Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2022, 09:59 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Durf Quote
I doubt that you'll regret buying the 21mm! This 21mm is now my main landscape lens and almost always on my K1, replacing my much larger 24-70mm and IRIX 15mm. My kit is trimmed down to the 21mm, 43mm, 100mm macro WR. I can do most of my landscapes and nature photography with just these 3 lenses alone. My kit is MUCH LIGHTER now!
I wholeheartedly agree. My daily kit comprises the K1ii with D FA 21, as well as the Voigtländer 40mm f/2.0 and 90mm f/3.5. Relatively small and lightweight kit delivering absolutely superb image quality!

Cheers!

Abbazz

02-02-2022, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My kit is trimmed down to the 21mm, 43mm, 100mm macro WR. I can do most of my landscapes and nature photography with just these 3 lenses alone. My kit is MUCH LIGHTER now!
If only that 43mm was WR! With the 21 and 100 you're got good protection.
02-02-2022, 06:38 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If only that 43mm was WR! With the 21 and 100 you're got good protection.
Funny you mention this as my 43mm got drizzled on pretty good today! I normally don't like shooting in the rain so I think this 43 will likely outlast me. I love the 43mm focal length when the 21mm is too wide. These 3 lenses really do look very similar except for size, the 100 actually could pass for a limited in my opinion.
Awesome trio of kit!

---------- Post added 02-02-22 at 06:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
I wholeheartedly agree. My daily kit comprises the K1ii with D FA 21, as well as the Voigtländer 40mm f/2.0 and 90mm f/3.5. Relatively small and lightweight kit delivering absolutely superb image quality!

Cheers!

Abbazz
Your shooting about the same kit as I am, 3 lenses like this are extremely capable of covering a lot of territory!
02-03-2022, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny you mention this as my 43mm got drizzled on pretty good today! I normally don't like shooting in the rain so I think this 43 will likely outlast me. I love the 43mm focal length when the 21mm is too wide. These 3 lenses really do look very similar except for size, the 100 actually could pass for a limited in my opinion.
Awesome trio of kit!

---------- Post added 02-02-22 at 06:45 PM ----------

Your shooting about the same kit as I am, 3 lenses like this are extremely capable of covering a lot of territory!
I think unsealed primes are probably less risky than unsealed zooms with a little precipitation, but I would still be careful. Water and electronics don't mix very well.

02-03-2022, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

the 100 actually could pass for a limited in my opinion.
I agree, and wrote as such in the past. Nowadays, I find the weak AF a bit annoying, and the purple fringing shows up more on full frame than it did on APS-C. Still, it's a fantastic and compact lens.
02-04-2022, 03:31 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, and wrote as such in the past. Nowadays, I find the weak AF a bit annoying, and the purple fringing shows up more on full frame than it did on APS-C. Still, it's a fantastic and compact lens.
I don't know that the FA limiteds are that great from a fringing standpoint either -- my experience with the 77 and 31 indicates it is as much a problem with them as with my DFA 100 macro WR.
02-04-2022, 05:03 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There are some signs that perhaps Pentax sensor configuration and coatings going back to old SMC don't play down CA as much as some of the competition. In this thorough chinese optical analysis and review ????????????????DFA21mm F2.4 Limited? - ???? the author notices (translation caveat) that the DFA21 fringes less adapted on a Sony camera. There are also some suggestions that the excellent Pentax coatings have better transmittance at the edges of the spectrum which may result in stronger CA.

All speculation and lose bits of info. Still interesting and it's of course likely that the downsides are accepted due to upsides in other areas.

02-04-2022, 06:03 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know that the FA limiteds are that great from a fringing standpoint either -- my experience with the 77 and 31 indicates it is as much a problem with them as with my DFA 100 macro WR.
None are perfect, granted, but I notice it more with the 100 macro WR.

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
the author notices (translation caveat) that the DFA21 fringes less adapted on a Sony camera.
That would be something interesting to test. I could do that, although the difference in sensor resolution between my K-1 and Sony camera will fudge the results.
02-04-2022, 07:27 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None are perfect, granted, but I notice it more with the 100 macro WR.
The optical design is showing its age. Other current macro lenses, like the IRIX 150mm or Laowa 100mm show less, but neither of them handles harsh contrast as well as the DFA100WR. In some situations, fringes that the DAF100WR would show are simply covered up by flares by other lenses.
02-17-2022, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

So getting back to the topic of the thread, I'm now at a crossroads.

I've sold enough lenses I no longer need to buy the DFA21 and spending any other money to do so, just as I promised my wife. With the lens happily waiting in my B&H cart for that sure to come purchase button press, I had a lens fall into my lap totally unplanned, and the price far too good to pass up. I received what was described as a "used but acceptable" DFA15-30 yesterday that I had fully expected would be returned as inoperable, long story, but as it turns out it was brand-new never ever taken out of the box. Manna from Heaven so to speak.

Here's the thing though. This lens is absolutely perfect in both appearance and function. Zero focus adjustments needed, weight is a non-issue considering some of my other recent Pentax lens purchases, ie DFA 70-200 and 85. Heck, all the best glass has a bit of heft to it, and the photos from the 15-30 it are as clean and sharp as I would expect from premium Pentax glass. Shocked at the lack of barrel distortion for such a wide lens, so impressive results from a lens I had never considered but perhaps should have. With 100+ shots with it in the last 12 hours it's performed a whole lot better than I would have thought. Nice stuff!

But that wider range hasn't ever been one that I use very much. Occasional landscapes, but even there I tend to go with round about 30-50mm ranges on my K1. Cityscapes are rare, as are other photo ops that benefit from a very wide lens. With that out of the way, while it may not be a range I use all that often, I still want a professional-grade lens when the situation begs for it and the 15-30 looks to fit that bill and more. Absolutely nothing to complain about so far. I consider myself lucky to have one, yet I'm still intrigued by the 21.

With the DFA21 positioned smack in the middle of the 15-30 range, would the close focus with amazing bokeh I've been seeing make it a more compelling lens and thus more likely that I use it? When it was initially announced I had already said it wasn't a lens that interested me, but as time has gone on and images were posted it became a whole lot more interesting. Photos have had some of the cleanest OOC transitions with wonderfully creamy backgrounds I've seen produced from any Pentax lens. From indoor to seaside the photos have been screaming "Buy Me!" and trust me, I've been listening.

So will the DFA21 deliver goods that the 15-30 isn't capable of, or does the experience of some of our very talented Pentax users make the biggest difference between the two? Weight is a total non-issue for me, and size is not a deal-breaker. I know we have a few Pentaxians who have owned both, and I'll be perfectly content with sticking to what I was fortunate enough to find if that's the general consensus from those who know the two lenses intimately. I'm definitely not unhappy with the 15-30. On the contrary it's the only reason I now have my doubts about the 21. TBH I could probably do both but that's out-of-the-question. I'm 100% certain I wouldn't benefit from it, one or the other would need dusting every few months and deserve a better home to play in, and the wife still has some projects I need to take care of. Priorities, happy wife happy life and all that.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-17-2022 at 11:30 AM.
02-17-2022, 05:53 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if you have been so fortunate in finding a perfect DFA 15-30mm at a bargain price, and don't mind the weight and size, I'd say just enjoy the versatile framing only a great zoom lens can deliver!! This is a super fine lens in every way.

As to myself, I would not consider getting the DFA 15-30mm, as great a lens as it is, mainly because of its weight and size, though now I also have the very fine K-1 II and like it very much. I like what I am getting from my old Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 for my WA zoom needs on my K-1 II, and at a small fraction of the weight and size of the excellent DFA 15-30mm lens. I also have the FA HD 35mm f/2 and the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited for my fast, high-quality WA primes. This means the DFA 21mm f/2.4 Limited would fit right in, and not with blunderbuss size and weight. So I am indeed interested in this lens, as it is such a logical choice for my own particular needs.

I still use my KP most often. The new FF 21mm lens would still be very good with the KP as a faster WA extra fine quality prime lens, and with WR. I have my DA HD 15mm and DA 21mm Ltds for extra-compact carrying. I also nailed a brand new perfect Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 with which I am very happy, and this setup is again a very small fraction of the weight and size of the K-1 II with the DFA 15-30mm, so my ultra-wide zoom requirements are handsomely met along with relative compactness.

I am definitely considering the DFA 21mm Ltd with more and more seriousness!

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-17-2022 at 07:07 PM.
02-17-2022, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

I am still in the Honeymoon Period with the DFA 21, so the 15-30 isn't getting any use at the moment. However, I'm sure it will resurface in time.

---------- Post added 18-02-22 at 01:50 PM ----------

The 100mm f/2.8 macro has been updated several times in the past: from F to FA to D FA to D FA WR, all optically the same. Must be time for another refresh, perhaps more substantial this time.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 02-17-2022 at 07:52 PM.
02-17-2022, 07:57 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I still use my KP most often. The new FF 21mm lens would still be very good with the KP
The DFA21 is a lot of fun to use on the KP, the combination is a little front heavy which means the KP+ grip will tend to keel over with the DFA21 mounted.

Pentax KP SMCP-HD- D-FA21mm f/2.4 EX ASPH Limited.

The close focus ability of the DAF21 on APS-C cameras makes for a lot of fun close ups.
02-18-2022, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
So getting back to the topic of the thread, I'm now at a crossroads.

I've sold enough lenses I no longer need to buy the DFA21 and spending any other money to do so, just as I promised my wife. With the lens happily waiting in my B&H cart for that sure to come purchase button press, I had a lens fall into my lap totally unplanned, and the price far too good to pass up. I received what was described as a "used but acceptable" DFA15-30 yesterday that I had fully expected would be returned as inoperable, long story, but as it turns out it was brand-new never ever taken out of the box. Manna from Heaven so to speak.

Here's the thing though. This lens is absolutely perfect in both appearance and function. Zero focus adjustments needed, weight is a non-issue considering some of my other recent Pentax lens purchases, ie DFA 70-200 and 85. Heck, all the best glass has a bit of heft to it, and the photos from the 15-30 it are as clean and sharp as I would expect from premium Pentax glass. Shocked at the lack of barrel distortion for such a wide lens, so impressive results from a lens I had never considered but perhaps should have. With 100+ shots with it in the last 12 hours it's performed a whole lot better than I would have thought. Nice stuff!

But that wider range hasn't ever been one that I use very much. Occasional landscapes, but even there I tend to go with round about 30-50mm ranges on my K1. Cityscapes are rare, as are other photo ops that benefit from a very wide lens. With that out of the way, while it may not be a range I use all that often, I still want a professional-grade lens when the situation begs for it and the 15-30 looks to fit that bill and more. Absolutely nothing to complain about so far. I consider myself lucky to have one, yet I'm still intrigued by the 21.

With the DFA21 positioned smack in the middle of the 15-30 range, would the close focus with amazing bokeh I've been seeing make it a more compelling lens and thus more likely that I use it? When it was initially announced I had already said it wasn't a lens that interested me, but as time has gone on and images were posted it became a whole lot more interesting. Photos have had some of the cleanest OOC transitions with wonderfully creamy backgrounds I've seen produced from any Pentax lens. From indoor to seaside the photos have been screaming "Buy Me!" and trust me, I've been listening.

So will the DFA21 deliver goods that the 15-30 isn't capable of, or does the experience of some of our very talented Pentax users make the biggest difference between the two? Weight is a total non-issue for me, and size is not a deal-breaker. I know we have a few Pentaxians who have owned both, and I'll be perfectly content with sticking to what I was fortunate enough to find if that's the general consensus from those who know the two lenses intimately. I'm definitely not unhappy with the 15-30. On the contrary it's the only reason I now have my doubts about the 21. TBH I could probably do both but that's out-of-the-question. I'm 100% certain I wouldn't benefit from it, one or the other would need dusting every few months and deserve a better home to play in, and the wife still has some projects I need to take care of. Priorities, happy wife happy life and all that.
Just to chime in a bit. As I do have DFA15-30 and I don’t mind the heft either. I’d say that it should be able to full full your needs 100% unless you value bokeh in close focus high.

So you can just unsubscribe from this thread and focus on that last sentence you wrote

I’m going to get 21, when my funds permits… wife’s going to kill me… no, I’m joking…sure.

But I’m going to sell my very good copy of 15-30, but I’m going to buy DA* 11-18. Weight does bother when you are travelling and seems that things are going to change. So, 11-18+21 will make sense even if I’d have K-1 let alone K-3III with me. Saving some space for DFA*70-200( ) .

Ofcourse other limiteds are coming on board too…
03-10-2022, 09:13 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I am still in the Honeymoon Period with the DFA 21, so the 15-30 isn't getting any use at the moment. However, I'm sure it will resurface in time.

---------- Post added 18-02-22 at 01:50 PM ----------

The 100mm f/2.8 macro has been updated several times in the past: from F to FA to D FA to D FA WR, all optically the same. Must be time for another refresh, perhaps more substantial this time.
So how much use is the 15-30 getting now that you've had the 21 for a while? Has the honeymoon been extended and do you prefer it to the 15-30?