Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Question about filters?

I went to pick up a filter for my 18-250mm today and was shocked at the price.
I donít know if itís just me but $50-70 for a UV filter is kind of ridiculous.
My question is what is a good name filter at a low price? Noticed on e-bay couple of choices but just getting back into photography not familiar with any of the names.

12-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First off - welcome back to photography.

Filters are no different from lens glass in that they block a certain amount of light and can cause distortion. The better filters have better glass and are multi-coated to aid in light transmission. As you have discovered, good ones such as Hoya's top of the line can run big bucks.

If you search on the board, you will find us pretty evenly divided on who uses filters, and who doesn't.
12-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another thread about filters/no filters...

Filter recommendation - Digital Camera Resource Page Forums
12-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for all your help. I did read about filters within this forum but by the time I was done the filter question was as clear as mud. I read the Digital Camera Resource Page and didnít realize itís quite a debate with photographers. I have decided for my every day lens 18-250mm Iíll get a Sicor 1A or Tefen. The other two lens I have Iíll keep filter free.
Thanks again. Djayvo