Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2022, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Indeed, my *istDx cameras are much more prone to "dust bunnies" than my newer bodies, I'm sure it's simply because the newer cameras have automated sensor-cleaning and dust resilient coatings.
I once change lenses on a beach with a bit of wind with my *ist D. I sheltered as much as I could. I ended up with 60 dust bunnies on every image.

01-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I once change lenses on a beach with a bit of wind with my *ist D. I sheltered as much as I could. I ended up with 60 dust bunnies on every image.
Lots of bunnies in Algonquin Park.
01-20-2022, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeStnly Quote
Lots of bunnies in Algonquin Park.
White bunnies by now.
This was on the French River canoe route, which is not in the park.
01-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it only focal length?
- is seamlessy covered by my zooms from 10 to 450 mm
Or convenience?
- autofocus lenses
Or nightly darkness?
- few lenses in f1.7 to f2.8
Or portraits?
- short range 30 to 135, both primes and zooms...
Or macro?
- some close focussing primes, many manual + extender tubes
Or wildlife?
- mostly prime teles, many manual, 135 up to 400mm.
Or experimentation/fun
- mirror lenses (400 500 600), teleconvertors, manual lenses, ...

2 photo backpacks, medium and large, so I can keep 2 sets ”ready”.
The small backpack isn’t needed: camera with 17-250mm zoom is enough, why adding weight of a backpack...

But only (?) 20 lenses, as many cover more than one use case

I

01-21-2022, 06:46 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Something that gets to me is people talking about carrying two cameras and the weight. What a bunch of wusses. Soldiers in the field fighting and tryin to stay alive carry at least 50 pounds on their back and a 12 pound rifle and trying to stay alive and there are guys saying two cameras at 6 pounds total is a heavy load!!

Last edited by texandrews; 01-22-2022 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Removal of offensive comment
01-21-2022, 06:51 PM - 2 Likes   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dougieazar Quote
Something that gets to me is people talking about carrying two cameras and the weight. What a bunch of wusses. Soldiers in the field fighting and tryin to stay alive carry at least 50 pounds on their back and a 12 pound rifle and trying to stay alive and there are guys saying two cameras at 6 pounds total is a heavy load!!
The difference between a 20-something who has a military role and a retired person is pretty severe.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 01-23-2022 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Remove quote of deleted content
01-21-2022, 07:08 PM - 3 Likes   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The difference between a 20-something who has a military role and a retired person is pretty severe.
When I was 16 years old I could get my whole hand over a basketball rim, almost enough to dunk. Today, I'm lucky if I touch the mesh. I've gone from a 30 inch vertical to a 6 inch vertical. The young dudes don't know what's coming. But if they are lucky, they'll find out soon enough.

01-21-2022, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
When I was 16 years old I could get my whole hand over a basketball rim, almost enough to dunk. Today, I'm lucky if I touch the mesh. I've gone from a 30 inch vertical to a 6 inch vertical. The young dudes don't know what's coming. But if they are lucky, they'll find out soon enough.
Lol. I hear you. I’m in much better shape now than I was just a year ago, but despite losing 90 lbs and walking 3+ miles a day I’m not in the shape I was when I was young.
01-22-2022, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not intended to be hurtful or demeaning. I just am not a complainer. I have an old friend who complained all the time. I challenged her to go one day without complaining. I saw her at the end of the next day and asked her if she did it. She said yes and that she had the best day she had ever had. And with regard to all the lenses I really don't think I would want to toss all of those into the trunk of my car when going on a short local shooting tour. Oh yes and by the way I am 78 and walk with a walking stick but still carry both my K-3 and K-5. I apologize for being so harsh and will not do it again. Have a lovely Pentaxian day....................D
01-22-2022, 07:52 PM - 2 Likes   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not intended to be hurtful or demeaning. I just am not a complainer. I have an old friend who complained all the time. I challenged her to go one day without complaining. I saw her at the end of the next day and asked her if she did it. She said yes and that she had the best day she had ever had. And with regard to all the lenses I really don't think I would want to toss all of those into the trunk of my car when going on a short local shooting tour. Oh yes and by the way I am 78 and walk with a walking stick but still carry both my K-3 and K-5. I apologize for being so harsh and will not do it again. Have a lovely Pentaxian day....................D
Don’t sweat it. You have a right to speak your mind. Engagement in discussion is a give and take. Apologies for assuming your age.
01-23-2022, 02:09 AM - 3 Likes   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Frame your statement, put it on your wall and look at it when you get to 80.

Photography should be fun, not an endurance test.
01-23-2022, 07:03 AM   #102

We are all different. Both mentally and physically. Attitude prevents some people from doing things, health prevents others. My wife can't carry much, she has torn rotator cups, but you can't see it. I am 68 and hope I can carry my cameras at 78 like you. Well done. I would love to see some of your photos.
01-23-2022, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm just 65 . . . but when I shoot concerts at a small venue here in town, I typically carry my K-3ii with lens (usually the K 35/2 to start) and four other lenses in my Domke F2 or F6. If I want to work light, I may bring three or four lenses and one body in my F3. I used to bring a second body sometimes, and do think of using a dedicated lens on my K-5 at times.

I've got about 30 lenses total, most Pentax, and those mostly Ms and Ks, though I have three DAs I use regularly, and another I can call on, and some m42s as well. All primes--well, there are a couple zooms but I never bring them out; I've been shooting with primes since I learned the basics with my dad's Retina Reflex S back in the late '60s, and I've just never got used to zooms. I have a much shorter list for concerts, though, and what I bring depends on whether a band or solo artist is performing. Fast lenses always get the nod, and I either use them wide open or one stop slower, rarely at their optimum aperture . . . though "optimum" at a concert is different than optimum in field or wherever shooting landscapes. The longest lens I bring these days is my K SMC 135/2.5; I've brought my K SMC 200/2.5 before, but it's just now worth lugging around. (Though I have used that one for well-lit school concerts, and it performs great there.)

Lots of times I opt for less weight, which means fewer lenses. Some of my primes are fairly hefty, but lots of them are pretty light. When I travel light, the DA 21/3.2 Limited and DA 70/2.4 Limited always tag along, and maybe my M 50/1.7 instead of an f/1.4. (I choose guitars that are light, too: there's nary a Les Paul on my rack, and I prefer hollow-body archtops or a flattop.) But if I need a fast lens, I have some to choose from.

And I have to admit . . . there are some zooms out there that I think I wouldn't mind having. . . .

dougieazer . . . I sure hope I'm out with my cameras thirteen years from now when I'm 78! So long as my eyes don't get too bad. . . .