Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. The 'jiggle' might have been something I was more inclined to overlook if it weren't made by holding the lens exactly where I do. It didn't do this up-down, curiously, ...part of why I thought it might just be expected that a user wouldn't do that or something like that.

And, yeah, Heather, the Katz-eye screens are of interest to me, (if only they made a plain microprism, that'd *really* be of interest to me. ) I have vague plans to check them out, see what drawbacks they may have, etc, once I really see what I'm dealing with in the plain matte.

Since I like fast lenses, it could be OK without. Sometimes I feel that split prisms are *in the way,* actually. It's good to know those are out there, certainly. ...I'm kind of hoping that a few AF lenses will serve as that crutch I'm looking for most of the time, for starters, but we'll see.

(Not sure how well I described that, but it's kind of a quirky eye problem, it comes and goes and does different things under different conditions: basically, I wear glasses to prevent eye strain, not really to see, per se. If I get tired or weak, they'll give up trying to focus and that's what makes it hard to tell I have focus in the camera. A lot of the time this'll happen in light the AF can surely handle: and *usually* I'm OK with a fast lens in dimmer conditions. It's when I'm not too OK with that where I'll be wondering if I'm better off with me hunting or AF hunting. Since I'm usually trying to get focus on faces, when that happens, a nice explodey microprism for fast lenses might fill the bill. )

Hey, actually, do you get a focus confirmation light with the K20? And is it good?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-10-2008 at 10:14 AM.
12-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was browsing around at KEH.com and I found this:
KEH Camera: Pentax Auto Focus - Fixed Focal Lengths - 50 F1.7 SMC F (49) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS

I've used one of these before and it's an excellent lens for the money...and it's AF!

Heather
12-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just tested my FA 50mm and there is a small bit of play if I force the focus ring from side to side, but I would never call it a jiggle.

I also have an FA 20mm f/2.8 that I bought on the forums that has a lot of looseness, but still works correctly and takes good pics. I keep meaning to ask the seller if the lens was like that when he bought it, but I just haven't got around to it.

Are you returning it for an exchange? The FA 50mm really is the best bang-for-the-buck lens Pentax currently sells and I would recommend it to everyone and anyone who owns a Pentax camera.
12-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
And, yeah, Heather, the Katz-eye screens are of interest to me, (if only they made a plain microprism, that'd *really* be of interest to me. ) I have vague plans to check them out, see what drawbacks they may have, etc, once I really see what I'm dealing with in the plain matte.

Since I like fast lenses, it could be OK without. Sometimes I feel that split prisms are *in the way,* actually. It's good to know those are out there, certainly. ...I'm kind of hoping that a few AF lenses will serve as that crutch I'm looking for most of the time, for starters, but we'll see.

(Not sure how well I described that, but it's kind of a quirky eye problem, it comes and goes and does different things under different conditions: basically, I wear glasses to prevent eye strain, not really to see, per se. If I get tired or weak, they'll give up trying to focus and that's what makes it hard to tell I have focus in the camera. A lot of the time this'll happen in light the AF can surely handle: and *usually* I'm OK with a fast lens in dimmer conditions. It's when I'm not too OK with that where I'll be wondering if I'm better off with me hunting or AF hunting. Since I'm usually trying to get focus on faces, when that happens, a nice explodey microprism for fast lenses might fill the bill. )

Hey, actually, do you get a focus confirmation light with the K20? And is it good?
My KatzEye experience: I got my camera in 2005 and started buying manual focus lenses in 2006. I read about KatzEye and it seemed like a great idea until I read the price. "No way, that's like 15% of the price of the whole camera," I said to my wife. So she bought it for me as a gift.

What I noticed right away is that my eye was working really hard to focus with the regular screen. I would often get cross-eyed trying to make sure of the correct focus. The KatzEye eliminated that issue. It works great. The price is kind of high, but it makes using MF lenses far easier, and I save a fair amount on those.

BTW, it does have a collar of microprisms around the split prisms. I use both, and the microprisms work well. One of my gripes against the K1000 was that it only had microprisms (except for some later models). I like having both options.

Also, you do get focus confirmation with the K20D, a green hexagon on the status line in the viewfinder and a beep you can disable. It is as accurate as the AF sensors*. With Pentax-A or newer lenses, the different focus points are active too, so you can tell where the camera thinks something is in focus. With M, K or screw-mount lenses, only the center point is active, not really a big deal. You can set the camera to take a photo only when something is in focus, then manually focus until the camera fires. I think this is called "Catch-In-Focus" on the K20D, and on other cameras it had no name. (My DS manual doesn't mention it at all.)

*AF has two weaknesses. One is low light and or low contrast, so the sensors don't get enough information to focus. This one gets all the press. The second is, AF has no idea what should be in focus. The sensors see something in focus and fire. The second issue drives me to use MF in low light/wide aperture shooting. At least then, I know I nailed/botched the focus.

12-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Exchange it, something is wrong with it. This lens should be rock solid.
12-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, it should be back at Adorama by now, I'm expecting to hear something about one coming back to me, soon. Unexpectedly, the kit lens is coming with my K20, so there'll be something to play around with, at least, in the meantime.

Hope it's a good one. I rather like this style: more solid than I really was expecting by the look of them, and having felt the similar older ones with the plastickey focus ring. This should be what really tells me what I can expect out of the system, too.