Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
No doubt an upgraded sensor would further enhance its abilities, and similarly for the AF, but it isn’t a wildlife or sports lens and the existing camera body/lens combination produces some impressive photos.
At the moment, every time I look at Z7II images or A7RIV images, I get the feeling that image quality is superior to the Pentax K1. The K-1 image quality is good, but it's K-5 noise level vs ISO, noise already visible at ISO200 and ISO400 (full size). K3III image quality is state of the art, very slick, immediately visible in images, so the K3III is almost a better camera than the K1 overall, because IQ is about the same but K3III is a lot faster. I can imagine K3 III sensor tech x 1.5 larger, would make the D-FA lenses shine even more.

01-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
At the moment, every time I look at Z7II images or A7RIV images, I get the feeling that image quality is superior to the Pentax K1. The K-1 image quality is good, but it's K-5 noise level vs ISO, noise already visible at ISO200 and ISO400 (full size). K3III image quality is state of the art, very slick, immediately visible in images, so the K3III is almost a better camera than the K1 overall, because IQ is about the same but K3III is a lot faster. I can imagine K3 III sensor tech x 1.5 larger, would make the D-FA lenses shine even more.
I'm curious about the Z7 II vs K-1. Other than capturing a bit more detail, what makes the Z7 II have superior image quality? ISO performance between the two cameras seems pretty similar (according to DPR comparison), but does the Z7 II have more dynamic range, less false color or something?
01-20-2022, 08:52 AM - 11 Likes   #18
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When Pentax makes lenses before new camera, they complain for lack of camera. If Pentax makes camera first, they complain about lack of lenses. Pentax just can't win
01-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
When Pentax makes lenses before new camera, they complain for lack of camera. If Pentax makes camera first, they complain about lack of lenses. Pentax just can't win
Yeah,

Same old thing for everything...

I think that Pentax has made a long run making premium(many seems to not be happy about that either, althou it is needed, but 'they'(me included) can't afford -> bad thing) lenses to get things up to date and they have done excellent work so far with new gen. And we want more! Also that new K-1

01-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Pentax could "win" this battle by having faster product cycles.

Of course, it's possible they lose the war this way.
01-20-2022, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Good thing the reviewer didn't randomly pick spot metering and complain about inaccurate metering...
01-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Other than capturing a bit more detail, what makes the Z7 II have superior image quality?
The picture out of Z7II just look amazing, and especially super smooth even when not at base ISO. I'm been looking at many Nikon images, they really shine. Ithink it comes from BSI + dual gain (1 stop gain at higher ISOs + better quantum efficiency from BSI. See the improvement between the K3 and K3 III? Well, it's the same image quality improvement between a Pentax K1 and full frame competition.

01-20-2022, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The picture out of Z7II just look amazing, and especially super smooth even when not at base ISO. I'm been looking at many Nikon images, they really shine. Ithink it comes from BSI + dual gain (1 stop gain at higher ISOs + better quantum efficiency from BSI. See the improvement between the K3 and K3 III? Well, it's the same image quality improvement between a Pentax K1 and full frame competition.
That is interesting. The Z7II review on DPR has both cameras pretty similar at ISO 6400...

Maybe better processing by the Nikon shooters? Or is there something I'm missing?
01-20-2022, 10:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Yeah,

Same old thing for everything...

I think that Pentax has made a long run making premium(many seems to not be happy about that either, althou it is needed, but 'they'(me included) can't afford -> bad thing) lenses to get things up to date and they have done excellent work so far with new gen. And we want more! Also that new K-1
best shoot..
01-20-2022, 11:23 AM   #25
Pentaxian

That is interesting. The Z7II review on DPR has both cameras pretty similar at ISO 6400...
Similar yes. We don't need anything.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-20-2022 at 11:29 AM.
01-20-2022, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Similar yes. We don't need anything.
I apologize if I hit a sore spot. Nikon Z system looks great, was just curious for more impressions.
01-20-2022, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The problem isn't the D-FA 21 limited, the problem is that there is no Pentax K1 mark III to use that lens to its potential, unfortunately.
Options would be nice.
01-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I apologize if I hit a sore spot. Nikon Z system looks great, was just curious for more impressions.
The facts are minor improvements between generations of cameras, and minor improvements between formats. From micro4:3 to apsc it's a minor improvement (less than a stop), from apsc to ff it's a stop of improvement (ignoring things like depth of field or shutter speed), from full frame to medium format crop it's a minor improvement. Visually, or in print, the added minor improvement turn into significantly better looking images. I was comparing the GFX100 to Pentax K1, the difference pops, and still the difference between K1 and Z7ii is small, the difference between Z7ii and A7RIV is small and the difference between A7RIV and GFX100 is small and yet K1 print at 300ppi is 60x40cm, GFX100 print at 300ppi is almost twice the size (approx 115x80 cm).
01-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

BSI has no effect on base ISO as far as I know.

I'm reading your comments as "the grass is greener on the other side". I don't think the Z7II has better images (it's mostly down to the lenses at this level, anyway, other than high ISO performance, but that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about since you mention base ISO).
01-20-2022, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

The facts are minor improvements between generations of cameras, and minor improvements between formats. From micro4:3 to apsc it's a minor improvement (less than a stop), from apsc to ff it's a stop of improvement (ignoring things like depth of field or shutter speed), from full frame to medium format crop it's a minor improvement. Visually, or in print, the added minor improvement turn into significantly better looking images. I was comparing the GFX100 to Pentax K1, the difference pops, and still the difference between K1 and Z7ii is small, the difference between Z7ii and A7RIV is small and the difference between A7RIV and GFX100 is small and yet K1 print at 300ppi is 60x40cm, GFX100 print at 300ppi is almost twice the size (approx 115x80 cm).
But how can you tell how much of what you are seeing is the camera, and how much is lenses, better light/better photographer, and the photographer's processing?