Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2021, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I look photos of the 40L I usually think that the focal length is great for what I shoot. That's because I usually crop my wide shots, so I'd probably get a better look with it. I imagine it would make a nice portrait lens for my K-70, although I've never been so lured to buy it.. yet. The photo quality looks great, so why not get one if you can afford it....?

12-22-2021, 06:46 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If I had to choose between the SMC 35mm f2.4 and the SMC 40mm f2.8 Ltd I would go for the first one. But if you can get a HD DA 40mm f2.8 Ltd at a reasonable price, that is the one you should try. Someone here on the forum described the 40mm SMC as "boring" and I agreed with him. That is why I do not like the SMC version. I own both the SMC and HD version and the latter one IMNSHO gives a more interesting picture than the former.
The plot thickens

With a bit of patience I know I can get the SMC 40 Limited in the low 100s (yup) and the HD version in the low 200s.

But the reason I'm even considering this is because the pictures I'm seeing - and I know this is personal taste - the pictures from the 40 are far from boring (even the SMC version). Portraits being a very good example - it seems to have the same great rendering of skin and hair that I get with my SMC DA*16-50 - if not even better.
12-22-2021, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The DA 40 Limited is not a lens that I'll ever, actually have a rational need for...
Everyone has a need for a ~40mm lens Even the other manufacturers (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Sigma, Samyang) have realized this and now make 40-ish lenses.

I have two DA 35s (35 Limited Macro and Plastic Fantastic 35 2.4)
Different animals.

I have a few 50s
Different also I like 50 much less than I do 40. You could certainly sell at least a few of those.

In fact, the 35 Limited is probably a better lens in every aspect but size.
Not sure about that, but I'll bear with you.

Why then do I keep looking at pictures taken with the DA 40 Limited (or even the DA 40 XS) and finding myself attracted to this lens? Thinking, "I still have this K-3 grip that I can sell, and the SMC-M 150 3.5, so sell both and I can probably buy this 40mm"...

Or a few of your 50s But if you don't use those items, might as well sell them.

Does this make any sense at all? Am I going crazy with LBA?.... what's the remedy???
Remedy is to purchase the lens. And if you buy used, you'll be able to resell it for the same price if for whatever reason you don't like it.
12-22-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The plot thickens

With a bit of patience I know I can get the SMC 40 Limited in the low 100s (yup) and the HD version in the low 200s.

But the reason I'm even considering this is because the pictures I'm seeing - and I know this is personal taste - the pictures from the 40 are far from boring (even the SMC version). Portraits being a very good example - it seems to have the same great rendering of skin and hair that I get with my SMC DA*16-50 - if not even better.
There should be very little difference in rendering between the SMC and HD versions... after all, they're essentially the same lens. Out-of-focus highlights will be rounder and bokeh just a tiny bit smoother on the HD version at apertures smaller than f/2.8, due to the rounded diaphragm blades, while flare performance should be very slightly better because of the HD coatings. But without having used the SMC version, I'm pretty certain the differences to my HD version will be negligible for the majority of users and use-cases. Copy variation is far more likely to produce obvious differences than the modest diaphragm and coating updates...

12-22-2021, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Everyone has a need for a ~40mm lens Even the other manufacturers (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Sigma, Samyang) have realized this and now make 40-ish lenses.
I agree, however - in the case of other manufacturers, it's always for full frame. No one (but Pentax) has thought, hey, 40mm would be a great focal length on APS-C. And they might not even have done it if they didn't have an optical design already, that fit with their pancake vision for the DA Limiteds.

Different animals.

Different also I like 50 much less than I do 40. You could certainly sell at least a few of those.
There's where we probably disagree... 50mm to me is a great focal length, it's been my favorite APS-C focal length for years. The slight telephoto compression is super-flattering, the optical designs are superb (and affordable!), they are just so easy to produce good pictures, it almost feels like cheating...
However now that I have the DA 70 Limited, I have been trying to make that my go-to lens for mild tele shots, and suddenly the 40mm starts to make a bit more sense...

Not sure about that, but I'll bear with you.

Remedy is to purchase the lens. And if you buy used, you'll be able to resell it for the same price if for whatever reason you don't like it.
I doubt I'd sell it, even if I end up not using it so much. I tend to keep lenses that I find really good that don't get much use, like my Tokina 24 2.8, SMC-M 28 3.5 and SMC-M 50 1.7.
But we'll see, I'll put some stuff up for sale after the holidays and who knows, I might end up being lured by something like a 1:1 90mm macro instead, if one shows up very cheap, as they do from time to time, when I'm not ready to buy one... that has also been on my buy list for a long time.
12-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Thank you... did you not like it because you have better lenses in that range, or do you not find yourself shooting in that range?
I confess that 35mm is perfect for normal and 50mm is perfect for short tele, so I don't even know if I would gel with the focal length...
I just found I never used it because I didn't like the focal length. Much preferred my 21 (huge difference I know) for walk around shots. I also just picked up the DA*55 and really liking that focal length too - seems more useful for portraits and landscapes, but it could just be me convincing myself it's a better focal length because it's a fair bit pricier than the 40 XS...
12-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one thing that makes my HD DA 40mm Ltd stand out is how it's able to handle extreme contrasts, only it's HD 15mm sister is similarly robust.

I tend to take along the HD FA 35mm (or 31mm Ltd) more often for the extra f-stop as a low-light companion to the 18-135mm. But the 40mm is in the bag whenever I just bring a selection of primes or when it gets really tight, as in my kayaking set.

12-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #38

I find myself looking at this lens alot bit never commiting to buy it. It looks good quality and small and can be got at reasonable prices, but 40mm is close to 35 and i laso have the 43mm so can never convice myself i need it enough.
12-22-2021, 01:31 PM - 4 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My lenscap:

DA 40 with Fujifilm film canister cap by -vanya_42nd-

DA 40 with Fujifilm film canister cap by -vanya_42nd-
12-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well in my experience you can't go too wrong with a LTD. They deliver good results, are relatively small and, last but not least, are a joy to use.
That said it depends on your own requirements and desires - as the 35 LTD is also great.

I don't have the 40 LTD currently but do have the DA 40 XS and its fantastic on my K-01. I also love the FA 43 LTD and, maybe I just got a really good copy (MIJ if that matters - I'm not convinced it makes any difference), but its fantastic on the K-1 - perfect all round FL and significantly better bokeh than my 40xs (to my eyes anyway).
12-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Well in my experience you can't go too wrong with a LTD. They deliver good results, are relatively small and, last but not least, are a joy to use.
That said it depends on your own requirements and desires - as the 35 LTD is also great.

I don't have the 40 LTD currently but do have the DA 40 XS and its fantastic on my K-01. I also love the FA 43 LTD and, maybe I just got a really good copy (MIJ if that matters - I'm not convinced it makes any difference), but its fantastic on the K-1 - perfect all round FL and significantly better bokeh than my 40xs (to my eyes anyway).
I honestly didn’t care for the 43 at least on apsc. The problem was close focus. I like going closer than it could. I also experienced pretty wild ca. it was sharp but not better than the da40 except in optical speed.
12-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I have to admit that other than just the sheer look of the thing — it is so astonishingly slender — the DA 40 Ltd never appealed to me. I have the DA 35 Ltd, which more often than not I find a bit too tight. But at least that does macro, so it has dual purpose. But for those who are comfortable with the focal length, or more comfortable than with 35mm, I can see the appeal.
12-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I honestly didn’t care for the 43 at least on apsc. The problem was close focus. I like going closer than it could. I also experienced pretty wild ca. it was sharp but not better than the da40 except in optical speed.
Interesting. Maybe I just got a really good copy then as I rarely need to touch up any CAs on mine (the 77 is different matter of course), sharpness on my is better with my FA43 than my 40XS at the same aperture (e.g. f2.8) and about the same both wide open. Can't say I have noticed the difference in min focal distance (they only differ in magnification of 0.12x versus 0.13x) and terms of bokeh the extra speed makes up for that.
12-22-2021, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Bingo. That's it in a nutshell with all the DA Limiteds.

One of many things I really like is the (presumably) carefully-chosen focal lengths... 15, 21, 35, 40, 70... They're all great for APS-C once you get used to them, depending on your use-cases and preferences... and - with the exception of the 35 (which gets a hall-pass, since it's a true macro lens) - different to almost anything else available. Add in the D FA 100/2.8 Macro (because it's almost a Limited in terms of build quality and ergonomics ) and you have a rather unique phalanx of lenses to cover a very wide range of photography. I just wish there was something in the 50-60mm range in there... but perhaps that'd be too conventional

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-22-2021 at 02:38 PM.
12-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. Maybe I just got a really good copy then as I rarely need to touch up any CAs on mine (the 77 is different matter of course), sharpness on my is better with my FA43 than my 40XS at the same aperture (e.g. f2.8) and about the same both wide open. Can't say I have noticed the difference in min focal distance (they only differ in magnification of 0.12x versus 0.13x) and terms of bokeh the extra speed makes up for that.
Ca was only part of the issue. Flare resistance was not great either. The lens seemed good - but I didn’t bond with it.