Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2022, 04:45 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Too many lenses, it's annoying

I don't know how this happened, but suddenly I woke up from what looked like a Pentax dream, and asked myself: how did it happen? how can I now have 9 Pentax lenses, when I bought the K1 I swore I would only have 3 lenses?
So now I have 9 lenses but there is no way I can use them all, it's just too much to carry around. But at the same time if I sell some lenses to lighten up my kit, I'll feel like I'll not be able to cover all my use cases.
If I sell my DFA15-450, I won't have anything to cover wildlife/safari/distant landscape situations, so I have to keep it.
If I sell my DFA70-200 2.8, I don't have something equivalent for nice people portrait shots and indoor sports, so I have to keep it.
etc... You hooked me Pentax marketing, it's annoying to think about it.

01-19-2022, 05:17 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Waits for Pepperberry farm to express incredulity at the concept of too many lenses.....
01-19-2022, 05:55 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Only 9 lenses? Those were the days...

I think I bought more than 9 lenses last year!

Last edited by Fogel70; 01-19-2022 at 08:25 AM.
01-19-2022, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #4

you can never have too many . As long as you enjoy using them and the nuances that each provides. That said I have too many

01-19-2022, 06:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s how I feel about my Sony! I have three zooms, two primes, and two add-on conversion lenses to make the 28 a 21 or 16. Seven lenses essentially? How the? The Pentax count is more than four times that. I just sold off a bunch of m43 gear and I expect I’ll trim my Pentax lenses a little as well and possibly rearrange the gear I have in Sony as well.

Lenses are just so fun. It’s too easy to buy and hard to sell. This is particularly true with the inexpensive ones. So gear creep is a problem…
01-19-2022, 06:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't know how this happened, but suddenly I woke up from what looked like a Pentax dream, and asked myself: how did it happen? how can I now have 9 Pentax lenses, when I bought the K1 I swore I would only have 3 lenses?
So now I have 9 lenses but there is no way I can use them all, it's just too much to carry around. But at the same time if I sell some lenses to lighten up my kit, I'll feel like I'll not be able to cover all my use cases.
If I sell my DFA15-450, I won't have anything to cover wildlife/safari/distant landscape situations, so I have to keep it.
If I sell my DFA70-200 2.8, I don't have something equivalent for nice people portrait shots and indoor sports, so I have to keep it.
Hummm, Nine Lenses. So I guess sixteen is overkill?
01-19-2022, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

That's your problem. You don't carry them all around - say what use is the 150-450 when you're doing street shooting? Or the DFA* 50 when you're specifically out to shoot birds in flight?

That's the beauty of ILC systems, you take what you need/want for the specific outing. Personally I've settled on a modest collection of 6 lenses to cover 99.9% of my use cases, but I'm never carrying them all around at once.

01-19-2022, 06:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And not a single Limited? Not enough obviously.Why the duplication in the 70-2x0 range?
01-19-2022, 06:55 AM - 5 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

What's with these threads lately about too many lenses? I don't quite understand that concept...

I will however agree that some here might have too many systems....
01-19-2022, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem is you'll never get what you paid for the lens in the first place even if you bought it second hand, so you hang onto it just in case it might come in handy rather than suffer the financial loss.

Stupid thinking I suppose but there you are - caught - they are of course beautiful objects, most of them anyway and they do look great on the shelf(s) and quite impressive for friends and relations who have no idea whether they are good, bad or indifferent.
01-19-2022, 07:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I can remember "back in my film days" being considered to be very well equipped 'cos I had a 28-80mm, a 75-250mm, a 2x converter AND a 90mm macro in my bag! … if they could see me now
01-19-2022, 07:27 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

...when I bought the K1 I swore I would only have 3 lenses?
This is the problem. Why on earth would one swear such thing? Now admit to yourself that it was just an other silly new year resolution that was never really ment to be kept and enjoy your lenses
01-19-2022, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These threads about 'too many lenses' have me thinking -- maybe I should sell some of my less-used lenses and buy one really, really good one.

Hmmm, let's take stock. Which ones to sell?

• smc Pentax 50 f/1.2? Nope, it's my wide-aperture baby, it's pristine, and I bought it for a steal.
  • SMC Pentax 30/2.8? Nah, it's my poor-man's 31.
  • Pentax-F 35-70? Are you kidding me? That little thing punches above its weight.
  • DA 50-200 WR? Seldom used, not the best IQ, but lightweight and good for trips.
  • S-M-C Takumar 85/1.8? Don't think so. It's got the sweetest focus action of all my lenses. Sublime.

and so it goes.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-19-2022 at 07:51 AM.
01-19-2022, 07:50 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
The problem is you'll never get what you paid for the lens in the first place even if you bought it second hand, so you hang onto it just in case it might come in handy rather than suffer the financial loss.
If you are patient as both a buyer and seller you can usually avoid taking the loss.

I also consider ownership of any lens an education of sorts, and that has value, too.
01-19-2022, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

It's odd you think you have too many.

24 lenses here, 15 for 645, 9 FF, plus 2 teleconverters---and the 645 to K adapter. What I don't understand is this thing about carrying them all at once. What? Why would you do that? One should select the lens(es) for the tasks at hand.