Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #16
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I had the 31FA/35DA/77FA, but sold the 31 - The 35 was doing double duty as a macro and D-normal. Kinda like a starting quarterback who's also a 65-yard field-goal kicker - you can't trade that guy.

So I'm 35/77. But then I bought the 43 FA ltd because I saw some blow-me-away images from it and found it at Prodigital2000 for a song. Now it might be my favorite limited... at least until I put the 77 back on.

To summarize: Good luck.

Here is another for the 35/77 combo. Remember, there is no rule that says you have to stay within either DA or FA. Feel free to mix it up. The size and the build with built in hood of the 77 is very similar to the 35. That was a consideration for me. I already had the 77 and chose the 35 over the 43.

12-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I intend to use whichever combo I go with at my light travel kit so size is important to me. I just assumed that the DA's were a lot smaller than the FA's... we'll have to wait and see.
12-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

in terms of physical size, the DA + Hood isn't much smaller than the FA with the built-in retractable hood. the significant difference is in the weight.
12-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

DA35 and FA77 are styled similar

I also have the DA35 and FA77.

I find it remarkable that the 77 and 35 mix quite well regarding weight and dimensions. The 35 is quite big and heavy for a DA-limited. It is not easy to see which is which in the bag.

The 35 and 77 have a similar lens cap and bot similar retractable hoods (love that feature, the M135/3.5 and my Tokina ATX-400 have them too).

The FA77 does have some PF though, but I prefer(red) it over the DA70 for its 1.8 aperture for low light events. According to photozone the 77 is not sharp at the borders wide open, but I do not notice that in real life images.

Last edited by tomtor; 12-11-2008 at 01:19 AM.
12-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Hey Buddha

have/had them all, and at the same time.

DA70 coloring more close to DA35 and DA50-135 than the FA77 is. Both the FA77 and DA70 can be pushed to PF, and when they do it's very similar look. But the FA77 gets to the PF threshold much quicker and with less "pushing", so the DA is a little more stable there. But the FA77 shows more magenta-green CA in contrast areas, especially at more open apertures, especially under available light (from a window).

Under good light outdoors, both are great. Under good light indoors, like studio lighting, both are great, under low light, if there's enough light for the DA70 (i.e. both lenses at 2.8) then the DA70 a bit better in color in the low light.

Coating on the DA70 helps with some of these factors, but also lets a little less light in, so 2.4 more like 2.8 on the 77. But in portraits it's useable at 2.8. Bokeh is slightly different if you pixel-peep, but it is good on both lenses. Bokeh snobs in group A will prefer the DA70 and Bokeh snobs in group B will prefer the FA77. Don't underexpose skintones with the DA70, and portraits will look just as nice with either lens.

That being said, I kept the FA77 and sold the DA70. I liked the build and larger size of the FA77, along with the feel of using the lens. And I figured one day if I ever I had some extra money and was bored, I'd buy a Canon 5DMKII (or III by then) and mount the FA77 on it and take it for a spin and see what I could do with it and look at people's reactions ...

(I said if I was bored and had extra cash falling all around)

oh, and if you like the DA35, no reason to get the FA31 (I have both) You won't get the same coloring and pop with the FA31, and you won't get very close with the FA31 either. FA31 designed to be a wide-angle lens with a short focus throw, as a "normal" ish lens on aps-c it is not as versatile, because of the minimum focusing distance and the situations that you have to be careful of that will yield some CA/PF, and it's a fair amount larger and heavier.
12-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

oh, and if you like the DA35, no reason to get the FA31 (I have both) You won't get the same coloring and pop with the FA31, and you won't get very close with the FA31 either. FA31 designed to be a wide-angle lens with a short focus throw, as a "normal" ish lens on aps-c it is not as versatile, because of the minimum focusing distance and the situations that you have to be careful of that will yield some CA/PF, and it's a fair amount larger and heavier.[/QUOTE]

I love my 31. However, when I bought it, the 35 was not available. If it was, considering the price difference and the reviews, I would likely have purchased the 35 instead. (Would I be as happy as I am with the 35? Who knows.)
Re the DA vs FA question, for me it came down to speed of lens (low light concert and birthday shots of the kids) vs speed of AF (outdoor action shots of the kids swinging, sledding etc). I went with lens speed and couldn't be happier. (Other possible factors that "might" prove of benefit, but had nothing to do with my decision...future full frame, future resale value.)
The beauty is, that there is no bad decision with either line! (Also with the exchange rate, there are some smokin' deals for American purchases with Prodigital.)
Good luck, and I look forward to seeing some pictures, as I've admired those that you have posted in the past.
12-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I guess it's a good problem to have, but this thread highlights how truly hard it is to decide amongst the Pentax primes where we can't own them all (one can dream...).

Alone, in the 30mm range, one could have any of the FA 31, DA 35 or FA 35 and likely be perfectly happy. But you buy the DA or FA 35, and you always wonder what you're missing without the legendary FA 31. Or you buy the FA 31 or FA 35, and wonder about the macro you're missing with the DA 35... And while many of us forego the FA 43 since we may own one of the 31/35's and likely one of the fast 50's, you know you're missing a great lens in the FA 43. And of course, the DA 40 is no slouch.

With the DA 70 and FA 77, as good as the FA 77 likely is, I did a lot of reading and it seemed like the DA 70 was always described very favorably compared to the FA 77. Hence, why I chose it for its lower price, smaller size, and faster autofocus. The DA 70 is an amazing lens. But that FA 77 is always lingering in the back of the mind, just like the FA 31....

12-11-2008, 10:29 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
I guess it's a good problem to have, but this thread highlights how truly hard it is to decide amongst the Pentax primes where we can't own them all (one can dream...).

Alone, in the 30mm range, one could have any of the FA 31, DA 35 or FA 35 and likely be perfectly happy. But you buy the DA or FA 35, and you always wonder what you're missing without the legendary FA 31. Or you buy the FA 31 or FA 35, and wonder about the macro you're missing with the DA 35... And while many of us forego the FA 43 since we may own one of the 31/35's and likely one of the fast 50's, you know you're missing a great lens in the FA 43. And of course, the DA 40 is no slouch.
Very true! Just in that range, LBA can really hit you hard. I have the DA35 and am very happy with it, but I've never stopped lusting after the FA31. And I've been so tempted to pick up a DA40 with a K2000 after seeing how *great* that combo looks. And the FA43 is a fantastic lens, especially in low light. And when the DA*30 is released, the perfect weather-sealed walk around lens ... aargh!
12-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

To me the 35/2 is a better buy than the 31/1.8. It's a kick arse lens, it really is. At f/2 .. BANG it's sharp.

The 70 was just too short for me, the extra 9mm plus the extra stop of light REALLY makes a difference. Either or wouldn't but both of them together do.
12-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Alone, in the 30mm range, one could have any of the FA 31, DA 35 or FA 35 and likely be perfectly happy. But you buy the DA or FA 35, and you always wonder what you're missing without the legendary FA 31. Or you buy the FA 31 or FA 35, and wonder about the macro you're missing with the DA 35...

Ha ha ha !!!

Very well put!!

I currently have the FA 35 and I sometimes wonder about the FA 31... but then I remember the price and I come back straight to earth!!

Pure LBA moments, because honestly, the FA 35 is such a GREAT lens... and only if I did have some extra money i'd buy the 31 LTD, after all, it is considered one of the best lens ever made! So yes, it does make me wonder how could it be better than the FA 35....

(Un)Fortunately, I never had any desire for the DA35 Macro... not sure why... I think is mostly the lower speed...

But hey Pentaxians, dont we have the greatest problems ever or what? for instance, 3 highest quality 30's mm lenses available from $300 up to $900... all of them highly loved by all users.
12-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You know what would really be awesome, if Pentax came out with a K30D that had an super high ISO like 3200 or 6400 that was actually useable!!! Then I can keep the DA lenses wide open and get the speed I need when I am at a concert and get the images that I want. Now that would be fricken awesome...
12-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Images may help:

77 limited.

DA 35 and 31ltd, some talk & images.

DA 35, straight to some images.

FA 31ltd, straight to some images.

Last edited by jsherman999; 12-11-2008 at 12:27 PM.
12-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
You know what would really be awesome, if Pentax came out with a K30D that had an super high ISO like 3200 or 6400 that was actually useable!!!
I think it is just a matter of time, natural tech evolution will bring us there... then you'll be asking for ISO 25600 & 51200....

12-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #29

The FA31 Will Still be Faster

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
You know what would really be awesome, if Pentax came out with a K30D that had an super high ISO like 3200 or 6400 that was actually useable!!! Then I can keep the DA lenses wide open and get the speed I need when I am at a concert and get the images that I want. Now that would be fricken awesome...
Even with high ISO, the FA31 will still be over a stop faster than the DA35. I shoot the FA31 at f1.8 - f2.0 all the time and it is really a performer.
I am sure that the DA35 is a great lens, I am sure that the FA35 is a great lens but I won't give up the speed or the bokeh of the FA31, even though I could buy both of the 35s and have money left over.
Now I really want the FA77 and the FA43!
12-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will jump in with my 2 cents. I don't think there is a definite answers. All are great lens and it really boils down to how you use the lens and the worse thing to kick into the reality is about the money and fund involved.

I chose FA 77mm over DA 70mm for the sole major reason on extra gain on speed. I am well aware of the faster AF speed in 70mm. But my argument is that AF in general is slow in Pentax. I chose faster speed in 77mm and it turns out to be very critical considering Pentax is not the best in terms of noise handling. K20D seems go in the right direction in noise handling in JPG for me but improvement is yet to reach another level for rivalry with competitors.

I feel more confident in going into a night event with the 77mm than the 70mm with only ambient light. If your focus is on using flash as a strobist with Pentax primes, by all means go with the DA and the DA 35mm will definitely serve you well while saving you some money.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-11-2008 at 05:15 PM.