Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2022, 02:30 PM   #1
dewolf

pentax or kenko TC

I have seen many posts with kenko teleconverters, unknown is the model and if they are equal or better than the Pentax 1.4 TC
The Pentax TC is on sale right now for $396, would it be the better ?

credit card in hand lol

Thanks

01-19-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is, I believe, the Kenko to get, and is also available in other brands (there may or may not be slight differences). "PZAF" is a good search term to help find one.
The Pentax offers AW, and also will report the corrected focal length to the camera for SR and EXIF data.

I know that stuff, and hope it helps, but I've not used the Pentax so can't comment how they compare.
01-19-2022, 02:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax is the better teleconverter. It also teles the camera the correct aperture info.
Having said that, you don't say what lenses you wish to use it with, or which format you are shooting APS-C or FF. The Pentax is a APS-C converter, the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x SHQ is a FF converter.
The Kenko is compatatble with some SDM lenses, not all.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/kenko-pz-af-1-5x-teleplus-shq-teleconverter.html
01-19-2022, 02:47 PM   #4
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
The Pentax is the better teleconverter. It also teles the camera the correct aperture info.
Having said that, you don't say what lenses you wish to use it with, or which format you are shooting APS-C or FF. The Pentax is a APS-C converter, the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x SHQ is a FF converter.
The Kenko is compatatble with some SDM lenses, not all.

Kenko (?Promaster et al..) AF/Pz-AF 1.4x/1.5x Teleplus.... Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
lens Da* 300mm F4 sdm apc body KP

01-19-2022, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
For that combo, I would recommend the Pentax.
01-19-2022, 03:08 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's the combo I use most often, with the Pentax DA 1.4, I have a KP dedicated to that. Sometimes will use it with the 55-300 PLM and occasionally Tamron macro 90. I would say it is excellent, only hindered by my skills or lack thereof.

Some recent examples, all cropped

01-19-2022, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The Kenko is good, I have both the 1.5x and the 2x, both compatible with all my lenses, but, as noted above, the camera doesn't know it's there, so the Shake Reduction is non-optimal and the EXIF data is incorrect/incomplete.
If you've got the budget, the Pentax is probably the better option … if you're a little unsure and can find a Kenko at a sensible price, try it, it'll resell with no problem if you don't pay too much for it

01-19-2022, 06:54 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for the HD Pentax TC1.4x, with a 300 m lens.
I use a lot my FA*300mm f4.5 with HD Pentax TC1.4x and I love it. The IQ is superb and the reach is great.
My 5 cents, hoping that it may help.
01-19-2022, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #9
dewolf

We'll have to all the post and of course reading the reviews on everything and the final solution was considering that the Pentax TC is also weather sealed and I live in Florida. Weather here changes every 5 minutes, especially when you're not looking and I have wowed and been oogled by so many other photographers who were hiding underneath the shed while I was out in the rain getting pictures. So you know what? I'm getting the TC from Pentax along with the DA star 300 mm F4 prime because I used it before in the past and if it hadn't have slid off the SUV I would still be using it now so I will have a new TC, a new lens and a virtually brand new camera. The KP which I purchased from one of our online sellers and I will be able to catch the end of the nesting season at the rookery. Now my first 300 did not have the best quality. It was the same lens but it just wasn't a good copy. I sent it back. I got an excellent copy and I hope I don't have to send this one back. And I also purchased the drop and spill two-year plan and two years I won't be here so it won't matter lol and my roommates loaning me all the money to do this so you'll be able to sell the gear to get his money back lol. Everything has to have a plan:-) thank you all for your input and the images. I appreciate it and I think that the the weather ceiling for me was the clincher
01-19-2022, 07:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So you know what? I'm getting the TC from Pentax along with the DA star 300 mm
Sounds like the right decision to me. I own the Kenko, Tamron and Pentax TC's and optically I honestly can't really tell the difference but, as well as the weather sealing, the Pentax is available NOW, new with warranty.
01-19-2022, 07:52 PM   #11
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Sounds like the right decision to me. I own the Kenko, Tamron and Pentax TC's and optically I honestly can't really tell the difference but, as well as the weather sealing, the Pentax is available NOW, new with warranty.
Seems Florida now charges tax on anything bought anywhere else by a Florida resident. Oi Vey
However Adorama is back ordered on the TC which B&H has in stock, and Adorama has less tax, I don't know how, and they also have 1 day ship and a drop/spill for 2 years rather than 3.
so I save a very small amount I guess. But, that being said, B&H has never let me down ever. I could bargain with B&H like I did last time, get free overnight shipping lol
They are a very agreeable bunch of folks and almost always willing to go out of their way to make it happen.

Was not there something about purchasing through the forum so that they got points for the sale ? if so someone let me know how.
Thanks all
01-19-2022, 11:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Was not there something about purchasing through the forum so that they got points for the sale ? if so someone let me know how.
Thanks all
Click on Buy it at B&H on the DA Teleconverter Review Page and that should do it.

I will say that I have both the Pentax DA 1.4x and the Kenko 1.5x PZAF TCs. While the Pentax has a slightly better IQ than the Kenko, I don't think it is 3-4 times better as the price reflects. However, the Pentax has several other advantages capably outlined above by others that add significant value. Taken as a whole, the Pentax is probably the best solution, but on a budget and WR not being in the criteria, the Kenko will save money as well as be slightly less useful (shake reduction, lens info communication, etc).
01-21-2022, 08:56 PM   #13
dewolf

Well the new 300mm F4 and the 1.4x Pentax TC are on the way. I had planned on ordering through the link here but I ended up in Hospital again for about 7 hours.
I asked my room mate to purchase it so I didn't miss out on the sale price of the TC which was down to $389.00
Free 2 business day shipping was also cool.
Thinking about the Rookery with the broken lens Sunday if the weather is good as we have a cold front coming in. I do not like shooting in grey skies or cold rain with wind (another reason to buy Pentax ) lol.

Thanks to all for your input Gona post the last pic of the K3, and 1 or 2 from the K5IIs, and a few from the KP with the damaged lens.