Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #1
Closed Account

Are used lens really increasing in price now?

Just curious if used lens, in general, really seem to be increasing in price lately.

Or is it just me following this lens, which has seemed to sky rocket to $500+ USD in the past few months on the auction site: SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database Was hovering just above $300

Inflation?

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-18-2022 at 08:50 AM.
01-18-2022, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Locally, many people are in isolation and are discovering new hobbies to pass the time.
Many have taken to developing at home too.
All film equipment of exceptional quality have exploded with high prices.
Many thrift stores have also caught on, and will over price everything despite quality.
Talking with the people at camera stores, they are seeing a hard time trying to keep colour film in full stock..

I think the prices are increasing as demand is also increasing.
01-18-2022, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should be looking at sold prices on sites like ebay to gauge where prices actually are. The last three that were sold on ebay were for approximately $192 (November); $430 (December); and $330 (January).

I can see that prices "asked for" from sellers in Japan are at the $500 level, but are not selling.....yet
01-18-2022, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know it sounds wishy-washy, but some prices have gone up, others have gone down, over the last couple of years.

It's possible that many camera gear sellers on the big auction site have adjusted their prices relative to the Japanese sellers, who seem to have pretty consistent pricing across multiple accounts.

Currently, one can purchase an A* 300/4 for under $500.

01-18-2022, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

I recently purchased one from eBay on Dec. 16 for $288. Had to buy a $15 front cap, so figure about $300 total. It was from a US seller in SC.
01-18-2022, 11:48 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Mirrorless cameras with manual focus aids in the viewfinder such as focus peaking or split image , plus lens mount adapters, now enlarge the market for vintage Pentax lenses. A number of Sony FE and other MILC users buy Takumar lenses because they like the look that those vintage lenses produce. The shorter flange distance of mirrorless cameras changes the competitive forces in the camera market, not to the advantage of DSLR tech, it's a significant change.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-18-2022 at 11:54 AM.
01-18-2022, 12:32 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

a colleague last year left the Pentax K1 and moved on to Fuji and I managed to buy a AF540FGZ ll 2 years old from him for approx. 230 euros, without the original packaging, another acquaintance from Pentax K1 switched to Sony
and last week sold me a DFA28-105 / 3.5-5,6, age approx. 3.5 years for approx. 300 euros, in the original packaging, both purchased elements super preserved and used for personal needs, I have been selling AF360FGZ locally for months in the original packaging + diffuser all in very good condition for approx. 120 euros and no one even calls to ask for information

but yes, about 7 years ago I bought a Pentax F28 / 2.8 locally for about 80 euros, new, brought by a returnee from America and forgot in the closet for the next 20 years (he used only F35-105 / 3.5-4.5+ F 50/1,7) , from ebay from Japan 4 years ago bought in great condition Pentax ,silver, FA 80-320 / 4.5-5.6 for 90 euros, bought 8 years ago F35-70 / 3,5-4,5 for 30 euros and I sold it for that much, now it is sold locally for 80 euros, 10 years ago on ebay from America I bought F28-80 / 3,5- 4.5 (not Takumar) for $ 50 I can now buy it locally for $ 65

so everything is relative,

mostly with me the Pentax market is very weak with a small offer as well as with a small number of Pentax users, when they see me using Pentax they act either with awe or with contempt, but I don't care about any of them I enjoy taking photos with Pentax and write comments here on the forum

Last edited by mbukal; 01-18-2022 at 01:33 PM.
01-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
......when they see me using Pentax they act either with awe or with contempt, but I don't care about any of them I enjoy taking photos with Pentax and write comments here on the forum
That's what it's all about........enjoy taking pictures, no matter what equipment!

(Ok, a slight advantage when shooting with Pentax......)
01-19-2022, 12:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Just curious if used lens, in general, really seem to be increasing in price lately.

Or is it just me following this lens, which has seemed to sky rocket to $500+ USD in the past few months on the auction site: SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database Was hovering just above $300

Inflation?
That lens has always been highly prized, so it’s no surprise you’ll have to pay a lot for one. Keep looking, you may get lucky.
01-19-2022, 03:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote

Inflation?
I think there is a rule of the market as well that states, "it was always cheaper when you weren't looking to buy one"...

But yeah, it seems to me the prices for "upgrade" lenses have gone up a bit.

-Eric
01-19-2022, 03:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sellers are complaining on here that the market is weak right now. You can ask any price you want for your lens, but whether people are willing to pay it is another story.
01-19-2022, 05:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should also be standard practice to check (on eBay at least) how much the lens you’re after has sold for recently. Just put a filter on your search for Sold Items and you’ll get a list. Some sellers ask ridiculous prices but how much people have actually paid is a matter of record.
01-19-2022, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #13
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
a colleague last year left the Pentax K1 and moved on to Fuji and I managed to buy a AF540FGZ ll 2 years old from him for approx. 230 euros, without the original packaging, another acquaintance from Pentax K1 switched to Sony
and last week sold me a DFA28-105 / 3.5-5,6, age approx. 3.5 years for approx. 300 euros, in the original packaging, both purchased elements super preserved and used for personal needs, I have been selling AF360FGZ locally for months in the original packaging + diffuser all in very good condition for approx. 120 euros and no one even calls to ask for information

but yes, about 7 years ago I bought a Pentax F28 / 2.8 locally for about 80 euros, new, brought by a returnee from America and forgot in the closet for the next 20 years (he used only F35-105 / 3.5-4.5+ F 50/1,7) , from ebay from Japan 4 years ago bought in great condition Pentax ,silver, FA 80-320 / 4.5-5.6 for 90 euros, bought 8 years ago F35-70 / 3,5-4,5 for 30 euros and I sold it for that much, now it is sold locally for 80 euros, 10 years ago on ebay from America I bought F28-80 / 3,5- 4.5 (not Takumar) for $ 50 I can now buy it locally for $ 65

so everything is relative,

mostly with me the Pentax market is very weak with a small offer as well as with a small number of Pentax users, when they see me using Pentax they act either with awe or with contempt, but I don't care about any of them I enjoy taking photos with Pentax and write comments here on the forum
The AF540FGZ II on the auction site is now offered at around $500+ USD....

---------- Post added 01-19-22 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I know it sounds wishy-washy, but some prices have gone up, others have gone down, over the last couple of years.

It's possible that many camera gear sellers on the big auction site have adjusted their prices relative to the Japanese sellers, who seem to have pretty consistent pricing across multiple accounts.

Currently, one can purchase an A* 300/4 for under $500.

Well, there is one for $308 but the end of lens looks bent from a drop.

$440 + $30 shipping (from Japan) looks to be the lowest prices after that....

---------- Post added 01-19-22 at 05:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You should be looking at sold prices on sites like ebay to gauge where prices actually are. The last three that were sold on ebay were for approximately $192 (November); $430 (December); and $330 (January).

I can see that prices "asked for" from sellers in Japan are at the $500 level, but are not selling.....yet

I will start looking at the "sold" prices. Just learned how to do it under "advanced" search.... Thanks...
01-19-2022, 07:49 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

645 lenses went up significantly after the Z release, but largely have remained stable with maybe a slight increase over the last few years (although certain ones have always been and remain high). I can't speak to the FF and APSC lenses so much as I have all I need/going to buy, so I never check those prices now.
01-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Last year I did buy this M* 300mm for 500 € from a camera shop having also quality second hand photo gear. The prices in such a shop are usually a bit higher than the similar ebay etc offerings, on the other hand they come wit a few months of warranty . Maybe I paid a bit higher price but the lens came in perfect, barely used condition with original casing. I expect a price point in Europe starting indeed from 400 €..., I noted indeed a few such offerings.

It is an excellent lens on my K3II and especially compact for such a long tele, also at f4 in low light :
in terms of "performance/ease_of_use" it situates between my some years old new bought 55-300 (disadvantage f5.8@300mm, focus hunting in dim light) and my150-450mm (excellen but quite heavy if walking a nature trail...).
Remains a fully manual lens of course, but otherwise it would sell at twice the price ( or more).