Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2022, 05:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

In the field with a D-FA 150-450

Hi

Can I ask how people carry the D-FA 150-450 when out and about.

I use the lens mostly with the K1ii attached to a shoulder strap and I tend to carry it either cradled in my arms and or by the tripod mount as I'm loath to put to much strain on the mount between camera and lens, I do suspect though that carrying it by the tripod mount is likely to put a strain on the lens mount. Either way tends to get uncomfortable due to the weight after a while but I don't want the faff of taking it out of a back pack or the like every few minutes.

Is there a better way?

Barry

01-14-2022, 06:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It fits sideways with a camera mounted in a sling such as the Peak Design (or Wandrd, or a few others)

Peak Design Everyday Sling Bag Review - Internal design | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There are a few cases, mainly by Think Tank, which specifically fit big lenses such as this one.

The lens also comes with a decent case, although it won't accept a camera mounted.

Bags such as the Peak Design Everyday Backpack can fit the lens vertically on one side:

Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 and Backpack Zip Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-14-2022, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I use the 150-450 attached to a K1. I have the lens foot on a monopod. I carry it over my shoulder so the lens lays behind my neck and the camera on my shoulder. I get what you say about the strain on the attachment points. I just don't fling it around like a club.
01-14-2022, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I carry it attached to the KP and grip, recently I've been carrying it with a PD slide strap attached with one anchor on the tripod foot and one on the body. Previously I carried it with a two point attachment on the foot, but was worried about the foot failing, so adapted to this new method even if it's slightly less comfortable. The lens mount is plenty strong if you're supporting the lens by the foot, after all that's how it hangs on tripods and such.

When walking I steady or support it with one hand, but happy enough to let it hang when standing still. I generally keep a hand on the zoom ring to keep it at 150mm, as the two point means it hangs down and zooms to 450mm - which I feel is less sturdy for walking and banging around.

I don't carry it in a bag if I plan on shooting with it - it's of no use if it's hidden away and the bear runs across in front of you

01-14-2022, 08:56 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like this...

While this setup shows me carrying the DA*300/4, I rig the 150-450 the same way. It places the kit's weight on the built-in lens foot. I can go all day. No problems...

Cheers.. M
01-14-2022, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you browse the DFA 150-450 thread, inc searching for my posts (#1836), there are a number of suggestions. In brief, I added an eyebolt to the tripod foot on mine.
01-14-2022, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an eyebolt fitted to the tripod foot, and a Black rapid sling strap attached to that, but rarely let it hang loose on the strap. To keep it from moving around against my hip I usually use the tripod foot as a carry handle or cradle it.
The carry strap is more a safety restraint, but handy at times.

Cheers,
Terry

01-14-2022, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i used peak design strap and metal anchor mount from button of camera
Attached Images

01-14-2022, 06:35 PM   #9

I just invested on these iShoot accessories for my newly acquired Sigma 150-500mm.
Quick connect to the tripod is a bonus.

01-15-2022, 06:47 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It fits sideways with a camera mounted in a sling such as the Peak Design (or Wandrd, or a few others)

Peak Design Everyday Sling Bag Review - Internal design | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There are a few cases, mainly by Think Tank, which specifically fit big lenses such as this one.

The lens also comes with a decent case, although it won't accept a camera mounted.

Bags such as the Peak Design Everyday Backpack can fit the lens vertically on one side:

Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 and Backpack Zip Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thats an excellent idea but not what I was looking for.,thank you though.

---------- Post added 01-15-22 at 06:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I carry it attached to the KP and grip, recently I've been carrying it with a PD slide strap attached with one anchor on the tripod foot and one on the body. Previously I carried it with a two point attachment on the foot, but was worried about the foot failing, so adapted to this new method even if it's slightly less comfortable. The lens mount is plenty strong if you're supporting the lens by the foot, after all that's how it hangs on tripods and such.

When walking I steady or support it with one hand, but happy enough to let it hang when standing still. I generally keep a hand on the zoom ring to keep it at 150mm, as the two point means it hangs down and zooms to 450mm - which I feel is less sturdy for walking and banging around.

I don't carry it in a bag if I plan on shooting with it - it's of no use if it's hidden away and the bear runs across in front of you
There’s not many bears in Tyneside but I like the idea.

---------- Post added 01-15-22 at 06:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoaki Quote
I just invested on these iShoot accessories for my newly acquired Sigma 150-500mm.
Quick connect to the tripod is a bonus.

That looks exactly what I’m looking for provided they have one that’s compatible with the K1ii and the K3iii.

Last edited by bigbaz; 01-15-2022 at 07:29 AM.
01-15-2022, 07:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My Sigma 150-500mm has a strap fastened to the "cross-bar" which is probably an extension of the tripod-foot locking screw.
The camera hangs off my left shoulder, upside-down under my left arm, and can be brought into immediate use.
There's no strain on the camera's lens mount like this, but it does mean it's impractical to have a neck-strap on the body as well, so if I don't want to be using the "bigma" I'll usually pick up a different body
01-15-2022, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #12

In the field with a D-FA 150-450

QuoteOriginally posted by bigbaz Quote
That looks exactly what Iím looking for provided they have one thatís compatible with the K1ii and the K3iii.
I have it mounted on the K1, so you should be good.

iShoot All-Metal Retractable
iShoot 220mm Long Camera Quick

Last edited by photoaki; 01-15-2022 at 08:34 AM.
01-15-2022, 03:49 PM   #13
Forum Member

Look at my Pentax Forums, User Reviews, 3rd Party Lenses, 150-500mm f5-6.3 Sigma discontinued Legacy Lens Zoom lens review. Find it with the latest Sigma Pentax Mount lens model reviews there: with OS, HSM, APO, etc. Mine is under "Climbmountainway", as lists various possible types of long lens mounting support systems. Lately it has been carried with the mentioned monopod, or a similar sling under the arm, as others mention, above. The other most employed support system is a window mount with a medium ball head for an automobile, made by Manfrotto, of Italy (or, as perhaps used, under Bogen named window mounts or heads on ebay). I use the on lens stablization, "1", with the camera body, where I keep a slight drag, not locked down, on the monopod ball head or the window mount ball head (as such too occasionally on such a tripod alike employed head). Then the Optical stablization functions. For the Pentax long lens zoom, you would use the camera with SR on, with the camera with some drag selected on the type of support head, accounting for the changing Pentax long zoom lens focal lengths.

Last edited by climbmountainway; 01-15-2022 at 04:02 PM. Reason: changed a punctuation