Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #61
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Look at those images with the 31mm...look at that tree and you can tell each leave apart
...that tree was what did it for me too.

12-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #62
Veteran Member

...the 35 is no match for this... Just my opinion, of course....
The 35 is easily a match for this...just my opinion
12-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
The 35 is easily a match for this...just my opinion
That's my observation too, and these are just web samples anyway. I'm sure the FA31 slightly beats the DA35 in the corners though.
12-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #64
m8o
Veteran Member

All this talk was too much for me. I went to Adorama today, with every intention of spending money that needed to go towards one of my tax bills on something I didn't really need. Put a 31/1.8 ltd on my K10D. It was much smaller than I thought it would be (I wish it was silver tho). It was a fantastic looking piece, and focus ring felt great.

Using available light as I want to use this lens, I was having a lot of trouble getting an in-focus image between f/1.8 - 2.8; by f/2.8 it would have to be sharp. Got some close, none where they should be. After a while I turned to a bright spot on the parquet floor @ a 45 degree angle. Using the wood grain and floor slats I discovered my body was back-focusing. :ugh: Having had serious damage then repair done by pentax service I'm more likely to believe I need a new body, or adjustment to what I have, then blame it on the lens. Well, I needed that to snap me to my senses and am thankful that it happened.

Last edited by m8o; 12-14-2008 at 08:58 PM.
12-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
All this talk was too much for me. I went to Adorama today, with every intention of spending money that needed to go towards one of my tax bills on something I didn't really need. Put a 31/1.8 ltd on my K10D. It was much smaller than I thought it would be (I wish it was silver tho). It was a fantastic looking piece, and focus ring felt great.

Using available light as I want to use this lens, I was having a lot of trouble getting an in-focus image between f/1.8 - 2.8; by f/2.8 it would have to be sharp. Got some close, none where they should be. After a while I turned to a bright spot on the parquet floor @ a 45 degree angle. Using the wood grain and floor slats I discovered my body was back-focusing. :ugh: Having had serious damage then repair done by pentax service I'm more likely to believe I need a new body, or adjustment to what I have, then blame it on the lens. Well, I needed that to snap me to my senses and am thankful that it happened.

Sounds like that money needs to go towards the $699 K20D!
12-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote

I did the russian debug mode a few weeks back as the 43 ltd wasn't up to par, now after adjustment of +110 (somewhat tricky), it is tack sharp in the center even at 1.9. You need the debug mode for the K10D.

Now, i mark the correctikon needed for each lens on the lens cap, so when any lens is mounted, I just dial in the appropriate correction. LOVE IT.

But, it may exacerbate your LBA, which seems to be out of control
12-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #67
ogl
Pentaxian

I don't like DA35 at all. As for me it's the worst limited ever made.
But it's one of the best macro lens.
12-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Da 70 is cheaper and smaller. AF faster than Fa 77 ltd. Go for Da 70 ltd.
Since the sizes are similar, this is not a make or break point. In fact, I find the FA lenses to be a more comfortable size, while still being small for their quality. In terms of price I got an FA77 for not much more than a DA70. But you are forgetting the most important factor -- the FA77 is a stop faster. And the extra reach is very nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
So I'm 35/77. But then I bought the 43 FA ltd because I saw some blow-me-away images from it and found it at Prodigital2000 for a song. Now it might be my favorite limited... at least until I put the 77 back on.

To summarize: Good luck.
Good summary. And I also have the 35/43/77 Limited combo. Great minds?

12-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #69
Veteran Member

and now, some samples

Capsule by the FA77, a lens for investigation (one of my nice microphones)

Green Blade World by the DA35, a lens for introspection (my nice garden)

Colour? by the FA43, a lens for three dimensions (my more than nice wife)

12-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #70
Veteran Member

that would be my current prime lineup - 35/43/77ltds. The 43 was added this weekend, and so far I'm very impressed, especially using it for portraits. Makes it hard to decide between the 43 and 77 for that task. Still wish there was about a 25mm FA ltd. I don't care the the 21mm - too slow.
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't like DA35 at all. As for me it's the worst limited ever made.
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I don't care the the 21mm - too slow.
<sniff> <sniff> No love for my two favorite lenses :P
12-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
<sniff> <sniff> No love for my two favorite lenses :P
I have and like my 35ltd, but I do have some off days with it. Haven't figure out why.

The 21...I dunno. I tested on in the store and it just didn't pop for me. I will admit that I haven't shot extensively with one though.

And besides, do you really want love all over your lenses? I like to keep mine clean, but ymmv
12-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to own 2 different versions of 77 (silver with old coating and black with latest coating) as well as 31 (black with oldest coating). Now I own a DA 35/2.8

I do not think there is a direct comparison base for 31 and 35. The 31 is made for general use and 35 for macro use. That means that 31 is much easier for environmental portraiture and landscapes than the 35 is... The 35 has beautiful bokeh but it does not apply it so gradually as 31 does. Also the 35 one has many more stages before infinity and its sharpness is so intense that sometimes I am not so sure it complements the subject... One thing that impressed me about 35 is that so far, I never saw even the slightest appearance of PF or any other CA!!!

About the 77 now, the only thing I can say is that it is one of the greatest lenses I ever used... Beautiful, creamy bokeh, sweet sharpness even at 1.8 and great for portraits...

As i said I have not used 70 so I do not have any opinion on it. But the 31 is by far the best lens I ever used.

Last edited by celetron; 12-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.
12-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #74
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by celetron Quote
I used to own 2 different versions of 77 (silver with old coating and black with latest coating) as well as 31 (black with oldest coating). I now own a DA 35/2.8

celetron, can you kindly show me how you define the versions of the 77 ?? is it on the serial number or other ways?
12-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #75
m8o
Veteran Member

I did the russian debug mode a few weeks back as the 43 ltd wasn't up to par, now after adjustment of +110 (somewhat tricky), it is tack sharp in the center even at 1.9. You need the debug mode for the K10D.
Now, i mark the correctikon needed for each lens on the lens cap, so when any lens is mounted, I just dial in the appropriate correction. LOVE IT.
But, it may exacerbate your LBA, which seems to be out of control
Indeed, the LBA is out of control. Wife agrees (and she now knows what LBA means). A quick/short OT branch. I was hoping I'd never need to use that so never read into that. Two questions (but I'll research myself too), 1) do you have to use an older firmware revision to use that or can you use the latest? 2) do you lose that setting when you turn the camera off, requiring it to be reset each time you turn it on?
thanx much,
-steve