Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well i was thinking of the FA combo for when i go to concerts and stuff so I can shoot at 1/180 and up and still get good quality images w/o noise. If I know me, I will end up getting both sets eventually.

12-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I prefer the FA Limiteds over the DA Limiteds because there's little point of using prime lenses if not for the benefit gained from having a larger maximum aperture.

Secondly the FA Limiteds have better build quality and are Made in Japan whereas the DA Limiteds are Made in Vietnam. :ugh: That said, the only DA Limited I currently use is the DA 21mm simply because there is no FA Limited in this focal length.
12-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I have the DA35LTD and love and and plan on getting the DA70LTD to compliment it but was thinking of that combination of focal lenths would be best served in the realm of the FA's... what are your thoughts.
At one point, I had all four of those. (Sold the DA 70, mostly because I didn't use it, in part to partially fund a 55-300.)

The DA coatings are better; the DA35 lets in richer light than the FA31 does. It does flower-purples like nothing else I have seen, and has an enormous appetite for fine detail.

The FA31 is faster; for taking pictures in dim cloudy winter daylight, or inside (birthday party with no light by the candles on the cake, say) that extra stop is hard to do without. It also has a peculiar quality to it; if you ever want to take a terribly romantic sort of picture in dim evening light, the FA31 is your lens.

There is nothing wrong with the DA70, but I found I just didn't like it much; colour was good, behavior was fine, but it was a slow soulless husk compared to the FA77. (Yes, this is a wildly subjective judgment.)

The FA77 can be forced to fringe, yes, but only by being rash in the bright day. 77x1.5 = 115, a remarkably good length for surreptitious indoor portraits, such as at parties, and it doesn't look like a big lens. It also has a somewhat different but clearly related peculiar quality than the FA31; a lens for mornings and evenings and a spirit of hope.
12-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Graydon Quote
At one point, I had all four of those. (Sold the DA 70, mostly because I didn't use it, in part to partially fund a 55-300.)

The DA coatings are better; the DA35 lets in richer light than the FA31 does. It does flower-purples like nothing else I have seen, and has an enormous appetite for fine detail.

The FA31 is faster; for taking pictures in dim cloudy winter daylight, or inside (birthday party with no light by the candles on the cake, say) that extra stop is hard to do without. It also has a peculiar quality to it; if you ever want to take a terribly romantic sort of picture in dim evening light, the FA31 is your lens.

There is nothing wrong with the DA70, but I found I just didn't like it much; colour was good, behavior was fine, but it was a slow soulless husk compared to the FA77. (Yes, this is a wildly subjective judgment.)

The FA77 can be forced to fringe, yes, but only by being rash in the bright day. 77x1.5 = 115, a remarkably good length for surreptitious indoor portraits, such as at parties, and it doesn't look like a big lens. It also has a somewhat different but clearly related peculiar quality than the FA31; a lens for mornings and evenings and a spirit of hope.

One of the more amusing, interesting (and accurate) portrayals of these lenses I've seen - welcome to the forum!

12-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Secondly the FA Limiteds have better build quality and are Made in Japan whereas the DA Limiteds are Made in Vietnam. :ugh: That said, the only DA Limited I currently use is the DA 21mm simply because there is no FA Limited in this focal length.
Um no, the FA's a a more pleasing to the eye design but the DA's are beautifully built, as good as the FA's IMHO.
12-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Agree totally.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
One of the more amusing, interesting (and accurate) portrayals of these lenses I've seen - welcome to the forum!

12-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I have both the 35 and 77, and frankly am thinking of getting a 31 and 43, relegating the 35 to macro duty. I like the 35ltd sometimes, but find it to be a somewhat inconsistent lens wrt the way it deals with light (and talks to the K20d). That said I did have a 31 for awhile but I think I got a rare bad copy because it just was not a sharp lens.

The 77ltd however...probably my favorite lens. It is a magic portrait lens, and I wish I could get the same vibe in a wider build (hence pondering the 43 and/or 31. My thinking now is to get the 43 for "around town" and think long and hard about the 31. But 77 vs. 70? I'd take the 77 every day. I have briefly shot with the 40ltd and 70ltd and they didn't make me swoon. The 77 does.

12-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
..... (hence pondering the 43 and/or 31. My thinking now is to get the 43 for "around town" and think long and hard about the 31. But 77 vs. 70? I'd take the 77 every day. I have briefly shot with the 40ltd and 70ltd and they didn't make me swoon. The 77 does.

The 43ltd has that 'swoonish' effect like the 77.

But Buddha - you can't go wrong with any of these you're considering. I guess it's more of a "what do I start with" question, huh?

12-11-2008, 11:04 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Budda another factor for you would be quickshift. If you like using quickshift with your other lenses the 77LTD is either autofocus or manual.

I say this as I have the DA40LTD and the FA77LTD. For me the one thing the FA77LTD is lacking is quickshift. Once you get used to it. When I use the FA77LTD I mainly use it manually.

Quality wise DA vs FA I don't think you would be disappointed either way. Build or Image.
12-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I have both the 35 and 77, and frankly am thinking of getting a 31 and 43, relegating the 35 to macro duty. I like the 35ltd sometimes, but find it to be a somewhat inconsistent lens wrt the way it deals with light (and talks to the K20d). That said I did have a 31 for awhile but I think I got a rare bad copy because it just was not a sharp lens.

The 77ltd however...probably my favorite lens. It is a magic portrait lens, and I wish I could get the same vibe in a wider build (hence pondering the 43 and/or 31. My thinking now is to get the 43 for "around town" and think long and hard about the 31. But 77 vs. 70? I'd take the 77 every day. I have briefly shot with the 40ltd and 70ltd and they didn't make me swoon. The 77 does.
Have you tried the 35/2?
12-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #41
Forum Member

Dont forget DA70 images can be found here - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42506-who-has-70mm-ltd.html

I think its interesting how ben mentions the rendering of the da70 to remind him of old leica's.

12-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #42
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Thank you!

And thank you.
12-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #43
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
It is hard to beat Da 35 ltd macro. Ditch Fa 31 ltd.

Da 70 is cheaper and smaller. AF faster than Fa 77 ltd. Go for Da 70 ltd.
I'm starting by saying I've decided to not buy anything until I know I'll keep my job and my investments come back; I was planning on getting "some of these" by year end a few months ago. But with that said, a query in this regard....

Ditch FA 31 ltd?

I want the 70 for size, but desire the 77 for speed and the 'special' rendering; butI can sit on that decision. I decided I wanted a good wide prime more. So for that 31 vs 35 when I saw photos taken of the same subject, I decided it would be the 31 for me. That lens has thus become the one I am most deliberating and self-justifying, due to cost.

So why do you say "ditch it". Is it a cost alone basis, or cost/reward basis compared to the 35, or something else? Thanx for the added detail (if you see this query and reply. )
12-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #44
Veteran Member

One last time, try the 35/2 instead of the 35DA and 31 ltd. IMHO it's an absolute bargain.
12-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #45
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
One last time, try the 35/2 instead of the 35DA and 31 ltd. IMHO it's an absolute bargain.
That may certainly be true. If that's pointed towards me tho, the mind's made up as to "which" is the one I want in the comparo for very subjective reasons. It's not just a "money thing" at least for me; or it's not "I'll take what I can get for an $x.yz price or under". I am aware the dollar/reward curve is a hyperbolic function.

Last edited by m8o; 12-12-2008 at 02:16 PM.