Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2021, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lure of the DA 40 Limited

The DA 40 Limited is not a lens that I'll ever, actually have a rational need for... I have two DA 35s (35 Limited Macro and Plastic Fantastic 35 2.4). I have a few 50s. They are all faster (or as fast in the case of the 35 Limited) than the 40 Limited and do not lack in quality at all. In fact, the 35 Limited is probably a better lens in every aspect but size.

Why then do I keep looking at pictures taken with the DA 40 Limited (or even the DA 40 XS) and finding myself attracted to this lens? Thinking, "I still have this K-3 grip that I can sell, and the SMC-M 150 3.5, so sell both and I can probably buy this 40mm"...

Does this make any sense at all? Am I going crazy with LBA?.... what's the remedy???

12-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a great lens, in both LTD and XS forms.
You Can usually find used copies here on PF at very reasonable prices.

The DA 40 XS is probably my most used lens, I purchased one brand new not long after I purchased my K-5 in 2013.

Last edited by robgski; 12-21-2021 at 05:42 PM.
12-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
do not lack in quality at all
a better lens in every aspect but size
Specifically, I wanted a non-obtrusive lens that would allow me to fix my camera/lens combo in a good sized jacket pocket.
This allows me to take the combo almost everywhere, with very little bulk/weight.
And it's stellar optical performance makes it extremely compelling.
I absolutely love my HD 40 LTD
12-21-2021, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Closed Account

The remedy is to buy it, as if you needed to ask. It has a smoothness and tonality you'll find hard to beat. Not to mention sharp and beautiful rendering. Mind you I don't have the Da 35 Ltd but I did have the 35mm 2.4 and the 40 is better. And rationality, is that a thing when it comes to lenses?

12-21-2021, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Personally I've never really liked the 40mm focal length, however I liked the compact nature (I had the XS, a bit smaller but similar enough) and found it really fun to wander around with because of that. In the end I sold it for a few dollars as it was decentred and I didn't like it anyways, so wasn't bothered enough to pull it apart myself (it does sound like the buyer was able to fix it, and I hope they post their repair process on the forum here).

I think you're attracted to it for the fact it's a Limited, even with capable lenses on either side, but I think it's a different enough shooting experience that it's worth picking up - you can always resell if you don't find the magic in it. One also just popped up on the marketplace here at a nice price...
12-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Specifically, I wanted a non-obtrusive lens that would allow me to fix my camera/lens combo in a good sized jacket pocket.
This allows me to take the combo almost everywhere, with very little bulk/weight.
And it's stellar optical performance makes it extremely compelling.
I absolutely love my HD 40 LTD
I do this right now with my DA 21 Limited on my K-S1, and usually the DA 70 is in another pocket.

The size is indeed an allure, but do I need it when I have the 21/70 setup, and have my 35s and 50s available? Not really. Am I craving it? Sure! Makes no sense, does it?
12-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The size is indeed an allure, but do I need it
The 21 LTD is 25mm
The 40 LTD is 15mm
The 40 XS is only 9.2mm

I guess it comes down to how big your pockets are

---------- Post added 12-21-21 at 02:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think you're attracted to it for the fact it's a Limited
You've described me entirely :|

12-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The 21 LTD is 25mm
The 40 LTD is 15mm
The 40 XS is only 9.2mm

I guess it comes down to how big your pockets are

---------- Post added 12-21-21 at 02:16 PM ----------

I feel naked without my clothes on :|
I'm making it work with the 21 but yeah it's a bit tight...

Interestingly, used prices on the 40 XS seem to be a bit higher than on the 40 Limited, which can be found quite cheap nowadays.
12-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I carry the 40 ltd in a felt bag in a pocket whenever I'm out and think there might be interesting golden/blue/other lighting. Essentially zero weight/cubage penalty.

As I've mentioned on many occasions here, I love the way it renders those scenes. It's also great for street photography for those interested and skilled with that. One local photog often posts 40mm pics on a Newfoundland facebook group (also 70mm and 100mm) with street subjects including monochrome shots where the light rendering works beautifully as well. But neither monochrome nor street are my typical personal style, most times. Since he includes "Ltd" in his lens description, I assume he's a Pentaxian though we have not met and I don't sign on to or actually communicate w/ facebook and so only view.

Last edited by jgnfld; 12-21-2021 at 02:41 PM.
12-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 40 Limited is not a lens that I'll ever, actually have a rational need for... I have two DA 35s (35 Limited Macro and Plastic Fantastic 35 2.4). I have a few 50s. They are all faster (or as fast in the case of the 35 Limited) than the 40 Limited and do not lack in quality at all. In fact, the 35 Limited is probably a better lens in every aspect but size.

Why then do I keep looking at pictures taken with the DA 40 Limited (or even the DA 40 XS) and finding myself attracted to this lens? Thinking, "I still have this K-3 grip that I can sell, and the SMC-M 150 3.5, so sell both and I can probably buy this 40mm"...

Does this make any sense at all? Am I going crazy with LBA?.... what's the remedy???
several things I can recommend about the 40 Limited...

size, colors, sharpness, clarity... I like it better than the 43 Limited (sold my 43 in favor of the 40)...

the 40 Ltd is my evaluation lens, more so than any other, for any new m-mount body that arrives here. - it's that reliable for me...
12-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In fact, the 35 Limited is probably a better lens in every aspect but size.
And weight. The DA 35 Limited is permanently attached to my infrared-converted K-7; on this camera it is the sharpest of all my lenses across a wide range of f-stops. The DA 40 Limited is one of my favourite street lenses, small and unobtrusive.
12-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

one more thing..

you'll learn to hate the screw-in lens cap....
12-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Personally I've never really liked the 40mm focal length, however I liked the compact nature (I had the XS, a bit smaller but similar enough) and found it really fun to wander around with because of that. In the end I sold it for a few dollars as it was decentred and I didn't like it anyways, so wasn't bothered enough to pull it apart myself (it does sound like the buyer was able to fix it, and I hope they post their repair process on the forum here).
Thank you... did you not like it because you have better lenses in that range, or do you not find yourself shooting in that range?
I confess that 35mm is perfect for normal and 50mm is perfect for short tele, so I don't even know if I would gel with the focal length...

QuoteQuote:
I think you're attracted to it for the fact it's a Limited, even with capable lenses on either side, but I think it's a different enough shooting experience that it's worth picking up - you can always resell if you don't find the magic in it. One also just popped up on the marketplace here at a nice price...
Well I'll have to sell a couple of things first like I mentioned, so if this ends up happening, it won't happen until sometime next year, I'm sure.... but I'm still trying to talk myself out of GAS... do I have a hope?
12-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't speak for the XS, but I own the HD DA40/2.8 Limited. When I bought it and first tried it, I wasn't all that keen on the field of view (this is on its native APS-C format). It felt a bit "tight"... noticeably more-so than 35mm which I feel entirely comfortable with. As a result, for some time I didn't use it all that often. Months later, I went through a period of shooting the 58mm Helios-44-2 and variants on my full-frame Sony A7 MkII. They felt similarly "tight", but I was more forgiving of them as I really wanted to shoot with that series of lenses. Over the course of a few weeks I got used to working with the field of view, and began to enjoy it. A few months after that, I got round to using the DA40 Limited on my K-3 once more, and suddenly "got it". The field of view on APS-C really is very close to a Helios-44-2 on full frame - but of course the contrast, rendering and general performance are much more "up-to-date", whilst retaining plenty of personality. It's a lovely lens, and if you like (or can adapt to) the field of view, it's a must have, IMHO. Certainly different enough to any of the K-mount 35s or 50s to warrant having one.

The only minor issue I have - and I've noticed it with more than one copy of the exact same lens - is that it seems slightly more prone to mild overshoot in AF than my other HD DA Limiteds. I only notice it on very close range subjects at wide apertures, but it definitely happens, and it's not just my copy. It's immaterial in most situations and use-cases, most people probably wouldn't notice it, and it's certainly not a factor that should influence anyone buying it - but I thought it worth mentioning anyway...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-21-2021 at 03:58 PM.
12-21-2021, 02:44 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
one more thing..

you'll learn to hate the screw-in lens cap....
I find even w/o the cap the conical hood keeps most dust out when kept in a felt bag (or children's sock which I've also used). Also, I found a little plastic container once that fit the hole perfectly. Makes for a much better solution for me.BTW, it doesn't NEED golden light. It works great in full sun as well as seen here. Took the exact same shot with my 16-85 @40mm and it wasn't as satisfying. Especially in rendering the steel gray cloud

\\\

Last edited by jgnfld; 12-21-2021 at 02:55 PM.