Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How to keep the LBA alive

I am a moron.

I got a K10D 2nd hand 4 months ago. Soon after, got me an A50/1.7, M28/2.8, A70-210/4, DA*40/2.8 - all from this site - and a lowepro slingshot100 bag. Threw all the gear in the bag with lots of silica gel packets for the moisture. Took it everywhere with me, bag sealed in darkness. The car (parked in the hot sun), the house (in the shadow of rainforest).

This weekend, finally got some sun....enough that while shooting the niece's U10 soccer, noticed that all my lens have spots in them. Lots.

Oops, silica gel can only do so much, not a magic bullet. All the lenses are probably messed up.

I can't even bring myself to click on selective smilies...messed up every lens, and probably the camera too.

While I can be consoled that I did this on the cheap and bought everything at bargain, what do I do?

I've already resigned myself to the "project" of dismantling the m28 as it's the worst off (and the least used) to try my hand at cleaning. Something to do this weekend.

All lenses have sat under the sun for a few hours to kill the mold (hopefully). Everything sits in a sealed, clear plastic container, with each lens in a ziploc bag with dessicant packet...

I guess the good news is that it is time to buy more A lenses...any sellers?

OK, there's one smiley.

12-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

you should try growing something vegetable, it would have to grow very well in your conditions if you can grow fungus in 4mths! I've got lenses 25 years old and they are clear as the day I bought them. I have one that's a bit dodgy, but when I bought it 20 odd years ago, it was probably 20 years old already!

Maybe you need to store your lenses in a UV cabinet or something when not out being used.
12-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
Damn Brit

It's much better to use them, if they are not performing the job for which they were made ie taking photographs, they will rot.