Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2022, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Don't circumcise your DFA21 with a dremel.
or at least wait until the eighth day, post delivery.

Steve

01-02-2022, 02:28 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I understand. I just wish that on this forum there could be more discussion about what could be better, rather than just accept what Pentax has done and the “move on if you don’t like it” ending to most attempts at thoughtful discussion.
From the original post...

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Does anybody else find it odd that Pentax released a full frame 21mm lens that can’t be used with any filter kits such as 100x100mm grads?
The short answer, so far, is that you are alone. As such, the thread has taken a predictable path based on conventional wisdom and horror at subsequent comments regarding irreversible surgery to a lens that few of us can justify for purchase as an early adopter. One thing we know for sure is that Pentax is not going to make the hood removable. Whether a branded adapter to accommodate a wide range of third-party filters is in the works is unknown.

Don't worry. You are still our friend.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-02-2022 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Accurcy and spelling
01-02-2022, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The Lee 150 kit will work for everything. Specifically, it also mounts natively on the Ø82 DA*11-18 and DFA24-70.
Lee also lists the D FA 15-30/2.8 as compatible:

The LEE SW150 Mark II Filter System especially designed for a range of popular ultra-wideangle lenses.

Steve
01-02-2022, 05:28 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lee also lists the D FA 15-30/2.8 as compatible
Yes Steve. I bought it specifically for that lens, but it requires a custom designed adaptor, which mounts onto the barrel of the lens.

Lenses with a 82mm filter thread (like the DA*11-18 and DFA24-70) can mount the Lee 150 filter holder without an extra adaptor.

01-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #50
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
maybe they can build an 74mm adaptor for the 150 system.
Here you can see how it works:
01-03-2022, 09:49 PM - 3 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NiSi make a 150mm filter holder similar to the Lee, it is more adaptable barrel fit filter holder and thus is able to suit a greater number of wide, and super-wide lenses.

An adapter with a 77mm opening can be padded to fit the max diameter of DFA21 Limited outer lens barrel which is approx 74mm. Though this filter holder is nearly twice the price of the already expensive Lee filter holder.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-03-2022 at 10:04 PM.
01-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #52
pid
Pentaxian

I think the Lee Filter may be the better option, because with the NISI solution the open sides of the lens hood would propably closed and cause vignetting on left and right side of the picture.

01-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With all that’s been said, I do agree that it would have been nice to have some way of fastening adapters. Pentax remains Pentax though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DFA 21/2.4 is (in my opinion) optimised more for spontaneous photography than serious landscape work. It excels at environmental portraiture and still lifes, where the background context is important.

Every other Limited ever made has its own dedicated hood. It is part of the design brief for these lenses.

The DFA 15-30/2.8 is the "serious" full frame landscape lens. There is a widely available mounting kit for Lee 150 filters. I bought it, and it works well. I rarely use it though, because I'm lazy
This exactly. Though, if somebody were to make an attachment for the 21, I would buy it (probably have to get a 3D printer and design one instead).

The Penron 15-30 is an excellent lens though. Let’s face it, if I’m going to the effort to carry a 150mm filter kit, I can probably take the 15-30 as well.

---------- Post added 01-04-22 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There is a proposed DFA* lens on the roadmap with a wide aperture that has yet to be announced.
Bound to be a 35mm right?

---------- Post added 01-04-22 at 01:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
why not 3D print a slip on adapter for your square filter holder?
This is the way.

Last edited by DamienW; 01-04-2022 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
01-04-2022, 07:02 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Given the extreme cost and the loss of value and warranty that seems frankly ridiculous. Buying a few 67mm filters is a small price to pay. If you do it I suggest putting it up on YouTube as it will likely get a lot of hits and cringeworthy videos are often popular.
Agree. Mine just arrived and it's too pretty for cutting,

I don't have any square filters so I'm speculating, but couldn't an external frame mount be used for the 100x100 filters? That way you could quickly swap lenses without having to mess with the rest of the rig too.
I like the slip on adapter idea too. It's very smooth on the outside and the cover slips over the lens hood with only friction holding it. It does make me wonder how long it will be before I donate the cover to the wilderness though. I have enough trouble keeping up with locking ones.
Personally, I'm just going after a couple 67mm filters if step rings won't take it to 72mm(hood might hit)
01-05-2022, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
I don't have any square filters so I'm speculating, but couldn't an external frame mount be used for the 100x100 filters? That way you could quickly swap lenses without having to mess with the rest of the rig too.
I'm sure there's plenty of examples where people have printed up their own. I guess if you could easily get a hold of a replacement lens cap, perhaps it could be Macgyvered into a rig.

I like the slip on adapter idea too. It's very smooth on the outside and the cover slips over the lens hood with only friction holding it. It does make me wonder how long it will be before I donate the cover to the wilderness though. I have enough trouble keeping up with locking ones.
I tend to have set aside my Ltd lens caps in the past, and just used a generic pinch cap instead...though I guess this would leave the hood exposed with the 21mm. At least the hood offers some protection should you lose the cap!

Personally, I'm just going after a couple 67mm filters if step rings won't take it to 72mm(hood might hit)
It's pretty rare now that I want to stack multiple filters, so I guess for almost all uses one-at-a-time will be fine. Personally I'd not often be using a polariser on such a wide lens (I've usually got plenty of sky in my subjects, and that would band at 21mm), so that would leave me with ND's. Every now and then I find it fun to play with grad and normal ND's stacked for that long high dynamic range exposure.

Congrats on the lens BTW!
01-07-2022, 11:26 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote

It's pretty rare now that I want to stack multiple filters, so I guess for almost all uses one-at-a-time will be fine. Personally I'd not often be using a polariser on such a wide lens (I've usually got plenty of sky in my subjects, and that would band at 21mm), so that would leave me with ND's. Every now and then I find it fun to play with grad and normal ND's stacked for that long high dynamic range exposure.

Congrats on the lens BTW!

Thanks it's pretty awesome! and yeah, that about sums up my needs. Possibly IR pass and iv/ir block filters for the full spectrum k5. I still haven't checked to see if step rings will fit the 72mm Ir I have between the hood ears. I did verify that smaller filters get in shot pretty quick, as expected on a wide angle like this. I think the gradient filter would be the one thing I'd want square for. I currently use Rawtherapee's gradient filter when needed to control crazy light sometimes.
01-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #57
Pentaxian

It’s a design flaw. OK in order to protect the front element, you either add a short hood or make it a 82mm wide dish. Pentax went the first way. Life could be worse.
01-07-2022, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
It’s a design flaw.
You mean it doesn't fit your preferences, It isn't a flawed design if it works as the designer intended. The intention of the built in lens hood is to reduce lens flare and prevent rain/dust from getting on the rather prominent front lens element and having a detrimental effect on image quality. Have you ever seen what happens when rain drops get on the front element of a UWA lens?

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-10-2022 at 04:10 PM.
01-07-2022, 09:18 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know anyone else mentioned it as I haven't read every post, but on-sensor filters are a very viable option. I use them now, and the same filters fit both my K-70 and K3III as well as the K1. I can also make a quick lens change without having to change filter holders. I've been very satisfied with mine.

https://stcoptics.com/en/clip_filter/

EDIT: Their Astro filters might be of particular interest to some.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-07-2022 at 09:25 PM.
01-07-2022, 09:35 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
on-sensor filters are a very viable option.
The only issue with those is the fact that you don't get accurate TTL metering through the OVF. But for methodical tripod-mounted work those have certainly piqued my interest.