Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 09:21 AM   #61
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Look at those images with the 31mm...look at that tree and you can tell each leave apart
...that tree was what did it for me too.

12-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #62
Veteran Member
gnaztee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cornelius, OR
Posts: 753
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
...the 35 is no match for this... Just my opinion, of course....
The 35 is easily a match for this...just my opinion
12-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #63
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 379
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
The 35 is easily a match for this...just my opinion
That's my observation too, and these are just web samples anyway. I'm sure the FA31 slightly beats the DA35 in the corners though.
12-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #64
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
All this talk was too much for me. I went to Adorama today, with every intention of spending money that needed to go towards one of my tax bills on something I didn't really need. Put a 31/1.8 ltd on my K10D. It was much smaller than I thought it would be (I wish it was silver tho). It was a fantastic looking piece, and focus ring felt great.

Using available light as I want to use this lens, I was having a lot of trouble getting an in-focus image between f/1.8 - 2.8; by f/2.8 it would have to be sharp. Got some close, none where they should be. After a while I turned to a bright spot on the parquet floor @ a 45 degree angle. Using the wood grain and floor slats I discovered my body was back-focusing. :ugh: Having had serious damage then repair done by pentax service I'm more likely to believe I need a new body, or adjustment to what I have, then blame it on the lens. Well, I needed that to snap me to my senses and am thankful that it happened.


Last edited by m8o; 12-14-2008 at 08:58 PM.
12-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
All this talk was too much for me. I went to Adorama today, with every intention of spending money that needed to go towards one of my tax bills on something I didn't really need. Put a 31/1.8 ltd on my K10D. It was much smaller than I thought it would be (I wish it was silver tho). It was a fantastic looking piece, and focus ring felt great.

Using available light as I want to use this lens, I was having a lot of trouble getting an in-focus image between f/1.8 - 2.8; by f/2.8 it would have to be sharp. Got some close, none where they should be. After a while I turned to a bright spot on the parquet floor @ a 45 degree angle. Using the wood grain and floor slats I discovered my body was back-focusing. :ugh: Having had serious damage then repair done by pentax service I'm more likely to believe I need a new body, or adjustment to what I have, then blame it on the lens. Well, I needed that to snap me to my senses and am thankful that it happened.

Sounds like that money needs to go towards the $699 K20D!
12-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #66
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,960
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
All this talk was too much for me. I went to Adorama today, with every intention of spending money that needed to go towards one of my tax bills on something I didn't really need. Put a 31/1.8 ltd on my K10D. It was much smaller than I thought it would be (I wish it was silver tho). It was a fantastic looking piece, and focus ring felt great.

Using available light as I want to use this lens, I was having a lot of trouble getting an in-focus image between f/1.8 - 2.8; by f/2.8 it would have to be sharp. Got some close, none where they should be. After a while I turned to a bright spot on the parquet floor @ a 45 degree angle. Using the wood grain and floor slats I discovered my body was back-focusing. :ugh: Having had serious damage then repair done by pentax service I'm more likely to believe I need a new body, or adjustment to what I have, then blame it on the lens. Well, I needed that to snap me to my senses and am thankful that it happened.
I did the russian debug mode a few weeks back as the 43 ltd wasn't up to par, now after adjustment of +110 (somewhat tricky), it is tack sharp in the center even at 1.9. You need the debug mode for the K10D.

Now, i mark the correctikon needed for each lens on the lens cap, so when any lens is mounted, I just dial in the appropriate correction. LOVE IT.

But, it may exacerbate your LBA, which seems to be out of control
12-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #67
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
I don't like DA35 at all. As for me it's the worst limited ever made.
But it's one of the best macro lens.
12-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #68
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Da 70 is cheaper and smaller. AF faster than Fa 77 ltd. Go for Da 70 ltd.
Since the sizes are similar, this is not a make or break point. In fact, I find the FA lenses to be a more comfortable size, while still being small for their quality. In terms of price I got an FA77 for not much more than a DA70. But you are forgetting the most important factor -- the FA77 is a stop faster. And the extra reach is very nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
So I'm 35/77. But then I bought the 43 FA ltd because I saw some blow-me-away images from it and found it at Prodigital2000 for a song. Now it might be my favorite limited... at least until I put the 77 back on.

To summarize: Good luck.
Good summary. And I also have the 35/43/77 Limited combo. Great minds?

12-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #69
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
and now, some samples

Capsule by the FA77, a lens for investigation (one of my nice microphones)




Green Blade World by the DA35, a lens for introspection (my nice garden)



Colour? by the FA43, a lens for three dimensions (my more than nice wife)

12-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #70
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
that would be my current prime lineup - 35/43/77ltds. The 43 was added this weekend, and so far I'm very impressed, especially using it for portraits. Makes it hard to decide between the 43 and 77 for that task. Still wish there was about a 25mm FA ltd. I don't care the the 21mm - too slow.
12-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #71
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 379
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't like DA35 at all. As for me it's the worst limited ever made.
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I don't care the the 21mm - too slow.
<sniff> <sniff> No love for my two favorite lenses :P
12-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #72
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
<sniff> <sniff> No love for my two favorite lenses :P
I have and like my 35ltd, but I do have some off days with it. Haven't figure out why.

The 21...I dunno. I tested on in the store and it just didn't pop for me. I will admit that I haven't shot extensively with one though.

And besides, do you really want love all over your lenses? I like to keep mine clean, but ymmv
12-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #73
Veteran Member
celetron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Greece
Photos: Albums
Posts: 302
I used to own 2 different versions of 77 (silver with old coating and black with latest coating) as well as 31 (black with oldest coating). Now I own a DA 35/2.8

I do not think there is a direct comparison base for 31 and 35. The 31 is made for general use and 35 for macro use. That means that 31 is much easier for environmental portraiture and landscapes than the 35 is... The 35 has beautiful bokeh but it does not apply it so gradually as 31 does. Also the 35 one has many more stages before infinity and its sharpness is so intense that sometimes I am not so sure it complements the subject... One thing that impressed me about 35 is that so far, I never saw even the slightest appearance of PF or any other CA!!!

About the 77 now, the only thing I can say is that it is one of the greatest lenses I ever used... Beautiful, creamy bokeh, sweet sharpness even at 1.8 and great for portraits...


As i said I have not used 70 so I do not have any opinion on it. But the 31 is by far the best lens I ever used.

Last edited by celetron; 12-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.
12-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #74
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 92
QuoteOriginally posted by celetron Quote
I used to own 2 different versions of 77 (silver with old coating and black with latest coating) as well as 31 (black with oldest coating). I now own a DA 35/2.8

.
celetron, can you kindly show me how you define the versions of the 77 ?? is it on the serial number or other ways?
12-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #75
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I did the russian debug mode a few weeks back as the 43 ltd wasn't up to par, now after adjustment of +110 (somewhat tricky), it is tack sharp in the center even at 1.9. You need the debug mode for the K10D.
Now, i mark the correctikon needed for each lens on the lens cap, so when any lens is mounted, I just dial in the appropriate correction. LOVE IT.
But, it may exacerbate your LBA, which seems to be out of control
Indeed, the LBA is out of control. Wife agrees (and she now knows what LBA means). A quick/short OT branch. I was hoping I'd never need to use that so never read into that. Two questions (but I'll research myself too), 1) do you have to use an older firmware revision to use that or can you use the latest? 2) do you lose that setting when you turn the camera off, requiring it to be reset each time you turn it on?
thanx much,
-steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the 77ltd doesn't suck either nostatic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-23-2008 02:40 AM
DA35, FA31 resolution comparison, samples. thePiRaTE!! Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 37 04-08-2008 11:43 AM
why i love the 77ltd nostatic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 03-27-2008 09:38 PM
A few with the new to me 77LTD :) vievetrick Post Your Photos! 8 11-13-2007 07:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top