Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2021, 02:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Affordable wide angle lens?

Hi and happy holidays!

I am using a Lumix G7 and it's great, however, I'd love to have a wider lens that will act as a 50mm with this crop factor.
Are there any modern or vintage lenses than can be had for a reasonable amount? Between 20mm and 38mm should be fine for my usage.

Thank you in advance!

Edit for more details:

My most used lens for daily stuff is the Helios 44m-4, even though I have a Canon FD 50mm f1.8, I find myself using the Helios a lot.

12-29-2021, 02:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You should have several options. You can go for the classic 35mm lenses - there are plenty in different speeds and I got an old Porst 35/2.8 for like 20€ a couple years ago. Then, the 28mm and 24mm classics also fit the bill... The Pentax 28/2.8 should be reasonably inexpensive and it is pretty good. The Cosina 28 and 24mm lenses are also quite decent, same goes for the Tokina and the Tamron adaptalls.
12-29-2021, 03:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Answer: Carl Zeiss Jena DDR MC Flektogon 35mm f2.4

Affordable, collectable (will not drop in value), variable (superb MFD), takes 49mm filters, small and light.
12-29-2021, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

28mm is a very common focal length in film era wide-angle lenses, and there's a huge choice, many of them inexpensive. I've a soft spot for the Tokina RMC 28mm f/2.8, which you'll find in several variants with 49 or 52mm filter ring diameter and minimum aperture of f/16 or f/22. They obviously don't perform as well as very modern designs, but they produce decent contrast and colours, and they're sharp enough. Nice little lenses, and they can be bought cheaply...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2021 at 04:07 AM.
12-29-2021, 04:13 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Answer: Carl Zeiss Jena DDR MC Flektogon 35mm f2.4

Affordable, collectable (will not drop in value), variable (superb MFD), takes 49mm filters, small and light.
The Zeiss is everything but affordable, especially in EU. But I will look for one in a questionable state to see if it can be fixed. Thank you for the recommendation!

---------- Post added 12-29-21 at 04:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
28mm is a very common focal length in film era wide-angle lenses, and there's a huge choice, many of them inexpensive. I've a soft spot for the Tokina RMC 28mm f/2.8, which you'll find in several variants with 49 or 52mm filter ring diameter and minimum aperture of f/16 or f/22. They obviously don't perform as well as very modern designs, but they produce decent contrast and colours, and they're sharp enough. Nice little lenses, and they can be bought cheaply...
I forgot about the Tokina lenses, thanks!
I will have to shop around for a decent mount, a lot of them in my area are using the Konica mount, and some have been badly converted to M42.

---------- Post added 12-29-21 at 04:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
You should have several options. You can go for the classic 35mm lenses - there are plenty in different speeds and I got an old Porst 35/2.8 for like 20€ a couple years ago. Then, the 28mm and 24mm classics also fit the bill... The Pentax 28/2.8 should be reasonably inexpensive and it is pretty good. The Cosina 28 and 24mm lenses are also quite decent, same goes for the Tokina and the Tamron adaptalls.
The Pentax looks to be the most common one. The Tokina and Tamron for some reason are more expensive than the Soviet MIR lenses.
12-29-2021, 04:36 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paragon Quote
I forgot about the Tokina lenses, thanks!
I will have to shop around for a decent mount, a lot of them in my area are using the Konica mount, and some have been badly converted to M42.
There's a few K-mount versions on eBay UK right now, a couple of them under GBP £30. If you're patient, you should find one cheaper still. I seem to remember paying about GBP £20 for mine (I have two), but that was a few years ago...

The Tokina and Tamron for some reason are more expensive than the Soviet MIR lenses.
Just a note on the MIRs... I collect Soviet lenses, and I wouldn't recommend the MIR-10 3.5/28 or MIR-1V/B 2.8/37... the MIR-10 has poor contrast, especially without a hood (but even with), while the MIR-1V/B just isn't that sharp - at least, the copies I tried weren't. They were OK... but nothing to write home about. The early MIR-1 (no V or B suffix) "Grand Prix" Brussels is excellent, but finding a good one at a sensible price will be a challenge. The MIR-24 2/35 is very good too, but not worth the expense unless you're a collector, IMHO...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-29-2021 at 04:56 AM.
12-29-2021, 04:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

In general modern mft lens will be better and cheaper than most old vintage UWA lenses.
A used copy of Panasonic 20/1.7 or 25/1.7 would not be that expensive.

Or manual focus mft lenses like 7artisans 25mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.2.
They are also faster and lighter than old vintage lenses

Last edited by Fogel70; 12-29-2021 at 05:13 AM.
12-29-2021, 05:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Zeiss is everything but affordable, especially in EU. But I will look for one in a questionable state to see if it can be fixed. Thank you for the recommendation!
First - you wrote "affordable", not "dirt cheap".

Second, sit cool and wait and you find a good Flektagon 35/2.4 for 180-200 euro. You can use it with sense for 5 years, and then sell it for 250 euro. How is that not affordable?

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 12-29-2021 at 05:36 AM. Reason: grammar / meaning
12-29-2021, 05:19 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
In general modern mft lens will be better and cheaper than most old vintage UWA lenses.
A used copy of Panasonic 20/1.7 or 25/1.7 would not be that expensive.

Or manual focus mft lenses like 7artisans 25mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.2.
They are also faster and lighter than old vintage lenses
I do consider the 7artisans 25mm f/1.8, but I've never used any of their lenses. How are they sharpness wise?

---------- Post added 12-29-21 at 05:23 AM ----------

There's a few K-mount versions on eBay UK right now, a couple of them under GBP £30. If you're patient, you should find one cheaper still. I seem to remember paying about GBP £20 for mine (I have two), but that was a few years ago...

Just a note on the MIRs... I collect Soviet lenses, and I wouldn't recommend the MIR-10 3.5/28 or MIR-1V/B 2.8/37... the MIR-10 has poor contrast, especially without a hood (but even with), while the MIR-1V/B just isn't that sharp - at least, the copies I tried weren't. They were OK... but nothing to write home about. The early MIR-1 (no V or B suffix) "Grand Prix" Brussels is excellent, but finding a good one at a sensible price will be a challenge. The MIR-24 2/35 is very good too, but not worth the expense unless you're a collector, IMHO...
Too bad to hear about the MIRs, it looks like they are the same type of lenses sharpness wise as the Jupiter 9 and 8 lenses. They look good on your camera, but honestly, if they can't be sharper than a Helios 44m-4 that I've got for 3 USD, then it's a fail.
12-29-2021, 05:32 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Too bad to hear about the MIRs, it looks like they are the same type of lenses sharpness wise as the Jupiter 9 and 8 lenses. They look good on your camera, but honestly, if they can't be sharper than a Helios 44m-4 that I've got for 3 USD, then it's a fail.
A "good" MIR-1 Grand Prix Brussels is an excellent lens of its vintage, and the MIR-24 is very good - but both are priced for collectors, and don't offer value for money in terms of performance. Earlier Jupiter-9 lenses are also excellent, and my Jupiter-8 performs well too... so if your experience of those wasn't positive, it may be they were later versions, not in good optical condition or messed around with.

The 44M-4 is a good lens, especially the MC version... but there are numerous other Soviet lenses that perform as well or better.
12-29-2021, 05:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe the Panasonic 25/1.7 would fit the bill as well - it could be had for about 100€

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
First - you wrote "affordable", not "dirt cheap".

Second - a good Flektagon 35/2.4 go for 180-200 euro. You can use it for 5 years, then sell it for 250 euro. How is not that affordable?

Over and out!
While it isn't quite what I'd call expensive (though I'm seeing those more at 220-230€), "affordable" isn't the same for everyone . "Dirt cheap" for me is anywhere around 15-30€, with "affordable" at less than 150€. Anything above that and I'd start considering.
12-29-2021, 05:40 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
A "good" MIR-1 Grand Prix Brussels is an excellent lens of its vintage, and the MIR-24 is very good - but both are priced for collectors, and don't offer value for money in terms of performance. Earlier Jupiter-9 lenses are also excellent, and my Jupiter-8 performs well too... so if your experience of those wasn't positive, it may be they were later versions, not in good optical condition or messed around with.

The 44M-4 is a good lens, especially the MC version... but there are numerous other Soviet lenses that perform as well or better.
I don't think that the one I have is the MC variant, but it's good enough for 3 USD. It has plenty of scratches but above F2 is very sharp even though the contrast is lacking in many cases. However, low contrast and weak colors I can fix later.

---------- Post added 12-29-21 at 05:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Maybe the Panasonic 25/1.7 would fit the bill as well - it could be had for about 100€

While it isn't quite what I'd call expensive (though I'm seeing those more at 220-230€), "affordable" isn't the same for everyone . "Dirt cheap" for me is anywhere around 15-30€, with "affordable" at less than 150€. Anything above that and I'd start considering.
I respect the Zeiss lenses but above 200 EUR I can just as easily find a good used modern lens with image stabilization and auto focus among other things.
12-29-2021, 06:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Auto 110 24 2.8, possibly? It would mean buying a new adapter, I assume. It also doesn't have an iris in the lens. I'm not sure whether available adapters include one (or even whether they feasibly could). Pretty sure the image circle is perfect for m4/3, both have 2x crop factor. There is also the 20-40 zoom, although I don't think it's much of a performer.
12-29-2021, 07:26 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and happy holidays!

I am using a Lumix G7 and it's great, however, I'd love to have a wider lens that will act as a 50mm with this crop factor.
Are there any modern or vintage lenses than can be had for a reasonable amount? Between 20mm and 38mm should be fine for my usage.
I’m selling my m43 gear and one of the items is my Panasonic 20mm f1.7 which I think I’ve priced well, but I’ve limited sales to the USA. I’m saying this not to sell it but to suggest it as an excellent lens that is affordable in the range you mention. The 25 f1.7 and Olympus 25 f1.8 are also good options.

As to the seven artisans lens… maybe not: https://alikgriffin.com/7artisans-25mm-f1-8-review-sample-photos/
12-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The Tamron Adaptall-2 28mm f/2.5 is probably as good as any in its class, if slightly bulkier/heavier, and has the advantage of effectively being available in a wide range of mounts, so should be useable on most any adaptor you already have
Similarly for the Adaptall-2 24mm, though these usually fetch a higher price.