lens?

Which I guess is more or less what you were saying.
12-22-2021, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Years ago, I bought a new Vivitar 285 HV
That's an auto-thyristor flash, so it only needs a dumb trigger from the camera (and the assumption that the exposure is set hoe the flash expects it). A reversed way of thinking about flash exposure than what we do nowadays.

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I have the Tamron 28-75 G2 and it has an uncanny resemblance to the newly announced Nikon.
The Nikon is exactly the G1 version, they said it openly.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I believe the G1 (which isn't called as such, like K lenses aren't called K) is seen as the first version because it's the company's first 28-75 for mirrorless. G2 is because they updated that design. Of course they have DSLR versions of those lenses, but I believe the designs are completely different.

It's impressive how those compact Tamron 28-75 lenses are given their aperture and range.
12-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

The 28-75mm for DSLRs is inferior to the 28-75mm RXD for mirrorless (G1) which is inferior to the 28-75mm VXD for mirrorless (G2)

The difference in optics is larger between the much older DSLR variant and the G1 than it is between G1 and G2.

One other thing to consider -- Nikon isn't currently using off the shelf Tamron designs to fill their top end lines. This 28-75mm is not an 'S' series premium lens. For that, Nikon offers the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 S lens at a whopping 2000 dollars. It's premium throughout though in both optics and handling.

This little 28-75mm f/2.8 is slightly smaller, lighter, and likely (judging from G1 reviews on an A7III) won't have the corner sharpness or bokeh smoothness of the more expensive Nikkor S lens (or G2 for that matter).

Plus, of course it only gets to 28mm on the wide end.

It's a lens for those with either size/weight and/or pricing constraints. I hope to see more Tamron designs in Z mount in the future though since Nikon don't seem to be using them as their top flight models. No use recreating the wheel for that.
12-23-2021, 06:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Thank you for the clarification. I meant the external physical lens looks like the Tamron G2. I did not pay attention to the elements. There are a lot of positive reviews on the new Nikon lenses for their mirrorless system. If indeed Tamron is behind all these lenses, then this is a testament to how good Tamron lens technologies has become.
12-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The 28-75mm for DSLRs is inferior to the 28-75mm RXD for mirrorless (G1) which is inferior to the 28-75mm VXD for mirrorless (G2)

The difference in optics is larger between the much older DSLR variant and the G1 than it is between G1 and G2.
Right on both fronts.