Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2022, 10:03 AM   #16
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
There are a lot of interesting ideas in this thread, I have not heard that the 1.7TC is faster than focusing just the lens. I know my DA*300 seems to focus faster with the DA 1.4, but I just think that is me. I had the old DA55-300 (non WR) and now have the DA 55-300PLM. I feel the sharpness is the same on either, but on the old one I had to get to F8 to get sharpness, the PLM delivers wide open, and it also does not have that loud and painfully slow screw drive autofocus, it's quiet and fast. I also use the PLM lens with the TC but only if the light is good. It would not be a combo to use in a dark wooded area. Funny I rarely shoot lower than 300, but a few weeks ago I took the PLM and teleconverter in the Kayak with me, I though I might get a few landscapes in that way. Well I saw a bunch of Black-crowned Night Herons in some trees, took some shots paddles past to come back from the other direction for different angles and all of a sudden a marsh rabbit hops into the water and swims right past me, for once, I was glad to have the zoom, I was able to get some good shots at 77mm, where with the 300 I may have only go the rabbit swimming from behind. I only add this incident in there to say that sometimes a zoom can be better than a prime, certainly in an opportunist way, and I never would have got that with the old 55-300's slow autofocus, it happened very fast and I was lucky not only with the gear I had, but just to be looking in the right direction. The PLM has a little slower aperture, but it is actually having faster usable aperture in my experience. I'll use the PLM and TC more often when at the beach or on the water especially if I want a lighter smaller kit. But when I go inland to the forests, or if it's really overcast or stormy looking I'm more likely to use the DA*300 & TC. But get what you want or you may never feel satisfied. There is also those Bigmas, I rented a 50-500 several years ago and considered buying it, but I thought the DA 300 images were just better. But that 50-500 was not too heavy and pretty easy to handhold, I'm sure I would have got better with is had I used it more that 2-3 days. But I don't think they have produced them for many years so it could be risky getting a used one.

Hopefully your cardiologist is just pessimistic.
Cardiologist are always pessimistic lol. But the blockage is pretty bad :|
Anyways, I was always happy with the Da*300, and I guess a TC would afford me the extra reach and I will just have to deal with the slowness.
I know the 1.7TC can be the af for a non af lens, I just don't know if it behaves that way with an AF lens, If it does it would have a much shorter throw.
Most the reviews I have read on the new 55-300 were not stellar, esp past 260MM. My old one was sharp at 300, but I am sure it was just an extraordinarily good copy, and we all know about the difference in copies from lens to lens.
Still, that's a grand I will have to save up for a new DA* and then more for the TC, so I have time.

01-07-2022, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Most the reviews I have read on the new 55-300 were not stellar, esp past 260MM. My old one was sharp at 300, but I am sure it was just an extraordinarily good copy, and we all know about the difference in copies from lens to lens.
I don't pay a lot of attention to reviews, more to the experience and results I see on this forum. Yes the DA*300 is a little better and faster, but the autofocus of the DA55-300PLM kind of makes up for that, I'm happy to have both, more often bad results come from my technique, some days are better than others.
KP, DA55-300PLM and TC at 420mm from a kayak, the rabbit is not cropped the heron is quite a bit:

KP and 55-300PLM without TC 300mm, from ground, cropped quite a bit:
01-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not really interested in bird photography, not having the patience to wait for their display of plumage or whatever. Nonetheless, I bought a 20 Mpx Canon G3X superzoom 3 years ago and it takes surprising close-ups from far-away. It weighs close to nothing plus it has 2X digital magnification added to an optical equivalent of 24 to 600 mm zoom, all for around 1000 $ brand-new. It focuses fast and delivers excellent colors and sharpness. Canon rendering is a little colder (more bluish) than Pentax lenses though.

Blue Jay
01-07-2022, 02:25 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If wildlife is your thing, I would definitely spring for the DFA 150-450. It sings on the KP - I'm no birder, but had little trouble tracking birds in flight in Antarctica.

I love my DA* 300 too, but it doesn't get much use now. Is it worth getting yours repaired?

01-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #20
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If wildlife is your thing, I would definitely spring for the DFA 150-450. It sings on the KP - I'm no birder, but had little trouble tracking birds in flight in Antarctica.

I love my DA* 300 too, but it doesn't get much use now. Is it worth getting yours repaired?

from what I understand I would have to ship it to Japan for repair. to costly for a 7yo lens and I doubt they can fix the bend on the front that would prevent removing the main lens lol.

the local shop can't get pentax parts and pentax wont ship parts to the US

---------- Post added 01-07-22 at 08:35 PM ----------

lovely shots, love the Penquins lol, Mockingbird looks like he is right here
01-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
from what I understand I would have to ship it to Japan for repair. to costly for a 7yo lens and I doubt they can fix the bend on the front that would prevent removing the main lens lol.

the local shop can't get pentax parts and pentax wont ship parts to the US.
I had my SMC DA 15 Limited repaired in Japan recently, as it was beyond the capacity of the local repairer. They replaced lots of parts, and it's now perfect. I was charged 40% the cost of a new one, which made it worthwhile from my point of view.
01-07-2022, 09:49 PM   #22
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I had my SMC DA 15 Limited repaired in Japan recently, as it was beyond the capacity of the local repairer. They replaced lots of parts, and it's now perfect. I was charged 40% the cost of a new one, which made it worthwhile from my point of view.
well my lens is 7 years old, taken over 400- 500,000 images, had a nasty run in with gravity, the metal frame is bent making removal of the front lens unlikely, it has out-gassing haze on the lenses and can not lock focus from the long side ever. I just don't see it as worth the effort at this point plus the motor is grinding, and although I can, and have hacked it to use the screw drive, the results were not that beneficial, so yea, new lens/used lens lol.
However checking finances, unless I can either get a loan, or manage to sell the instruments I have on craigs list and get a smaller loan, it will take me about 8 months for a new Da* 300mm, +2-3 months for the TC or 19 months for the 150/450 if I purchase either new.

In the mean time I will use the old 300mm for as long as it lasts, resort to the really old 55/300 or simply curtail shooting to macro

---------- Post added 01-07-22 at 11:52 PM ----------

and BTW, really cool to get a rabbit swimming, I'd never have though it.
The BIF's and also nice, I wish I had more types of birds in flight like that, mostly I get Ospreys

---------- Post added 01-07-22 at 11:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I am very much in the same boat as you. I am 69 years old and have Parkinsons. I have considered the DFA 150-450 but the expense and size have stopped me from getting it. I have the DA* 300 and the 1.4 TC but even that combo is hard for me to hold steady with my Parkinsons tremors. What really worked for me for bird and wildlife photography was adding the 55-300 PLM. The size, weight and especially its fast autofocus have proven to be a godsend for me. So, for birding/wildlife outings my go to kit is K-3, 55-300 PLM which I use up to about 280mm (where it is still f5.6) and the DA* with and without the TC for 300 and 420 mm. I also use a monopod with the DA* which helps as my tremors have worsened over time.
just got 4 epidural injections this afternoon, was suppose to be 6 but bleeding got in the way., he hit a few zinger nerves on the way in. My speech suffers from the Parkinson's when I am losde up on steroids, so I am having to type.
Trust me, unless I go over and fix the typos you will wonder what I mean, but hope youl get the intent.

01-08-2022, 03:02 AM   #23
Pentaxian

My Da* 300mm F4 took a slide and fall off the SUV hood. Rather nasty dent in front, slight grinding of the SDM but still works and is sharp.
I however do not feel it is going to have a normal life span based on the grinding.
I never liked the slow SDM and was thinking of upgrading to the DA 150/450 with it's faster motor.

How much will I lose in clarity, sharpness ? from anyone familiar with both.
My old body, which did not survive was a K-3, the new one will be a KP.

Any suggestions ? I mostly shoot wildlife, birds, in flight and still.

Thanks.

If I need to move this thread/topic, let me know and I will post wherever.

DeWolf
Pentax can repair lenses… not too expensive, easy solution.

If you are not happy with AF… get the 150-450 or wait 1-2 years. Pentax will present something in this range.
01-08-2022, 05:19 AM   #24
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Pentax can repair lenses… not too expensive, easy solution.

If you are not happy with AF… get the 150-450 or wait 1-2 years. Pentax will present something in this range.
I have seen quotes range widely, and sometimes just a fee to send it. With the limited value of the lens it would behoove me to replace it.
The 150/450 sounds like the thing. however finances will determine if that or the DA* 300 and a TC new or lightly used perhaps.
Pentax may not be able to repair the haze with the front bent, its pretty solid stuff.
01-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know the 1.7TC can be the af for a non af lens, I just don't know if it behaves that way with an AF lens, If it does it would have a much shorter throw.
Just realized this may not have been cleared up yet.

Yes. It absolutely does behave the same whether it's on an AF or MF lens. You will need to "prefocus" any lens as though it were a manual lens, and the 1.7X does the fine focusing for you. It does not pass the AF (screwdrive or otherwise) through to the lens itself. It does not pass the focal length through for SR and EXIF either (which IMO is better than TCs that do pass that info without multiplying, ensuring it's wrong).

It does certainly have a short throw, aka even if its hunting (because you've "prefocused" wrong) it doesn't have far to go back and forth. Since it's screwdrive, the speed is mostly going to be determined by the camera. As to whether it's fast enough for you, I can't help you there. It sounds like you're looking for a lens that's quite fast at AF, and I doubt it's up to high end modern standards in that regard. It's not as fast as my DFA*50, but that's the only modern AF lens I have used.

It's also not as high quality optically as the "matched" teleconverters with lenses they are designed for (or that's my impression having used both; I've not done careful testing with the same subjects). Whether it's good enough for you, again I can't say.

The 1.7 AF adapter is a funny and unique piece of equipment. It's overpriced for what it is (again IMO), but in certain cases where you already have the lens to work with it, it may make sense. You could buy it and try it with your current busted lens, assuming it's still optically good and functions in manual focus mode (for the "prefocus" part).
If it doesn't work for you, you're only out $200-300 (minus whatever you get if you resell it). If you also sell your DA300, even as is for parts, I think you'll probably come out ahead.
If it does meet your needs, you can decide whether to keep using it with the borked lens or look for a new one, which could be MF to save money vs modern equipment.
01-08-2022, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #26
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote

Yes. It absolutely does behave the same whether it's on an AF or MF lens. You will need to "prefocus" any lens as though it were a manual lens, and the 1.7X does the fine focusing for you. It does not pass the AF (screwdrive or otherwise) through to the lens itself. It does not pass the focal length through for SR and EXIF either (which IMO is better than TCs that do pass that info without multiplying, ensuring it's wrong).

It does certainly have a short throw, aka even if its hunting (because you've "prefocused" wrong) it doesn't have far to go back and forth. Since it's screwdrive, the speed is mostly going to be determined by the camera. As to whether it's fast enough for you, I can't help you there. It sounds like you're looking for a lens that's quite fast at AF, and I doubt it's up to high end modern standards in that regard. It's not as fast as my DFA*50, but that's the only modern AF lens I have used.

It's also not as high quality optically as the "matched" teleconverters with lenses they are designed for (or that's my impression having used both; I've not done careful testing with the same subjects). Whether it's good enough for you, again I can't say.

The 1.7 AF adapter is a funny and unique piece of equipment. It's overpriced for what it is (again IMO), but in certain cases where you already have the lens to work with it, it may make sense. You could buy it and try it with your current busted lens, assuming it's still optically good and functions in manual focus mode (for the "prefocus" part).
If it doesn't work for you, you're only out $200-300 (minus whatever you get if you resell it). If you also sell your DA300, even as is for parts, I think you'll probably come out ahead.
If it does meet your needs, you can decide whether to keep using it with the borked lens or look for a new one, which could be MF to save money vs modern equipment.
Well that's the way I had_7 would act as a type of fine focus. The TC 1.7 that would be fine because I can. I almost always prefocus the DA 300 has a pretty wide throw so it's easy to pre-focus. I still have had great deal of trouble getting it to be sharp. So just this morning I took the older camera the K52S and did a calibration of about 60 microns forward and that puts it sharp at a AF. Fine tune setting up zero so I'm going to test it again at 50 microns and 70 microns and make a decision at where it's going to sit. But you're right, I could always resell the TC. 1.7 is more than I need but I'll take it

---------- Post added 01-08-22 at 11:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote

The 1.7 AF adapter is a funny and unique piece of equipment. It's overpriced for what it is (again IMO), but in certain cases where you already have the lens to work with it, it may make sense. You could buy it and try it with your current busted lens, assuming it's still optically good and functions in manual focus mode (for the "pre-focus" part).
If it does meet your needs, you can decide whether to keep using it with the broken lens or look for a new one, which could be MF to save money vs modern equipment.
was quite an awakening this morning when I tossed the old 55/300 on the K5. wow what a weight difference. I did not recall that difference lol.
But the Da* seems normal for me,I felt like with the 55/300 I didn't have anything to hold onto
I don't expect lightning fast nuclear powered AF, just something faster than the SDM.