Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2022, 07:08 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if the K mount lenses are " twisties "
are the M 42 mount lenses " screwies "
No, the reason lawyers like them is that an M 42 is a turney.

01-23-2022, 07:24 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
No, the reason lawyers like them is that an M 42 is a turney.

perhaps you meant " turnkey " ?
01-23-2022, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #18
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

and a handful of Takumars that I admire:

Super-Takumar 35mm f2 (the early/fat one)

Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 (the 1:1 preset macro)

Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 (the gold standard - everyone should have one at some point)

Takumar 55mm f2.2 (beautiful, simple)

Takumar 58mm f2 (exquisite rendering)

Takumar 105mm f2.8 (another beautiful lens)

(can you tell I prefer the early/presets?)
01-23-2022, 12:51 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Try the 28/3.5 and 35/3.5 in Super Takumar or K Series form. There is also the 55/1.8 (nice little portrait lens on a K-3) and then there is the 85/1.9 - teeny bit softer the 85/1.8 but warmer in image rendition. That should be enough to get you going. Best of luck hunting them down.
Should you decide to take a look at the K series, can recommend these based on my use w/APS-C, using them with my KP:

SMC K 28mm f3.5
SMC K 85mm f1.8
SMC K 135mm f2.5

01-23-2022, 03:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ive used and loved the Auto Takumar 85 1.8, SMC Takumar 85 1.9, and SMC 28 3.5. Loved them all.

K series - 135 2.5, 85 1.8 and my keeper 30 2.8.

Silky smooth and works of art. I miss my AT 85 1.8.
01-23-2022, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
No Takumar collection is complete without a 17mm fisheye............
One of these should be on your short list. It's a neat lens from perspective to construction, and the built in filters on a dial just adds to it.

I'd also add the 15/3.5 aspherical for the collector fix:

SMC Takumar 15mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Extreme Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
01-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Try the 28/3.5 and 35/3.5 in Super Takumar or K Series form. There is also the 55/1.8 (nice little portrait lens on a K-3) and then there is the 85/1.9 - teeny bit softer the 85/1.8 but warmer in image rendition. That should be enough to get you going. Best of luck hunting them down.
Thank you so much for the tips.......i can only say one thing: rabbit hole

01-23-2022, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RocksandRocks Quote
If you really want to get into the weeds about some of these vintage lenses and their specific rendering, I highly recommend Simon's utak Youtube channel. Good luck to your wallet!
I've been really enjoying Simon's videos.....thank you
01-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
The Auto Takumar 35mm f/2.3 has character. It has an unusual physique and fanciful wide open rendering.
Auto Takumar 35mm F2.3 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Also, a book:
The Definitive Asahi Pentax Collector's Guide 1952 - 1977

Hmm. I can't seem to make the direct link work, but the book is available in The Photographer's Marketplace. It's currently on page 4:
The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com

It's an excellent reference tool for Pentax fans.
For what it's worth, an excerpt from page 118 of the book:
"... the Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50 mm [Model I] lens. This lens has 8 lens elements in 6 groups. It was followed by a newly designed lens that yielded a better sharpness and a higher image contrast than its predecessor."
Thank you so much....I will look for this book....I'm enjoying this new direction for me......it's cool to be looking at lenses 40-55 years old that can be bought in very nice condition for 50-300. I enjoyed vintage watches for awhile, but that got ridiculous. It's the hunt that makes any collectible hobby enjoyable. And this forum is so helpful in sharing knowledge.

Thanks again.
01-23-2022, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
S-M-C Takumar 35mm 3.5 is a tiny, and readily available lens, but highly underrated. It's sharp even by today's standards and handles flare well.

S-M-C Takumar 135mm 2.5 (the 6 element one) is probably the best 135mm of its era, and still very capable today.

S-M-C Takumar 85mm 1.8 is truly awesome lens that easily beats its Nikkor equivalent from the era. This one is probably going to be one of the more expensive options.

SMC Takumar 15mm 3.5 is a result of a brief cooperation between Asahi Optical and Zeiss Oberkochen. This is a design that comes in two versions, with and without hand-ground aspherical element. This design was also used in Leica Super Elmar R and Contax/Rollei Distagon, but the aspherical variant was only available in Pentax and Rollei disguise (IIRC). I happen to own this lens and it is pretty well corrected for its era, but ultra wide optics have since developed to much better designs.

SMC Takumar 100mm F4 is a nicely made, sharp 1:2 macro lens that's based on uncommon heliar design.

S-M-C Takumar 200mm F4 is a very nice tele that is often recommended as a budget lens for astrophotography. Nikon was (and still is) the king of telephoto, but this one is certainly a match for its Nikkor equivalent, if not better, due to coatings.
thanks......clearly, today's lenses are tremendous on so many levels. But the fun is shooting with something that didn't cost $1000 or more, is 50 years old and still yields really nice results. I"m sure many of us used MF lenses for a long time......it's second nature to me and slows me down. One thing digital, mirrorless cameras with AF lenses speeds me up, way too much.

William Eggleston only took one shot of a scene he saw. Digital is like a semi automatic......keep shooting and you'll hit something.

I love the old stuff for slowing me down.
01-24-2022, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As allready has been mentioned, you might keep an eye on the K-series as well.

Many if not most of the above mentioned stellar Takumars were transfered from M42 to K-mount.
Also the K-mount version may not resume the mechanical quality of the Takumars it allways lightyears ahead of what most modern lenses show.
The K-mount versions have in general a better version of the SMC multi coating and are sometimes easier to get.

Of the above mentionde Takumars available as K-mount are for example:
15mm / 3.5
17mm / 4.0 Fisheye
55mm / 1.8
85mm / 1.8
125 mm / 2.5 - view test Pentax SMC-K 135mm f/2.5 - Review / Lab Test Report

Please be aware, that the Takumar lenses often have different optical designs despite having the same designation in focal length and maximal aperture. For example the Auto Takumar 85/1.8 and the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85/1.8 (the one mentioned above) are of different optical design. The same is true for the 135mm/2.5.
The later Super-multi-coated and smc variants being the better one from optical design and coating in general.

On the other side there is the 55/1.8 which never changed it's optical design.

I recommend you to have a look at the forum database if you located and object of desire.
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

---------- Post added 01-24-22 at 03:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rbonn Quote
thanks......clearly, today's lenses are tremendous on so many levels. But the fun is shooting with something that didn't cost $1000 or more, is 50 years old and still yields really nice results. I"m sure many of us used MF lenses for a long time......it's second nature to me and slows me down. One thing digital, mirrorless cameras with AF lenses speeds me up, way too much.

William Eggleston only took one shot of a scene he saw. Digital is like a semi automatic......keep shooting and you'll hit something.

I love the old stuff for slowing me down.
Many bread and butter Takumars are quite affordable, but expect the sought after not to be cheap. The 135mm/2.5 is still available at reasonable prices but you should not think you can get a 85mm or 17mm for under $300. Try to guess in which price regions you might locate a 15 mm.
01-24-2022, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Ok, I have two that I really love but nobody has mentioned yet:

Very early Tele-Takumar f5.6 preset, it is sharp, light and tiny. Hard to find, but mine was reasonably priced, probably because of the slow max aperture... It is sharp even wide open.

S-M-C Takumar 150mm f4. Again, small, light and sharp.

Add in a S-M-C 35mm f3.5, a Super Takumar 24mm and a 55mm f2 and you have my Tak family. I have others but on my Tak days I take all of these.

I have also begun collecting K series lenses to go with my M series - no shortage of recommendations in this Forum.

Last edited by Gary H Perth; 01-24-2022 at 05:26 AM.
01-24-2022, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 (the gold standard - everyone should have one at some point)
Thank you for the emphasis on this one. Those who use it know how brightly it shines.

Steve
01-24-2022, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
Many if not most of the above mentioned stellar Takumars were transfered from M42 to K-mount.
It is probably best to not use the general term "Takumar" with qualifying the actual name for the lenses listed. Is it safe to assume those on your list are all Super Takumar or SMC/S-M-C Takumar?

Steve
01-24-2022, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Must have tool for vintage lens collectors is the Geiger counter .
...and a UV lamp?

Steve