The unreal but real solutions to cure LBA

1. get married and give up financial control to lovely wife

2. get yourself into a huge mortgage

3. work for a bank and plan your retirement based on your stock option

4. break all the lenses your have

5. drug yourself to blind or just cut your finger

6. lend out your lens to anothe LBA

7. use your current collection to start a lens leasing business

8. getting notice from Revenue Canada or US that your used lenses are subject to luxury / property tax

9. use your lens to shoot hot chicks and get caught by your wife

The list is going on and on. Pls add yours....

12-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The falling value of the New Zealand dollar has done it for me
12-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I try to manage LBA/CBA and I have many up's and down's like everyone. All LBA victims, myself included, can claim one point or another that we found some sort of magical cure to stop the buying. Before we know it, we buy again.

A month ago, I made a suggestion to learn to manage LBA instead of finding a cure as there seems no known cure. I have taken the following steps to fight my own urge to get yet another lens. I am not successful in managing my LBA, but I have taken the steps to control/manage it. As a frequent buyer and seller, I can share my misery and my thoughts:
  • Have a plan on what you have and what you want to buy down the road. Stick to the plan as much as you can humanly do to fight the urge
  • -
  • Buy the better lens instead of having 5 okay lens before you get sucked into getting the 6th one just to add to your misery of having many unused lens.
  • -
  • Set out the seemingly impossible rules to follow: before you can buy any lens, make it a habit to find a less frequently used lens to sell and follow through with selling the less capable one.
  • -
  • Keep a record of usage and how happy/mad you are with a lens. That usually tell you what is next to trim
  • -
  • Arrange your lens with focal length and aperture, find the obvious duplicates and overlap and you can identity candidates to sell much easier. It will be odd to find six copies of 50/55mm and find yourself content in keeping all of them.
  • -
  • Be honest and generous to other Pentaxian buddies who can help sharing your burden in unloading some of your unused lens.

I will update with more when I remember them.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-09-2008 at 08:21 PM.
12-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My addition to the list:

Run out of stuff to sell (photography-related or not) to sell on Fleabay to finance lens purchases. This means that you actually have to save up money bit by bit...sigh...
That'll slow you down really quickly.

BTW, Hin, I'm slowing down so I can get the better lenses--at least for me, the whole buying and selling bit has gotten rather old.

Heather

12-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Before bidding on or buying a lens, go take ten pictures with whatever lens you haven't used for the longest time.