Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #46
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
People keep telling me the blue color that my 3 sensors record on the Batiscan River, be it the Pentax K3, the K1 or in this case the 645Z, is totally garish and ridiculous. Nonetheless the other colors seem alright in the scene (the white of the snow, the green trees and the gray rocks, everything looks like they appear to my eye). The intense blue comes from the reflexion of the color of the sky on the water surface; slight underexposure due to the presence of the snow cover makes it appear even more saturated. Should I simply ignore offensive comments or is the picture really "garish" ?

Great example of the blue sky doing it's thing Richard. Note any comment here by me is not an opinion of your photo but a discussion of cause and effect. It is up to you how you like your image. Obviously the blue on the water and even more so the blue in the shaded snow is from the sky. I wouldn't think of it as a reflection as far as the snow is concerned - rather the colour of the available light which is blue sky with the colour neutral sun obscured. When we stand there, taking this scene in, our pesky lil brains filter out these casts for us. So to a non understanding eye the blue cast in a faithfully rendered camera image is not natural. In your case here it seems more unnatural than usual - perhaps you had the camera on vivid?

01-29-2022, 03:14 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, I sometimes use the "VIVID" color palette or the "LANDSCAPE" palette. Both of these render about the same results.

THX !

P.S. But this river is "darn blue" when the sun shines ...