Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2022, 01:03 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Oops, I did it again

Hello,
So I guess it's a common issue on this forum... I'm just here to confess that I bought a lens by accident, again.
This time, as I was looking for a wide-angle option cheaper than the DFA21 that I didn't win despite my dedication, I was acutally thinking of a FA 20-35 but they are few in good condition.
And I stumbled on a FA* 24mm at 199€, with no bidders. I bid only up the starting price, a few hours before closure, thinking for sure someone would get this one at close to 300. But, what happened? I got the email from Ebay that my purchase was confirmed
Oops, sorry Well I'm not taking a big risk anyway at this price, I'll test it against my current A 24 and resell the one like least (even the less costly option should go for close to 200€).

01-06-2022, 01:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victordeamorin Quote
This time, as I was looking for a wide-angle option cheaper than the DFA21 that I didn't win despite my dedication, I was acutally thinking of a FA 20-35 but they are few in good condition.
Happens all the time. Ricoh promote something, customer realize that might be useful and then compare alternatives. What happens next depends on how competitive the alternatives are. Have fun with your new to you FA * 24.
01-06-2022, 01:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry about your “accident “, I’m sure you might learn to live with it!
01-06-2022, 02:03 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I’m sure you might learn to live with it!
Right now I need to be strong and tell myself it's all going to be OK in the end... thanks for your kind words

01-06-2022, 05:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Assuming it's a decent copy (hopefully w/ hood, unlike mine), I'd say you got a great deal. So you can feel good about that. That lens sems to be a bargain these days, but you did better than normal.
But yes, sometimes it's hard to remember not to bid if you don't want to buy!
01-06-2022, 05:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I did the same thing with Helios PK fit bellows - so then I needed an adapter for M39 to PK, and an enlarging lens - which together cost more than the bellows ! Ho hum - I can see a summer of Macro coming my way.
01-06-2022, 06:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

And I stumbled on a FA* 24mm at 199€, with no bidders. I bid only up the starting price, a few hours before closure, thinking for sure someone would get this one at close to 300. But, what happened? I got the email from Ebay that my purchase was confirmed
Oops, sorry Well I'm not taking a big risk anyway at this price, I'll test it against my current A 24 and resell the one like least (even the less costly option should go for close to 200€).
I think you'll be well served by that lens. It has interested me for a long time.

The FA20-35 is one of the few lenses that ever disappointed me. I expected to love it, but even though it had no obvious flaws, I never warmed to it. It's the only lens that I saw as part of my "final lineup" that I ever re-sold.

The DFA21 is very very good, as per the recent review, but I'm sure the bang for the buck of the FA24 will be quite high.

01-06-2022, 07:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
hopefully w/ hood, unlike mine
Yes, it does not looks pristine (scratches on the silver as always) but all accessories are present
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I think you'll be well served by that lens. It has interested me for a long time.
The FA20-35 is one of the few lenses that ever disappointed me.
I'm actually getting fairly excited about it (funny, it's the first time I have this peak excitement after purchase instead of before) and I'll make sure to report back here when I receive it!
Interesting to hear about your 20-35 experience, it goes against the general consensus that led me to believe this could be "the" wide angle to rule them all. Anyway, I won't be getting one very soon now
If that FA*24 gives satisfaction it could be my wide for years to come!

---------- Post added 06-01-22 at 15:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I can see a summer of Macro coming my way
Enjoy I'll do "wide-angle spring" in the meantime...
01-06-2022, 08:32 AM   #9

Hello,
So I guess it's a common issue on this forum... I'm just here to confess that I bought a lens by accident, again.
Be very careful....!!!

You know what happened to Britney after she released the Album "Oops! I did it again'...
01-06-2022, 09:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Accidents can be forgiven.............................

Not buying a lens........... that depends on your perspective.
01-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can never go wrong with a Jun Hirokawa design... I'm sure you'll be happy with the lens in its intended use (won't be sharp edge to edge at wide apertures, but that's not what it's for).

You should have no problems selling it if you don't like it...
01-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh what a tragedy! I’m sorry to hear about your accident! Having fun with the lens will surely make up for it....
01-06-2022, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha! It would be nice to have this happen - I occasionally bit on something like that as an outside chance but unfortunately it never seems to come off (well not with something that good at least).

Its funny I have had my FA*24 for about a year now and at first I thought it was "not bad" but now as I got used to it, I really like it. Its particularly good for close up bokeh shots. I have rashly ordered a DFA 21 (very unusual for me to order something new, let alone newly released!) but it hasn't arrived in NZ yet - when I finally get it, I will compare it to the FA*24 in my user review.
01-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Let's hope it turns out to. be the proverbial happy accident.
01-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To paraphrase the great Red Green:
I have LBA , but I can change, If I have to, I guess

Sounds like a good deal though